• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Building a homemade Prowler sled

Marat

5/3/1
Board Rep
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'd like to own a Prowler 2. Here is some additional information on it from Dave Tate: The Prowler. However, I don't particularly want to spend $500 on one. I feel like one can be built for a lesser cost.

I did a little bit of searching around the internet and I found some ideas in this thread.

Here's also a picture from another person that made one:
attachment.php

Anyone have any ideas or fabrication tips?

That looks like 50.00 worth of parts, nothing more. I dont know what is on the bottom so the price could fluctuate some. She be an easy build if you can work a chop saw, or have a friend that can work one.

Draw a diagram out and take the dimensions to home depot/lowes and they can even cut the pieces for you and you just assemble when you get home.
Most important part should be recessing the bolt heads on the bottom so it will slide

Looks pretty basic

4x4s for the sled rails

2x 6's for the support.

1" thick plywood for the box

and some plumbing supplies for the Rails.

Everything at Home Depot.

not to sound like a newb, but what is the purpose of the sled? What workouts can be done with it, and how is it beneficial. Take it easy on me:)

not to sound like a newb, but what is the purpose of the sled? What workouts can be done with it, and how is it beneficial. Take it easy on me:)

Asking questions is a good thing.

It's fantastic for GPP (general physical preparation) and cardio/metabolic work.

Here's Joe DeFranco talking about it for a minute:
YouTube Video

Check out some of the other videos on YouTube about it.

Here's also a short writeup from Dave Tate:
The Prowler

Looks pretty basic

4x4s for the sled rails

2x 6's for the support.

1" thick plywood for the box

and some plumbing supplies for the Rails.

Everything at Home Depot.

Good stuff, thank you. I was thinking about what to put on the bottom of the sled rails. I'm assuming that the wood would scrape off on its own, and metal plates would probably be too loud against pavement. Perhaps some sort of plastic like material?

Metal won't be that noisy. The wood would deaden the sound from it.

U could just leave it as wood, would provide more resistance. Either way I figure just a 4 x 4 would be easier to replace and keep then figuring out how to attach the steel plate. and replacing of it.

Oh and everything will have to be bolted together... no screws. And I would use nylock nuts.

This one looks better and a bit cheaper...

sled005.jpg

Plus it has those high density plastic slides on the base so you could use it on cement....looks like he cut 2 cutting boards and stacked them to get thickness

Last edited:
Why do i have a feeling my neighbors wouldnt like me pushing this down the street.

I think im going to build one anyways.

Started fabrication of the econo prowler today, I'll put up pictures when it's completed

Definitely. Please do a review of how well it works too, I'd love to have my own Prowler (but don't want to drop 500$ on it).

Definitely. Please do a review of how well it works too, I'd love to have my own Prowler (but don't want to drop 500$ on it).

Sure thing. It probably won't be pretty and my fabricating skills leave something to be desired, but it'll probably cost a total of about $100.

IML Gear Cream!
I've got this wheelbarrow with a flat tire that I've been filling with sod as I expand my perennials. The compost pile is a good 150 yards away. I was going to pump up the tire but that would be to easy. Plus, it's like a free $500. Maybe $700 because of the upper body work.

SWEET!

Anyone use a cutting board or something similar on the wood runners to help from chopping up the wood? I found a source on-line for 1 inch thick cutting boards called the Cutting Board Factory (I'm a new forum member and the system would not let me post a link). Look around their site for the workhorse series.

Trex Decking for the runners?

Great ideas all... I'm thinking that some composite decking scraps (Trex) would be a better option than cutting boards. I'm looking forward to making one of these bad boys... Thanks!

When we had horses, I used to push the Round Bales (of Hay) around. This is inexpensive, and as time goes on the bales get rained on, thereby becoming heavier, so you're always increasing your load.

I've got this wheelbarrow with a flat tire that I've been filling with sod as I expand my perennials. The compost pile is a good 150 yards away. I was going to pump up the tire but that would be to easy. Plus, it's like a free $500. Maybe $700 because of the upper body work.

SWEET!
Actually that sounds like a much smarter method of building one of these, put wheels on it and adjust resistive loads by decreasing tire pressure, plus you don't have to worry about tear up the yard or leaving white streaks of plastic on the street.....

You put lateral strains on those bolts they're going to bend and maybe snap if of inferior quality....

You put lateral strains on those bolts they're going to bend and maybe snap if of inferior quality....

Noticed that as well. Maybe they are forged steel?

Noticed that as well. Maybe they are forged steel?
Cold-forged most likely, as most bolts are. It's just not good design practice to leave the fastening parts open like that, he's going to put a lot of strain on the bolt and the wood.

It's holding up for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it falls apart at any moment.

No manufacturing experience for me --- I just slapped it together.

Back