• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Training for a Big Bench

AKIRA

I am Rollo Tomassee..
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Well, Bench for starters...Ill do other shit too, if I can.

The doc gave me the OK to workout my upper body and to be careful with certain exercises that cause pain (but ZERO lower body, which sucks) and bench is one of the exercises I can do with no pain.

After reading the stickies from Cow, this is what I did today (minus the warm ups)

Active stretched lower back areas as directed by the doc.

DB Scarecrows
8lbs for 2 sets, 10 reps (30 sec RI)

Reverse DB Scarecrows
same weight, same reps, same RI

Arm Circles
8lbs for 2 sets, 10 circles

Barbell Bench
135lbs for 2 sets, 12 reps
185lbs for 1 set, 10 reps (warm up)
205lbs for 2 sets, 12 reps (90 sec RI)
same weight for 1 set, 8 reps, spotted for the next 3, had nothing left for a 12th rep (90 sec RI)
same weight for 1 set, failed at 5, had nothing left at 6th ( :laugh: 90 sec RI)

Wide Grip BB Bench
155lbs for 2 sets, 10 reps (60 sec RI)

Close Grip BB Bench
155lbs for 1 set, 10 reps
same weight for 1 set, 6 reps (failed) rest paused for 15 sec, then fired out last 2 reps (60 sec RI both)

Cable Incline Crossover (unilaterally)
40lbs for 1 set, 12 reps
50lbs for 1 set, 12 reps ( 60 sec RI both)

Cambered bar Pushdown
70lbs for 2 sets, 12 reps (30 sec RI)

As you can see from my last MAX, 4x12 @ 65% 1RM is NOT 205lbs, but I had to be reasonable. I hadnt workedout in 4 weeks and hadnt done bench press in even more time, so my max had to had gone down.

Anyway, I believe the weak link is my triceps. I couldnt finish my close grip bench AND when my arms were reaching full extension, thats when I fatigued big time. I wasnt going to do any tricep work, but I dont know, thats where I want suggestions.

No pain by the way. And this was my frist day back to the gym with Maximum Pump, Matrix, and CEE at work. It obviously didnt keep my original strength.

I couldnt stop laughing when I could only get 6 reps of 205lbs..

Why can't u work lower body?? I know ur back's been bothering you, but what did the doc say about it?? Do you know what it is now??

Bulged disk pinching the sciatic nerve in the L5 area. Its weird, but squatting (Bodyweight) does nothing to my back or problematic areas, but doc says no and I gotta follow his instructions.

Im happy enough just ot be back in the gym. Even if its horrible.

You have no big pulling movements in there. A strong upper back is absolutely key for a big bench press. You should see the upper back volume some powerlifters implement. I often see them training their backs on both bench days and then on one or both of their squat/deadlift days as well.

Looks like you're going with the linear periodization scheme?

You have no big pulling movements in there. A strong upper back is absolutely key for a big bench press. You should see the upper back volume some powerlifters implement. I often see them training their backs on both bench days and then on one or both of their squat/deadlift days as well.

Looks like you're going with the linear periodization scheme?

Thats a big 10-4 on the linear periodization! :thumb: However, I couldnt finish this intensity, so I am thinking I should do it until its completed yes?

I was going to do a pull on another day. I wasnt sure how to incorporate a pull into this push day, maybe you can suggest one.

But tomorrow I was going to try setting this up for pullups or maybe some rows. Not sure yet, until I try. Today was basically a 'test.' With the abdominal pressure going on, I wasnt sure if it was going to pinch the nerve, but luckily it didnt, so I ran with it.

With rows, I can maybe do hammer strength, spider rows, but bent over rows? I HIGHLY doubt it. But we wont know until I try.

In any case, I started THIS thread on the bench cuz I figured this feedback can be applied with weighted pullups, rows, and hopefully soon, squats. Not so sure about deadlifts happening soon... I do NOT want a set back.

Back