• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Weighing Food?

ss4vegeta1

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I just finished making some chicken and rice. I measured them raw but I made too much chicken and prior to cooking I was gonna use what I need 300g and save the 187g for the following day. Is that wrong? I mean after cooking the value will be altered now right? So would you say its best to weigh out the exact raw quantities needed?

Also with the effect of cooking does one need to add to it to balance it out?

For eg

I need 150g of chicken for my second meal. If the cooking method adds weight or minuses weight should I add enough chicken to equal 150g? That could be water from the pot or should I minus it if its higher? Can someone simplify this? Thanks so much in advance.

I don't know what the standard is, but I always weigh meat after cooking, then look up it's nutritional value for that cooking method to add to myfitnesspal

I don't know what the standard is, but I always weigh meat after cooking, then look up it's nutritional value for that cooking method to add to myfitnesspal

Yeah I did some looking into it and I found that raw is more accurate but after is fine just as long as one looks up the cooked version as they are not the same.

Most all nutritionist will say to measure or weigh all foods in the raw. Reading about most ifbb pros' diet, it seems they also weigh in the raw. For example Branch Warren.

Evan Centopani is known for being extremely meticulous about his diet and measures in the raw which is the correct way. In your case, you said that you needed 300 grams or 10.7 ounces. You would then cook 300 grams RAW which comes out to 225 grams baked or about <200 grams grilled. The longer you cook it the more moisture it loses, that's why you have to measure raw. Think about eating 300 grams of chicken jerky that has been dehydrated, that's way to much!

I always wonder about all the fat that cooks out and runs off into the pan. Fat has 225% more calories per gram than protein. I think it's a good question OP and always enjoy the pros & cons that this question brings up.

Shelby has me weigh cooked rather than raw

IML Gear Cream!
personally i weigh after cooking so i can have a clear idea of my macros after cooking

How would the macros change?

From what I understand macro-nutrients don't change only the amount of water in said item which changes the density of the nutrients. So a piece of chicken that is raw will have the same amount of protein when it is cooked it will just have less water. Meaning that the 5 oz piece of chicken will now weigh 3 oz with the same amount of protein as before. Now if your burning that crap out of your food that will change the content.

Either way (measuring your food before or after you cook it) should work as long as you look up the item that corresponds with your measurement. So if you weighing cooked make sure the macros your looking up are for that item cooked not just that item.

bag up all my meat raw nice big bags of 1.5 kilo of beef or chicken slap it in the freezer!

each bag gets me through the day.

as for weighing up food well i did for a long time its a pain in the ass.. but you will start to get a good idea of how much is what with rice ect...

unless you are competing or something i wouldnt get to cuaght up about it belive me i got obssesed with having every thing to the gram, the main thing is to just f**KING eat every few hours 3 hours apart maximum.

you know the score high protein healthy fats and adjust carbs to your goals ans sensitivity to threm

denaturing proteins like with eggs also look into true protein content of foods oce cooked ! gl let me know hpw it goes

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yeah denaturing is like the definition of cooking but from what I've seen so far denatured proteins like in cooked eggs are more digestible. Basically proteins are amino-acids connected together by secondary and tertiary bonds and these are the bonds affect by denaturing. So, all the amino-acids in the protein are still in tact.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full That study is on eggs and also the first thing that pops up when you Google "true protien content of food once cooked".

So then you knew that the protein content in eggs does not change when cooked yet argued against it?:geewhiz:

Back