• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Belligerent Bovine Badass

CowPimp

Fueled by Testosterone
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Man, I haven't posted a journal entry in ages, but I was thinking I should start another one, partly as a way of getting me a little more active in this IM community once again. So what's with the journal name? I dunno, I just liked the alliteration.

So here's my story:

Just over 2 months ago I had knee surgery on my right side for a torn medial meniscus. I had a repair surgery as opposed to a meniscotomy. It's a tougher recovery, but it is better in the long run because you get to keep the whole thing in tact. Basically, it was sutured back together as opposed to a simple removal of the damaged piece.

I was on crutches for 6 weeks and unable to drive. As well, I had to almost constantly elevate my foot for about the first month or it would well pretty badly. I did nothing but sit on my ass for about a month, save for my PT sessions. The last week or two I started doing pushups, pullups, and other bodyweight stuff in my room a little bit. Needless to say, I got a little smaller, weaker, and softer.

I was so happy to get back to the gym, but the point of my story is that my goals are perhaps a bit different in some ways than in the past. A few things I want to do:

• Get my upper body strength back to where it was by the end of the year, and preferably higher than that.
  • Get my lower body strength back to where it was by the end of this coming winter (Hopefully the size of my right quad/leg too; fucking atrophy).
  • Worry less about body fat right now, and more about regaining lost muscle, consuming enough calories for needed tissue recovery, and that means not worrying about carbohydrate or overall consumption too much. I still eat pretty damned clean though.
  • Get better sleep. I stopped training in the mornings, because with school starting (Today) I couldn't bare to return to going to work, going to class, and then going back to work and having no life yet again. I now have no excuse not to get at least 7 hours a sleep most nights of the week.
  • After this 3 week block of training, I will start deloading every 4th week. I excused myself for these first couple of months as I started ramping things back up and getting back into it. I figured the several weeks of complete inactivity was more than enough time to be rejuvenated for this return.

So what have I been doing? I recently started using Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 program. Very basic, uses a similar setup to something I was contemplating anyway, and a pretty low volume overall. I am doing that for my two upper body workouts, but the lower body workouts are modified a bit for now because I am not quite ready for heavy squatting and deadlifting on my right knee. I am taking my time ramping that weight up.

Here was today's workout:

Bench Press
95x5
135x5
165x5
190x5
215x10

Seated Row
#16x2x10
#15x2x10
#14x10

DB Incline Press
75sx10
70sx10
65sx2x10

NG Face Pulls
#9x12
#10x12
#11x12

Overall these workouts have been great so far. I never feel run down by the end, but feel like I get enough stimulation. Honestly, my estimated 1RM on my bench press right now is pretty close to my best PR, so that's a plus.

To give you an idea of my diet, here's what I will have eaten by the end of today (I didn't include quantities, but I do measure stuff to some extent to keep things fairly consistent):

Meal1
omlette (eggs, spinach, mushrooms, cheese)
skim milk
apple
fish oil caps

Meal2
chili (ground beef, diced tomatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, kidney/black beans, chili powder, cinnamon)

Meal3
pwo shake (waxy maize, dextrose, whey, bcaas, creatine, beta alanine)

Meal4
stir fry (chicken breast, brown rice, mixed veggies)

Meal5
oatmeal, strawberries, wild blueberries, whey

Meal6
cottage cheese, peanut butter, ground flax, veggie powder, whey, psyllium husk
fish oil caps

Possibly a protein bar in there somewhere if I get hungry at work later...

Looks good CP, glad to see you're back... That sucks about the knee. How'd you injure it?

I'll be interested in seeing how the 5-3-1 program works. I've heard about it but haven't really read into it much at all yet.

Nice to see you back round these parts, man :)

Glad the knee is recovering, too! The 5-3-1 program is something i've been interested in trying lately as well so i'll be keeping an eye on this journal. Looks like a cool set-up.

So what's with the journal name? I dunno, I just liked the alliteration.

