• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Need Macro Help

Charter

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Here's the deal. I need some help with my macro's.

I'm 20, 6'6 300lb male, I'd guess at around 30% BF. I've worked out basically since I was 12 year's old with the exception of the last 2 years. Lost 45lbs in the last 6 months, with some solid work effort and some healthier diet changes. So far though I haven't really invested must effort in consciously manage my diet other then just attempting to eat healthier, but for the next 45 I realize I'm going to have to diet seriously.

The problem is managing my macro's. Which is my main question.

What should I be looking at on a cut calorie wise?

2800-3000?

Or much less? By tracking my macros the last week and overall comfort level I'd say satiety is good at 2000 a day however, I'm trying to taking in at least 1g/lb protein however maintain a 40/40/20 p/c/f ratio.

That leaves me with 3000cal a day which is roughly 10c/lb.

Should I reduce protein, carbs, or fat in favor of the caloric deficit seeing as how I'm fine with it hunger/energy wise?

I'm just unsure of how to balance everything. Protein intake vs caloric intake vs p/c/f ratio.

Thanks for the help.

Do I have a post for you!

Link in my sig on getting started - read it. :)

Give us an idea of how you eat now....what foods, how often, how many calories per day, what and when you cheat with ect.

The best way to lose fat is to do it slowly, crash diets are worthless IMO. Make a few small changes every few weeks and learn your body as you go.

Patrick, that's what the link in my sig asks, too. You should read it so you know what it says. And I disagree about crash dieting - there is at least one safe and effective way to do that: PSMF. It ain't fun though...

Patrick, that's what the link in my sig asks, too. You should read it so you know what it says. And I disagree about crash dieting - there is at least one safe and effective way to do that: PSMF. It ain't fun though...

It's not? I have tons of fun seeing results fast, I'm impatient ;)

I'd also consider UD 2.0 and IF "crash" diets by how they're run so chalk up 2 more "crash" diets that are just awesome.

I never said crash diets did not work......they just don't work in the long run for most people.

Changing how we eat as a lifestyle is always better, safer and more effective than a crash diet IMO. Now that Jan 1 is coming up, we are going to see lots of people who believe a quick 2 month diet can get them in shape, 95% of them will be disappointed.

I'll see if I can address the questions and concerns without quoting directly.

Built - I've read the sticky. I'd say I'm pretty informed. I've lurked the boards for 5-6 years now at different points looking for training,supplemental, and diet advice. The main question is still as stands. I can cut at 3000c with enough protein, and proper macro ratio, however I'm comfortable at 2000c as far as satiety goes, and am wondering should I balance my macros to reflect my caloric intake or keep the 1g/1lb protein and reduce cal's from either carbs or fats? I realize that it might just be a balancing act from person to person, and if that's the case feel free to let me know.

Patrick - I eat healthy. The largest part of my calorie intake that has lead to my weight gain is probably in liquid form. Tea, Soda, Beer, Juices, etc. Quick example day.

B - 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, bowl of ole'fashion oatmeal

Snack/PWO - 2 scoops WheyProIso, teaspoon of all natty PB

Lunch - varies, usually attempt 40-50g protein, a salad/vegetable side

snack/shake - 2scoops PWI

dinner - varies, similar to lunch, little more calorie intake here though

latenight - 1scoop PWI

That's been it thus far. Cut out all drinks that don't spell h2o, and staying away from common distractions. I'm not a huge fan of sweets or fried food in general and less so as I've gotten older so that's worked in my favor.

As far as cheating goes - wings on game day, sugar in the coffee instead of an AS.

Believe me when I say I'm not one of those people who joins a gym at the first of the year and by the end of Feb. have stop going. I've worked out most of my semi-adult life so I have a solid base to go off strength/stamina wise so I don't find myself down-trodden early. Beyond all that though, I have a genuine love-hate relationship with the gym. I love the smell, the sound of the metal moving, the callouses, the post-work out high. Hate puking, hate the last set on squat, hate talking heads on treadmills.

I'd be willing to try PSMF. I've read good things. I could go into details with some personal concerns I have with it, but overall I'd be willing to try it. More importantly though I'd like to get a general idea of where I should be at macro's wise on a normal cut,main,bulk(the latter 2 will have to wait obviously until we see where I am after the full cut).

2000 cal for a 6'6'' 300lb guy would be way too low IMO. I only decrease your calories when you stop losing weight, and then by only 500 cal at a time.

Also if you do go to low in total calories you could and probably will put your body in starvation mode and that will burn more muscle then fat.

2000 cal for a 6'6'' 300lb guy would be way too low IMO. I only decrease your calories when you stop losing weight, and then by only 500 cal at a time.

Also if you do go to low in total calories you could and probably will put your body in starvation mode and that will burn more muscle then fat.

I think your info is a bit out of date. As long as you keep a high protein diet (1g - 1.5g per lb/lbm) and hit your minimum fats (0.5g per lb/lbm) and work with heavy weights in resistance training, you will maintain the majority of your muscle.

