• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

First U.S. marijuana cafe opens for business in Portland

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
First U.S. marijuana cafe opens for business in Portland

Cancel your flight to Amsterdam ??? the U.S. just got its first marijuana cafe on Friday. Located in Portland, Ore., the Cannabis Cafe shows how attitudes have changed since the Obama administration moved into the White House. A month ago, President Barack Obama told federal attorneys to ease off medical marijuana prosecutions.

The widening use of medicinal marijuana has forced governments into a tenuous legal balancing act, according to a Reuters report. Some states passed legislation to allow it, starting with California in 1996. Nonetheless, a federal ban remains in place. The operation of businesses like the Cannabis Cafe, as well as marijuana establishments in California, has been possible as long as federal authorities have chosen not to pursue them. Unlike the shops in California, though, the Portland establishment is the first in the U.S. where certified medical marijuana users can both acquire and consume their marijuana, as long as they stay out of public view.

Madeline Martinez, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws in Oregon, says that the Cannabis Club "represents personal freedom, finally, for our members." NORML supports legislation to legalize marijuana.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," Martinez continues. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

The Food is For Sale, but the Pot is Free
The Cannabis Cafe's new home is a two-story building with an interesting past. Once upon a time, it was occupied by a speakeasy, and later, an adult entertainment club called Rumpspankers. The Cannabis Cafe is a private club, but any Oregon resident who is a member of NORML and has an official medical marijuana card can gain entry.

Members pay $25 a month for use of the cafe, which has a capacity of 100. The product offered is not sold. Rather, it's provided free over the counter from the "budtenders" employed by the establishment. Food, of course, is available for purchase, but the club doesn't have a liquor license. (Why bother?)

The potential market for the Cannabis Cafe is small, but likely committed. Approximately 21,000 patients are registered to use medical marijuana in Oregon, with doctors prescribing the drug for a wide range of illnesses, among them Alzheimer's, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and Tourette's syndrome.
Eric Solomon, the proprietor, says he still just runs a coffee shop and events venue, as he did before he converted it to the current format, but he says, "now it will be cannabis-themed." Film festivals and dances are expected for the second floor ballroom, not to mentioned marijuana-themed weddings.
Neighboring businesses have mixed feelings about the new cafe, but they are hopeful that it will benefit them, too. David Bell, who works at a nearby boutique, is "withholding judgment." He notes, "There's no precedent for it. We don't know what to expect. But it would great if it brought some customers into our store."

I don't smoke Ganja.

It's not for me.

But this is a good thing.

It will save lives.

From gang warfare to medicinal.

Good.

Why should the gov tell us what we can buy and not buy when it comes to non-killing stuff.

?

Alzheimers?

Next on the ballots:
Driving while under the influence of marijuana.

I dont think this was thought out too well in the first place.

Woohooo! I'm fucking moving to portland!

Good for Portland...I hope the business model thrives

I thought you had to have an illness to be prescribed marijuana? I keep seeing these articles about marijuana being legal but its medical marijuana. That doesn't help the typical pothead. Unless you can get prescribed it for lets say not sleeping.

I thought you had to have an illness to be prescribed marijuana? I keep seeing these articles about marijuana being legal but its medical marijuana. That doesn't help the typical pothead. Unless you can get prescribed it for lets say not sleeping.

You can

It seems to come down to medical condition that is fucking you over that justifies you getting fucking up.

What if you just want to get fucked up?? Does the fact that you want to get fucked up qualify as a medical condition? :geewhiz:

I think it does. :thumb:

Not for me, BTW. I'm to fucked to risk getting fucked up.

IML Gear Cream!
Next on the ballots:

you are no safer driving on the roads with 80-90 years old who care barely see 12 inches in front of them, driving stoned is nothing compared to being under the influence of alcohol.

you are no safer driving on the roads with 80-90 years old who care barely see 12 inches in front of them, driving stoned is nothing compared to being under the influence of alcohol.

I'll carry it a step farther and say myself and plenty of other people I know drive more safely stones than sober.

But then again, I do nearly everything better stoned. The stuff would be my wonder drug if it juts didn't interfere with many of my other cognitive abilities.

Next on the ballots:

Common sense.

It's illegal already to drive while on pot.

