• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Feet up or down the bench?

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
For bench presses, sometimes I see or read in books people doing them with feet up on the bench, and on other times I notice advises against this (feet must be firm on the floor). What is the advantage or disadvantage of putting the feet up vs feet down? When should I use one form or the other?

- Josh

always put your feet flat on the ground if you put them on the bench u run the risk of losing your balance and falling on your ass and maybe injury

I've always kept them down...can't see any reason to raise them.

I used to put mine on the bench, but its easier to follow proper bench form with your feet on the ground, and you will see that this is how record benchers do it as well.

Also powerlifter can arch their backs better for completing bigger lifts

Yes, arch the back, pull shoulder blades in, keep neck on the bench (keep arms "straight" and place bar just below nipples). Took me about a week to get this form down, put about 20 pounds on my bench (I forget already), also took massive loads off my shoulders, I can bench heavy with NO PROBLEMS now.

IML Gear Cream!
Took me about a week to get this form down, put about 20 pounds on my bench

No, following proper bench guidlines, I do NOT put my feet on the bench any longer. Its easier to hold that position with feet on the ground.

I've used both methods and noticed no real difference, however, theoretically (sp?), there is that possibility that you could use your feet to push from the ground when on the floor, where as its all upper body when not on the floor.

Push what with your feet?

If you use your feet to push from the ground, you could get an extra cheat push off to create momentum to push the weight up. Not exactly a clean way to bench, but if you're using proper form, this won't come into play.

You'll find a lot of guys cheating with serious arching in their backs too..

Keeping your feet up forces your back to keep flat on the bench, but some people like to get that little arch going.

It changes the whole angle of the lifting.. but to be honest, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Corri, some arching of the back is proper form, I know when I didn't sometimes my back ended up hurting. If you read on proper bench form that is one of the items listed, I did type up the quick notes somewhere above.

I don't really see pushing with my legs up other than making myself into a decline bench, basically I don't move at all other than my arms while on the bench though.

A flat back is exactly what causes my spine problems, only when I bench heavy but surfing the powerlifter sites thats not proper bench form, when I learned the right way to do it, no more back or shoulder problems.

I've done both and prefer to have my feet on the floor, when I had my feet up on the bench my back would cramp up because i was struggling to keep balanced and push alot of wieght up, nothing like a back ripping cramp while benching.

Back