That's the entire premise behind running a PSMF at the most basic level.

As for the starvation mode, read Brad Pilon (Eat Stop Eat). He cites research that for 2-3 days not only does your metabolism not decrease, it actually increases. And that's with complete fasting.

I think your info is a bit out of date. As long as you keep a high protein diet (1g - 1.5g per lb/lbm) and hit your minimum fats (0.5g per lb/lbm) and work with heavy weights in resistance training, you will maintain the majority of your muscle.

As for the starvation mode, read Brad Pilon (Eat Stop Eat). He cites research that for 2-3 days not only does your metabolism not decrease, it actually increases. And that's with complete fasting.
I respectfully disagree.

I love KETO and low cal diets and they have worked well for me.....but for most of the population they do not work over the long haul. It is always better to learn how to eat right.....that kind of behavior change makes a lasting impression.

IML Gear Cream!

Not on a PSMF. Not if it's done properly. Read Lyle's book.

There has been a lot of really good stuff written lately. Thank God!
I respectfully disagree.

I love KETO and low cal diets and they have worked well for me.....but for most of the population they do not work over the long haul. It is always better to learn how to eat right.....that kind of behavior change makes a lasting impression.
First up, there is nothing wrong with doing a PSMF to get the weight off and then transitioning into maintenance dieting.

Second, we are not gen. pop. here - we're strength athletes. And the OP will likely keep all his muscle if he does this right.

You read Lyle's books? He's a very good read.

Not on a PSMF. Not if it's done properly. Read Lyle's book.

There has been a lot of really good stuff written lately. Thank God!

First up, there is nothing wrong with doing a PSMF to get the weight off and then transitioning into maintenance dieting.

Second, we are not gen. pop. here - we're strength athletes. And the OP will likely keep all his muscle if he does this right.

You read Lyle's books? He's a very good read.

I'm not overly concerned with maximum muscle retention during the cut. I realize that more muscle is beneficial to fat loss, however, I don't feel it's as important to me as say a strength athlete or someone who's new to the weight room. In other words, I'm willing to take the loss in muscle for the loss in fat, I'm not lacking in one, and definitely have too much of the other. That being said, no reason to not train in the most beneficial manner.

You appear to have your head on and it is obvious that you know your body quite well at this point.

Can you tell me what macros you are running currently? Just a ballpark of grams protein, carb and fat, and total calories, on average, given that this is the level you have run to drop an average of just under two pounds a week for the last six months.

Also, can you describe your current workout setup?

And finally, I'm assuming you'll be aiming for around 10-12% and you are currently 300 lbs at 30% bodyfat, so you'll hit 10-12% at 230-240 lbs if you neither gain nor lose muscle along the way. What is your timeline and what is your target bodyfat level?

10%-12% at 230-240LBs? That's going to be wicked.

You appear to have your head on and it is obvious that you know your body quite well at this point.

Can you tell me what macros you are running currently? Just a ballpark of grams protein, carb and fat, and total calories, on average, given that this is the level you have run to drop an average of just under two pounds a week for the last six months.

Also, can you describe your current workout setup?

And finally, I'm assuming you'll be aiming for around 10-12% and you are currently 300 lbs at 30% bodyfat, so you'll hit 10-12% at 230-240 lbs if you neither gain nor lose muscle along the way. What is your timeline and what is your target bodyfat level?

250-300g protein / 75-100g carbs / 100-130g fat

2000-2400 calories a day. I don't weigh my food. Over the course of a day I'd give the variation a smaller margine of error then that however that's a broad spectrum as some days I take in less carbs and likewise fat, not intentionally, but by eating habits alone. If I feel like I'm low on fat which I monitor closely I'll have some natty PB in the PWO. As far as carbs go I'm a huge fan of fruit and vegetables always have been.

Like I said before my main empty calorie in-take was from liquids...I think. Ha.

I do P/P/L

I vary the routine weekly. I lift heavy. A typical leg day.

Stretch thoroughly on leg day (I've always had poor hip flexability)

Squat 3x5
Walking weighted lunges 3x10 (both legs 10 steps)
Normal deads (sometimes I do sumo, hips again helps to a degree with form) 3x5
Calf Raises - 3x8 weighted

Pull

Rows 3x5
Standing Curls 3x8
DB Flyes - 3x8
Shrugs - 3x8

Push

Military Press 3x5
BP 3x5
Incline DB Press 3x8
Shoulder Press 3x5

I change stuff up, LM pulls, power cleans, dumbell squats.

Abs on pull day.

Box for fun.

That about covers it.

Well listen - you're currently running a roughly what, 750 a day deficit, ballparkish, probably your maintenance is around 3000 -3200 or so a day; you're taking in at least a gram of protein and at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM, you train short and heavy and you're dropping nicely.

Aside from tossing in the occasional diet break, and as you lean out, the occasional carbup, I'd say you're doing great.

:)

Thanks for the help and the advice. Eliminating all the variables is the key to success for me; so a little micro-management is necessary for me to feel comfortable with my plan going forward.

Back