Same as prescription medicine, whether prescribed or not, if it impairs one's ability to drive.

It's "Driving Under the Influence."

I'll carry it a step farther and say myself and plenty of other people I know drive more safely stones than sober.

But then again, I do nearly everything better stoned. The stuff would be my wonder drug if it juts didn't interfere with many of my other cognitive abilities.

I am sure there are a lot of people who drink feel the same way.

I am sure there are a lot of people who drink feel the same way.

And it is probably true for many. The problem is a few people can't handle their substances, and it fucks it up for everyone else.

I have a number of friends that all say they feel safer with me driving drunk than most other people sober. I am hyper active most of the time, and drugs help to slow me down to normal speed.

But, you don't ever hear that shit on the radio or the TV. Fuck no, its nothing but why shit is bad. There is no other topic in this country as one sided and bias than the attitude towards drugs and alcohol.

I think its "safer" to drive stoned than it is drunk, however to say that anyone can drive better stoned or drunk is absolutely ridiculous.

thats exactly what I was trying to get at, there are so many right wing myths built around weed as being this drug of the devil that should be abolished, but there are far more worse everyday things that can kill us and screw things up. Thats basically what this comes down to, I consider myself pretty conservative with most things, but this evil created around marijuana is just plain stupidity, and the politics behind it should be put to sleep already. This is one area that I am quite liberal about, let the people choose, not the government.

thats exactly what I was trying to get at, there are so many right wing myths built around weed as being this drug of the devil that should be abolished, but there are far more worse everyday things that can kill us and screw things up. Thats basically what this comes down to, I consider myself pretty conservative with most things, but this evil created around marijuana is just plain stupidity, and the politics behind it should be put to sleep already. This is one area that I am quite liberal about, let the people choose, not the government.

I agree, but your post has nothing to do with what I was saying to Kelju. He said he can drive better drunk or stoned than sober.

I think its "safer" to drive stoned than it is drunk, however to say that anyone can drive better stoned or drunk is absolutely ridiculous.

How do you know? What evidence is there? What scientific studies have there ever been on hand-eye coordination and reaction time in a car while on marijuana? You can't find it. There is none. It doesn't exist!

Now, I myself, and many of my pothead friends relay on pot for sports requiring hand-eye coordination. Pot takes 10 strokes off my golf game. It helps me shoot a basketball. It helps me lift weights with better motor control. It helps me sprint when I would have foot races with my friends.

I've been saying this shit for years, and nobody will try it. They will call bullshit without ever giving it a shot. It really irks me.

Its just like when people say stupid shit to you about steroids when they have both neither researched nor tried steroids themselves. Its the exact same bias attitude, only a different substance. You know better because you have been there and done the work. You have researched it and lived among others who have, also. You know the real truth.

Well, its the exact same thing for me when it comes to drugs like pot. I can smoke a joint and I am less impatient, less aggressive, more alert, and more relaxed. I stick in my lane and just follow the road to my destination instead of acting like the other sober people racing home like they will win a prize for getting there 2 minutes faster.

And, for fairness I will say that the biggest reason I consider my driving performance to be better on substances has more to do with my improved mental state and less to do with a changed in cognitive abilities.

And I will throw you a bone for your side of the argument and say that this is only true for me and a handful of friends, because I can't say one way or the other what a substance will do to someone else unless I have observed them.

I know people that can't even remember their name after one hit of weed, although I believe that has more to do with self fulfilling prophecy than an actual change in brain chemistry.

IML Gear Cream!
And, for fairness I will say that the biggest reason I consider my driving performance to be better on substances has more to do with my improved mental state and less to do with a changed in cognitive abilities.

And I will throw you a bone for your side of the argument and say that this is only true for me and a handful of friends, because I can't say one way or the other what a substance will do to someone else unless I have observed them.

I know people that can't even remember their name after one hit of weed, although I believe that has more to do with self fulfilling prophecy than an actual change in brain chemistry.

Must have been something other than weed they were smoking. I don't think you could placebo yourself into forgetting your name.

How do you know? What evidence is there? What scientific studies have there ever been on hand-eye coordination and reaction time in a car while on marijuana? You can't find it. There is none. It doesn't exist!

I don't need a scientific study, I have been drunk and stoned and I know how it effects not only coordination but reaction time.

