• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

500K lawsuit settlement for kids forced to eat lunch on New Jersey school floor.

NVRBDR

Pushing The Limits
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
$500,000 for New Jersey school kids forced to eat on floor - Yahoo! News

(Reuters) - Seven students at a Camden, New Jersey, school forced to eat lunch on a gymnasium floor for two weeks as punishment won a $500,000 legal settlement, their attorney said on Tuesday.
The 2008 incident involved fifth-grade students at the Charles Sumner Elementary School who were disciplined after one child spilled water as he tried to lift a jug onto a cooler, said the lawyer,Alan Schorr.
The students filed a federal lawsuit against the Camden Board of Education, which agreed to the settlement, the attorney said.
He said the incident took place against a backdrop of discord between the black and Hispanic populations in the impoverished southern New Jersey city. The children were Hispanic.
Schorr said the vice principal, who was black, punished all 15 students in a bilingual class by making them eat off paper liners normally used on lunch trays. (While there were 15 students in the class, only seven sued.)
"The African American kids were eating at tables, with trays, taunting these Hispanic kids who were forced to eat on the ground," Schorr said.
The vice principal has since transferred.
The children's teacher was fired after encouraging them to tell their parents about the punishment. The teacher won a $75,000 settlement earlier.
Neither school officials nor their lawyers could be reached for comment.
(Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst and Ciro Scotti)

I'm glad they won.

Holy shit! Good for them. That is degrading, and the teacher was fired for trying to alert their parents about what was going on. It sucks that the vice principal kept his job.

When I was in high school, me and 3 other kids left school early. I got suspended for a day. The other three kids didn't, and it was because their parents went to the same church as the principal. One of the teachers thought it was bullshit and told my mom who then told my dad. Now, my dad was a fierce asshole, but he didn't fuck around when he thought someone was doing anything to the his family. That Friday, my dad had words with the principle at my football game. I have no idea what he said, but the following Monday, I was called to the office to talk with the principal. He apologized for his error and said my suspension was removed from my record. The last comment about hoping that he never has to see me again was suddenly more funny to me than it may have been intended.

Long story short, fuck public schools.

Long story short, fuck public schools.

private schools are no better except for a lot more heavy drug users...

Im glad for them, sucks the vice principle didn't get fired, they should have hammered his ass!

This is why its so hard to find good teachers anymore.

This is why its so hard to find good teachers anymore.

will be even harder in the future with the current attack on US teachers by the radical right. US teachers are already underpaid compared to their foreign counterparts. with the current dumbing down of US citizenry as a whole the ability for the US to compete in a global economy gets worst and worst as we move away from all the best practices observed in the OECD and recommended by the PISA.

private schools are no better except for a lot more heavy drug users...

Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...

One kid spills water, 15 were punished, 7 sued, all with racial high tension at the core, there is more to this story. that sounds like BS

The lawsuit is frivolous! I hope the lawyers take it all, the faculty involved should have been fired. This is one more reason kids laugh at authority, they know there is none. I wonder how many ineffective methods of punishment were tried before losing it, I wonder if the blacks were disciplined for taunting the mexicans while they ate on the floor?

Good teachers are like gold! Rare and very valuable.

Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...

odds are the private schools where you live are not in a high per capita household area because Vegas is the same way. the high income households here are less than the median household incomes in a lot of places. but in the north east where I grew up where the old money and blue bloods reside drugs are a plenty in public schools and saturated in the private schools where the filthy rich kids go. places like Villanova and Gladwyne the median household incomes are like $600K.

IML Gear Cream!
I heard Jersey is the savage lands of America.

will be even harder in the future with the current attack on US teachers by the radical right. US teachers are already underpaid compared to their foreign counterparts. with the current dumbing down of US citizenry as a whole the ability for the US to compete in a global economy gets worst and worst as we move away from all the best practices observed in the OECD and recommended by the PISA.

Whatever, bro. It's the Federal Government's Dept. of Education that has to go. They're a useless, money-sucking department that has no concern for the education of the nation's students. Abolish the department of education and leave education up to the individual states where policies and cirriculum can be implemented more appropriately and efficiently.

Whatever, bro. It's the Federal Government's Dept. of Education that has to go. They're a useless, money-sucking department that has no concern for the education of the nation's students. Abolish the department of education and leave education up to the individual states where policies and cirriculum can be implemented more appropriately and efficiently.

I dont trust the Federal gov invovlement in education, everything they do is bias one way or another, its too bad this ^^^will never happen

I dont trust the Federal gov invovlement in education, everything they do is bias one way or another, its too bad this ^^^will never happen

Enough of that! We'll just leave the policy talk to LAM. :coffee:

One kid spills water, 15 were punished, 7 sued, all with racial high tension at the core, there is more to this story. that sounds like BS

The lawsuit is frivolous! I hope the lawyers take it all, the faculty involved should have been fired. This is one more reason kids laugh at authority, they know there is none. I wonder how many ineffective methods of punishment were tried before losing it, I wonder if the blacks were disciplined for taunting the mexicans while they ate on the floor?

A law suit that goes through the system and is won, is by definition not frivolous.

A law suit that goes through the system and is won, is by definition not frivolous.

the lawsuit is frivolous and the settlement is absurd, I hope the lawyers take it all via billable hours and incidental expenses after they take their 40%. It sends a ridiculous message, one this generation exclusively needs less of.

How is the lawsuit frivolous? Do you know all the facts in the case? Were you present during the hearings?