People who have alliterative journal titles are really cool! :cool:

I'm sure you know about muscle memory - it's a wonderful thing. You'll have no trouble bouncing back. :thumbs:

Best of luck with the new journal! I will be following along :thumb:

Thanks for the support all.

About the injury, I started taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes. It would occasionally pop, but without pain, in the class. Best I can describe it felt like it dislocated and went back into place. Then one day it popped outside of class standing up from a deep squat position (Not lifting weights, just bodyweight) and it popped. This time it hurt though. Then I couldn't straighten my knee out all the way and it swole up pretty bad a couple hours later so I knew something was seriously wrong.

I am allowed to return to the BJJ in December. I probably will finish up my year and stop because it's too expensive, though I enjoy it a lot.

A, hi pimp. 215x10 after long lay off...nice.
Your meals sound yum good, minus the cottage cheese.

I was on crutches for 6 weeks and unable to drive. As well, I had to almost constantly elevate my foot for about the first month or it would well pretty badly. I did nothing but sit on my ass for about a month, save for my PT sessions. The last week or two I started doing pushups, pullups, and other bodyweight stuff in my room a little bit. Needless to say, I got a little smaller, weaker, and softer.

:paddle: Then why havent you been more dedicated to Ironmagazineforums.com?

IML Gear Cream!
Cardio

Thanks all. Yeah, you have a point Akira. That was a good time to return more. Don't really know why I didn't. I guess I felt like sitting their crippled and getting fat while telling other people how to exercise was weird. Honestly too, I was a bit depressed for much of it. Such a kick in the lifestyle ya know?

So I have this swimming class that started today. However, it being the first day, and the fact that there isn't water in the pool yet, made it so I had to go do my own thing for a little cardiovascular exercise.

Rowing
15 minutes

Incline Treadmill Walking
20 minutes - 15% @ 3mph

Diet today will have looked like this by the end:

Meal1
omlette (eggs, spinach, mushrooms, cheese)
skim milk
kiwi

Meal2
turkey burger
sweet potato
steamed broccoli

Meal3
pwo shake (waxy maize, dextrose, whey, bcaas, creatine, beta alanine)

Meal4
salmon burger
mixed grains (maftoul, quinoa, lentils, something else?)
steamed asparagus

Meal5
oats, strawberries, wild blueberries, whey

Meal6
protein bar

Meal7
yogurt, peanut butter, strawberries, wild blueberries, ground flex, veggie powder, psyllium husk, whey

Deadlifts

A - Deadlift
135x5
185x5
225x3
255x3x12

B1 - 1 Leg RDL
50sx5x10

B2 - Hanging Knee Raise
BWx12,12,12,11

C - Body Rows
Feet Elevatedx14,14,12

First time doing DLs off the floor since surgery. I had been working my way down on rack DLs. Felt fine really. It was also more weight than I used last time on rack pulls. God I feel so weak on this. Can't remember the last time I did a deadlift with under about 385 pre-surgery. Oh well, I have to be happy with improvement. I'd love to be back at 100% like 2 months ago, but that's not realistic, heh.

I had been doing pullthroughs before but replaced those with 1 leg RDLs because I wanted more unilateral work, and because I have outgrown the stack I was using before. I tried using the seated row (I'm now working out at the UMD gym instead of the one at work) but let's just say it was so jerryrigged that I had no place to put my feet by the end.

Welcome back CP! Your contributions to this site were sorely missed.

255x3x12 sounds a bit too ambitious to me... for now

Sorry to hear about your knee, but glad your on the mend!!! Nice lookin workouts, hope ya don't mind me stoppin by!!!

Cardio

Well Jersey, I'm going kind of based on pain. My squats are significantly lighter seeing as there is greater torque placed on the knee joint. Deadlifts don't seem to be bothering it in the least. I figure as aggressive as I can be while still seeing improvements in the status of my knee is a good thing, and it is well within the restrictions my doctor set for me. Hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself, but we shall see.