What if the reason you do things better stoned is that you just don't give a shit while stoned?

I don't smoke, but I definitely know that in almost everything I do I'm better when I'm not actively trying for perfection and just "going with it".

I don't need a scientific study, I have been drunk and stoned and I know how it effects not only coordination but reaction time.

That sounds just like some head strong guy saying that cycle support isn't needed because he did a cycle of deca without cycle support and PST, and it didn't hurt him. He doesn't need research, because he knows how it affects his body.

You are making a claim of how my body reacts to a chemical based on your experience with it, plus I am 99% certain that my experience with pot and nearly any other drug is far more than anyone here other than maybe Manic. The only reason he might have me beat is the age difference.

Here's the problem.... You can't keep both hand's on the wheel when one hand is holding the bong & the carb hole while the other hand is holding your Bic. Sure you can use a pipe and steer with your elbow(who hasn't done that) but certainly it's much easier to drink a beer and drive since you only need one hand for that. :wacko:

That sounds just like some head strong guy saying that cycle support isn't needed because he did a cycle of deca without cycle support and PST, and it didn't hurt him. He doesn't need research, because he knows how it affects his body.

You are making a claim of how my body reacts to a chemical based on your experience with it, plus I am 99% certain that my experience with pot and nearly any other drug is far more than anyone here other than maybe Manic. The only reason he might have me beat is the age difference.

Maybe your body is already tolerant to the substance. Man because if I'm high or drunk I really act a fool and my coordination is horrible.

RELATED:

In Boulder, Colorado, it is now possible to buy and smoke weed for religious purposes, 100% legally (for now at least).

The THC Ministry sells pot to pretty much anybody who agrees to use it for spiritual purposes.

The procedure is pretty simple: All you need is $50 in cash, a valid identification and the ‘Cannabis Minister’ will make you an ‘Ordained Cannabis Minister’. After that, you can buy as much marijuana from him as you want, 100% legally.

You may have difficulty getting the same luxury at a medical marijuana dispensary though. In fact, you’re more likely to get laughed at and turned away.

The minister however, says that the whole thing is 100% legal and that if you’re caught with religious marijuana, you can fight it in court. He may, in fact, be right about that. A US Federal court recently ruled that Rastafarians have the right to smoke marijuana for religious purposes. The minister also stated that the THC Ministry is international. Now of course, every country has different laws with regard to what is classified as ‘religious purposes’. So whilst this may be 100% legal (for now) in the United States, all those ‘religious cannabis smokers’ worldwide (including myself) who have just read this and got all giddy with excitement, don’t hold your breath…

LINK: Oh Heavenly Weed « Lonely Stoner

then I would say your tolerance to THC is so high you are an exception. :shrug:

RELATED:

In Boulder, Colorado, it is now possible to buy and smoke weed for religious purposes, 100% legally (for now at least).

The THC Ministry sells pot to pretty much anybody who agrees to use it for spiritual purposes.

The procedure is pretty simple: All you need is $50 in cash, a valid identification and the ???Cannabis Minister??? will make you an ???Ordained Cannabis Minister???. After that, you can buy as much marijuana from him as you want, 100% legally.

You may have difficulty getting the same luxury at a medical marijuana dispensary though. In fact, you???re more likely to get laughed at and turned away.

The minister however, says that the whole thing is 100% legal and that if you???re caught with religious marijuana, you can fight it in court. He may, in fact, be right about that. A US Federal court recently ruled that Rastafarians have the right to smoke marijuana for religious purposes. The minister also stated that the THC Ministry is international. Now of course, every country has different laws with regard to what is classified as ???religious purposes???. So whilst this may be 100% legal (for now) in the United States, all those ???religious cannabis smokers??? worldwide (including myself) who have just read this and got all giddy with excitement, don???t hold your breath???

LINK: Oh Heavenly Weed « Lonely Stoner

Who cares? I don't.

I do not smoke pot.

I say, f*ck religion.

It's about choice

If you want to smoke, then smoke.

Not my business; not your business; not the government's business.

Who cares? I don't.

I do not smoke pot.

I say, f*ck religion.

It's about choice

If you want to smoke, then smoke.

Not my business; not your business; not the government's business.

:clapping:

Back