Here?s the deal in a nutshell:
Taxpayers have to fork over cash because of the incompetence of an administrator who saw fit to punish a bunch of 5th graders who spilled water onto the floor of a school and were subsequently made to eat their lunch on the floor.
The kids come away with a settlement of half a million while the school board reassigned the administrator instead of firing her.
Do you think the administrator in this case should have been fired instead of reassigned?
And how does this make you feel about additional monies being sent to the 31 school districts known as Abbott?s, in the wake of seemingly incompetent administrators being reassigned instead of being fired.
The report states that:
The (Camden) school board has agreed to pay $500,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by seven Hispanic students, who were made to eat lunch on the floor as punishment for spilling a jug of water.
The board had previously settled with the students? teacher, Jose Rivera, who was fired after reporting the incident to the board of education.
Rivera, who holds a teaching job in another district, was awarded $75,000.
The administrator who imposed the punishment, Theresa Brown, was reassigned to another school.
Brown, now a vice principal at Camden High School, could not be reached for comment.
Members of the Hispanic community, including several then-members of the school board and city council, had called for Brown?s firing.
According to the suit, the punishment occurred after a student in Rivera?s bilingual class ? overseen that day by a substitute teacher ? tried to change a jug of water in a water cooler and caused a spill.
Brown then allegedly punished the class of about 15 Puerto Rican students by making them eat on the cafeteria floor, while other classes were seated at tables.
Brown also threatened the students with additional punishment if they told anyone about the punishment, the lawsuit said.
A review by the state Department of Education concluded Brown had forced students to eat on the floor as punishment for five consecutive days, but it said that was not a racist act.
The DOE rejected Brown?s assertion that her decision reflected a lack of available seats and trays.
The report said the students? punishment was a ?recurring practice? at Sumner due to the ?failures of the school administration and lunch room supervision.?
So, again to review, in the wake of the DOE report that stated Brown?s assertion of a lack of seating in the cafeteria was boggy, she gets ?reassigned? instead of fired?
And the district winds up paying.
Again, YOUR tax dollars at work!
All faculty involved should have been fired, the kids records expunged. End of story.

Taxpayers have to fork over cash because of the incompetence of an administrator who saw fit to punish a bunch of 5th graders who spilled water onto the floor of a school and were subsequently made to eat their lunch on the floor.
The kids come away with a settlement of half a million while the school board reassigned the administrator instead of firing her.
Do you think the administrator in this case should have been fired instead of reassigned?
And how does this make you feel about additional monies being sent to the 31 school districts known as Abbott?s, in the wake of seemingly incompetent administrators being reassigned instead of being fired.
The report states that:
The (Camden) school board has agreed to pay $500,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by seven Hispanic students, who were made to eat lunch on the floor as punishment for spilling a jug of water.
The board had previously settled with the students? teacher, Jose Rivera, who was fired after reporting the incident to the board of education.
The administrator who imposed the punishment, Theresa Brown, was reassigned to another school.
Brown, now a vice principal at Camden High School, could not be reached for comment.
Members of the Hispanic community, including several then-members of the school board and city council, had called for Brown?s firing.
According to the suit, the punishment occurred after a student in Rivera?s bilingual class ? overseen that day by a substitute teacher ? tried to change a jug of water in a water cooler and caused a spill.
Brown then allegedly punished the class of about 15 Puerto Rican students by making them eat on the cafeteria floor, while other classes were seated at tables.
Brown also threatened the students with additional punishment if they told anyone about the punishment, the lawsuit said.
A review by the state Department of Education concluded Brown had forced students to eat on the floor as punishment for five consecutive days, but it said that was not a racist act.
The DOE rejected Brown?s assertion that her decision reflected a lack of available seats and trays.
The report said the students? punishment was a ?recurring practice? at Sumner due to the ?failures of the school administration and lunch room supervision.?
So, again to review, in the wake of the DOE report that stated Brown?s assertion of a lack of seating in the cafeteria was boggy, she gets ?reassigned? instead of fired?
All faculty involved should have been fired, the kids records expunged. End of story.

I completely agree with the last part.

The report states that:

It isn't that simple. What if you were poor and your kids were minority white kids at a predominantly black school, and a black principle made your kid eat on the floor because one person spilled water. What if all these happened while black and hispanic students laughed at your kid? I would hope you would be called to action, and sadly lawsuits seem to be the only way to fight these kinds of things. I am betting that nothing would have been done at all had it not been for the lawsuit.

I say this is a situation where legal action worked. I think it sent a message. Not loud enough apparently, because the principle should have been fired, and has no place in education.

IML Gear Cream!
the lawsuit is frivolous and the settlement is absurd, I hope the lawyers take it all via billable hours and incidental expenses after they take their 40%. It sends a ridiculous message, one this generation exclusively needs less of.

Hey, a**hole, do you not understand English? A frivolous lawsuit is a lawsuit that is filed despite the fact that it has no legal merit. Now, if the lawsuit goes through the court system and is won, it can not be frivolous since it has been "deemed" to have merit, so much so THAT IT WAS F*****G WON. Can you understand that or are you completely frivolous when it comes to facts and understanding your f*****g language.

here are some words you should look up the definition of

Frivolous
fair
sensible
dumbfuckwhothinksheknowsmorethanhedoes

negged for gross ignorance of one's own language...

wow, the system actually thanked me for "deducting points" from him, how hated is he??

Back