• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Settlement in $105M lawsuit over NBC's 'To Catch a Predator'

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Settlement in $105M lawsuit over NBC's 'To Catch a Predator'

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thursday, June 26th 2008, 8:37 AM
NBC Universal has settled a $105 million lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed a televised sex sting by "Dateline NBC: To Catch A Predator" drove her brother to kill himself.

"The matter has been amicably resolved to the satisfaction of both parties," said a statement released by both sides. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Patricia Conradt's lawsuit had claimed her brother, a suburban Dallas prosecutor, fatally shot himself after he was accused of engaging in a sexually explicit online chat with an adult posing as a 13-year-old boy.

The lawsuit claimed NBC "steamrolled" authorities to arrest Louis William Conradt Jr. after telling police he failed to show up at a sting operation 35 miles away.
NBC was working with the activist group Perverted Justice on the sting, in which people impersonating children established online chats with men and tried to lure them to a house, where they were met by TV cameras and police.

In February, a federal judge issued a scathing ruling in the case, saying a jury might conclude the network "crossed the line from responsible journalism to irresponsible and reckless intrusion into law enforcement."

U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said the lawsuit contained sufficient facts to make it plausible that the suicide was foreseeable, that police had a duty to protect Conradt from killing himself and that the officers and NBC acted with deliberate indifference.

New episodes of "To Catch A Predator" ended in December, with the future of the series uncertain.
"Right now we are working on other investigative stories focusing on national security and the economy," NBC spokeswoman Jenny Tartikoff said Wednesday in an e-mail. "If we do more, we want to make sure we are complementing past investigations not just repeating them."

I hope they don't cancel it, now I'll never see them catch BC preying on Danny.

So-called "journalism" in this country is despicable.

A guy allegedly had a coversation online, the party making said allegations has a great financial interest in sensationalizing the situation for ratings. They therefore decide to show up at his house because they can't bait him in to showing up at their stake out.

I'd be extremely interested to know which side prompted this online conversation, and if NBC specifically targeted this guy, trying to get some kind of figurehead.

Isn't this awful close to entrapment?

Its the same amount of entrapment as prostitute stings and fake drug dealers

If I was the judge I believe I would say, "Oh well one less crazy on the street."

The guy was a peder-ass that couldn't handle the world knowing he was a peder-ass, and now his family wants to sue.

You have got to be kidding me.

He chatted with an Adult posing as a 13 year-old.... That's such a gray area I mean the person on the other end was actually an adult so what crime did he commit? It's a really tough predicament, I mean I would love to see all the pervs who prey on children on line and physically burned alive but a conversation with an adult pretending to be a kid is hard to call.....I think the show should stick to busting guys who actually meet up with the posing 13 year old and just let law enforcement handle the guys who chat but never show up.........

Back