Also, anyone is welcome at anytime Archangel.

Thanks for your comments and support gentlemen.

Rowing
15 minutes

Incline Treadmill Walking
20 minutes - 15% @ 3mph

Same thing as Tuesday, nothing special here. I accomplished a little more work on the rows, but I'm not even that concerned with major improvements there anyway.

Mr CowPimp!!!
I have a idea for my next workout routine in my journal, can you look and tell me if I'm thinking correctly please??? I would appreciate it!!!

I'll take a look. Sure thing guy.

Friday I did the following:

A - Military Press
65x5
100x5
115x5
130x10

B1 - NG Chinups
BWx3x10, 2x8

B2 - Dips
+60x2x10
+50x2x10

C - Cable External Rotations
30x2x12, 8

Then today I did:

A - Box Squat
75x8
115x5
155x3x12

B1 - DB Reverse Lunge
25sx5x10

B2 - Palloff Press
#6.5x4x10

C - Rollouts
BWx3x15

Woopity dee!

Good lookin workouts!!! Very nice Dips imo!!!

Thanks. Not quite back to where they were, but pretty close.

Yesterday I did the following:

A - Bench Press
95x5
135x5
175x3
200x3
230x7

B1 - Seated Row
#16x3x10
#15x2x10

B2 - DB Incline Press
75sx2x10
70sx2x10

C - NG Face Pull
#9x3x12

Everything felt pretty good. Eating was good yesterday too. Overall eating has been great except Sunday I went to a cookout and ate some bad, but oh so tastey stuff like pizza. Didn't drink though.

Still on campus before I goto work. Just wanted to post that I did some more cardio today. Same deal as last time until next week when we get water in the pool and my swimming class begins. Did 15 minutes of some rowing and another 20 walking up an inclined treadmill.

IML Gear Cream!
Most boring journal ever, haha. Here's the workout I just finished a little bit ago:

A - Deadlift
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3x12

B1 - Single Leg RDL
105x5x10

B2 - Hanging Knee Raise
BWx4x12

C - Body Row
Feet Elevatedx3x14

weights are going up...lookin good bro!

Did you keep up with upper strength stuff when you were recovering from surgery?

Good lookin workouts CP, I like your structure!!! Thankis for the input!!!

Damn, single leg RDLs are heavy! Good work.

*off topic*

I think you should go back to "Bartering Bovine Booty". That was funny as hell.

Thanks all.

To Malley, not really no. For the first few weeks I couldn't be upright for more than about 30-60 minutes without my foot swelling up ridiculously. Furthermore, I wasn't allowed to drive for the first 6 weeks afterward. In case I needed to slam on the breaks, the surgeon was worried about the potential to pop the suture on my meniscus. In the last couple weeks or so I did pushups and pullups in my room along with my PT exercises, but that's about it.

To JD, yeah I was pretty proud of that one myself. Hehe.

Took off yesterday. Going to do some cardio on Saturday instead. I want to try some sled dragging and other random stuff for conditioning work. About to go hit the gym in a few minutes. Cheers.

On Friday:
A - Military Press
55x5
85x5
105x3
125x3
140x9

B1 - NG Chinups
BWx5x10

B2 - Dips
+60x4x10

C - Cable ERs
#3x2x12,10

On Sunday:
A - Box Squat
65x5
95x5
125x3
145x3
165x20

B1 - DB Reverse Lunge
30sx5x10

B2 - Pallof Press
#7x4x10

C - Rollouts
BWx3x16

Today:
A - Bench Press
95x5
135x5
190x5
215x3
240x5

B1 - Seated Row
#16x5x10

B2 - DB Incline Press
75sx3x10
70sx10

C - NG Face Pull
#11x12
#12x2x12

looks good bro...doesnt take you long LOL

Lookin solid, progression looks constant, thats always a good thing!!!

Back