• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

behind back barbell shrugs

JAja04

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Has anyone had any success with these? Seems like my upper traps lack thickness.. and deads and rack pulls just don't seem to get this area for me. Appears to me needs targeting work. Was considering this isolation exercise.. wanted some thoughts from the board.. I'm pretty sure i can execute the movement.. just not sure about how much weight to go about using... any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

As with any lift, start with a lower weight that you know you can lift, then continue to add. Eventually you'll figure out something close to a 1RM and from there you'll be able to choose the weight based on that.

Has anyone had any success with these? Seems like my upper traps lack thickness.. and deads and rack pulls just don't seem to get this area for me. Appears to me needs targeting work. Was considering this isolation exercise.. wanted some thoughts from the board.. I'm pretty sure i can execute the movement.. just not sure about how much weight to go about using... any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

i think they hit another part of the traps, but i try not to hit them from the back because my traps from the back gett alot of work from my back workouts

Personally, I like to use DB's for trap work. DB's against glutes with palms facing out, chin down and squeeze like crazy at the top.

Meh, shrugs. Try cleans and rack pulls.

I do rack pulls with about 600lbs. I used to do shrugs with like 400 or so but I think heavy deads and racks are the best now. Good form heavy back work is the best I think. What are your stats, how much are you eating and how much are you working out with? I think traps are like calves. ALMOST as hard to get to grow without doing some almost full body heavy work. I see guys doing shrugs with two 100's and they look the same over two years. I'm like why? You've got to give them a reason to grow and the extra calories to do so...

I used to shrug alot, and it was the exercise I could use most weight on and I found that behind the back put alot of strain on my lower back, maybe due to my posture or w/e but I stopped doing them.

Nowadays I don't even directly work the traps, I just do deads and they're sore for a couple days and like Merkaba said, my progress away from shrugs has been monstrous. My traps just exploded when I stopped direct work. Same for arms tbh

I always did behind the back shrugs and loved them over front barbell shrugs.

Now, whats really fucking odd...

I have deadlifting for YEARS and within the last year, it is now that my traps get sore. My "switch ups" have always been consistent. Why now?

Thanks
Jay

Much has to do with your age. It seems the older we get, the less ROM our shoulder region maintains and so it could be far more uncomfortable than performing them to the front. Also, if you have well developed glutes, your ass often interfers with the lift.

Fronts are better, anatomicaly.

I weight 238lbs 5'11". I eat about 6k calories a day. Deadlifts just don't seem to do it for my upper traps. Seems they require direct work. I once grew big traps and did no direct work.. but that was when i was a beginner. My upper traps are my most genetically gifted muscle.. but i'm currently underdeveloped in this area. I've been doing mid-thigh rack pulls. In feb i was doing 405lbs.. Now i'm up to 500lbs.. Goal is 600lbs. I do barbell shrugs with 320lbs. more of a higher rep approach (15reps)

Back