• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Priority? Lose weight/Gain muscle

SamuelTaylor

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have read the articles but am still confused. I am 49, obese, have lost much muscle mass over the years (hate skinny chicken legs). So do I lose weight first or gain mass first or try to do both? I have read that muscle mass helps burn calories and ramp up metabolic rate? should I do a month of gains and a month of weight lose? Lots of aerobics and high rep lifting? :hmmm:

For you I would focus on losing the fat first, since at your age your more prone to or atleast will start becoming more prone to metabolic syndrome, heart problems, diabetes etc. And having excess fat especially around your tummy increases your risk for those things. You can still keep most of your muscle mass while loosing your weight, just keep to a good routine and diet. Hope that helps.

So do I lose weight first or gain mass first or try to do both?

Lose the fat first.

In regards to health markers, quality of life, and athletic performance, you'll experience the greatest benefit by dropping the fat as opposed to the few pounds of muscle that you'll be able to put on.
I have read that muscle mass helps burn calories and ramp up metabolic rate?
Muscle tissue may be more "demanding" than fat tissue and therefore more energy may be required to maintain it. However, this should have no importance to you in practice. As mentioned earlier, forget about the muscle for a bit...you're priority should be to drop the fat.

should I do a month of gains and a month of weight lose?
Drop the fat until you feel like you are in good shape. A 32 or 34in pant size is probably the easiest to measure marker.

Lots of aerobics and high rep lifting?

Losing the fat isn't the entirety of the idea -- you need to create a foundation to allow yourself to stay in shape. Anybody can lose a bunch of weight by doing what you mentioned but very few people are able to maintain on those modalities of training.

Read the link in my signature for information on how to get started. Feel free to ask questions.

Nothing wrong with lifting weights to lose weight and get in shape. I think your primary focus should be learning how to train and eat properly, and working to get the weight off before you worry about bulking.

Thanks all! Sounds like a consensus. I have started making some good habits. Sticking with chicken and fish and working out 45 minutes a day last week. Lost 10 lbs. I used to be 375 due to a health problem but am at 278 now at 5 11.

Last edited:
I have decided to reward myself with a membership at a local gym. They offer $9.95/month with no contracts. I can focus on riding my bike or other aerobics and lift weights on off days.

I'd recommend seeking professional advice because there can be health side effects involved with losing large amounts of weight.

In theory however I'd recommend losing the weight first (at least getting down to a level you feel comfortable with) and then working on building muscle mass. You'll find it much much easier and you'll see faster results.

Good luck!

IML Gear Cream!
Good Job! Losing weight should be your number 1 goal, specially at your age (cardiovascular and metabolic risk). There will be plenty of time to add muscle later.

Back