• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

dropping weight

beginnerbb

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
at the minute i'm doing 6 weeks of 8-12 rep range 4 sets with 2 min rest between sets. Does it matter if i drop weight between sets to make all sets in the 8-12 rep range? ie 1st set i do 20kg for 10 reps at an exercise, next set i do 8 at 20kg, does it matter now if i drop the weight to say 17.5kg to mkake sure the next set falls in the 8-12 rep range?

The reason i want it to fall into this is because after 6 weeks i'll swap to 5-8 rep range, so i want them to be distinctly different and not blur

It's just a reverse pyramid approach. Of course, depending on who you're talking to, it could be considered good or bad. I see no harm in it as long as you change your routine after a while......

Personally, I Pyramid UP to a higher weight range instead of tapering downward as you proposed.
whilst i like the idea of that approach it would be impossible for me to hit the rep range doing that my reps over 4 sets would be 10, 8, 6, 3 or something i imagine, and i want 2 very distinct periods of training one in the 8-12 rep range and one in the 5-8 rep range.

Your body remembers the last rep, of your last set, so train HEAVY, AND HARD with alot of sets, and moderate rep ranges. Depending on the exercise, Hell, I`d rather do a couple of forced reps with a heavier weight, then lighten up the weight.
The longer you do this activity, the more you come to realize how important your mental approach to training is, and needs to be.
Don`t become a prisoner to the numbers of the weights you are training with. Remember the bar doesn`t know whats on it. Also, leave your thinking at "the door", as you enter the gym, training needs to be about heart, guts, and desire!

I don't think there's anything wrong with dropping 5 lbs per set to hit your range, but I also don't see why you can't just keep the weight the same and still hit your ranges.
If you bench 100lbs for 12 after 2 minutes rest you should be able to do the same weight for at least 10 reps. 8 reps the next set and then just take the last to failure. The rep ranges are really just guidelines too, used to determine a challanging weight. If you hit 12 reps on the first set, you should increase your weight the next week when you repeat that exercise anyway. That's the idea behind progressive overload, aways progress from the previous training day.

8 to 12 reps of what?

If your training program is crap is won't matter if you pyramid up or down it'll still be crap.

Post your routine or read the links in my signature for designing a good one.

so i should just stick with the same 5-8 rep range? I have been doing this for weeks but feel like i've hit a plateau? Maybe i should do 6-10 rep range? i have been doing

day 1 push
bench press 3 sets 5-8
weighted push ups 3 sets 5-8
overhead extension 3 sets 5-8
bb military press 3 sets 5-8

day 2 pull
pull ups 3 sets
bb row 3 sets 5-8
bb curl 3 sets 5-8
bb shrugs 3 sets 5-8

day 3 legs
squat 3 sets 5-8
romanian deadlift 3 sets 5-8
lunges 3 sets 5-8
calf raises 3 sets 5-8
weighted sit ups 3 sets 5-8

yeah training for size but i do want stregth gains as well, so any advice on the routine? should i shift the rep range to 6-10?

Routine looks ok. You should try some periodization to get both. Check the link in my sig.

Like GJ suggested check your diet too.

thats what i was doing with swapping the routine for 6 weeks in 5-8 and then 6 weeks in 8-12. It says "If you’re one of the people changing their programs every 8 weeks or so you’re ahead of the curve" so i was going to do this every 6 weeks and do this routine for 6 weeks:

day 1 push
bench press 4 sets 8-12
weighted push ups 4 sets 8-12
overhead extension 4 sets 8-12
bb military press 4 sets 8-12

day 2 pull
pull ups 4 sets
bb row 4 sets 8-12
bb curl 4 sets 8-12
bb shrugs 4 sets 8-12

day 3 legs
squat 4 sets 8-12
romanian deadlift 4 sets 8-12
lunges 4 sets 8-12
calf raises 4 sets 8-12
weighted sit ups 4 sets 8-12

IML Gear Cream!
whilst i like the idea of that approach it would be impossible for me to hit the rep range doing that my reps over 4 sets would be 10, 8, 6, 3 or something i imagine, and i want 2 very distinct periods of training one in the 8-12 rep range and one in the 5-8 rep range.

i know you dont count your warm ups.with saying that,why dont you do your first set at 12,go up in wieght ,then do 1 set at 10,go up in wieght,then do 2 sets at 8,then if you want pyramid up from there. either that or just add a little 1.5-2.5lbs wieght every 1- 2 weeks with the same rep scheme.just a thought.

possible but the theory of periodization is where its several different distinct "phases" and i just figured doing my workout like that is along those lines?

You're in a hypertrophy range of 8 - 12. If that's your goal great. If you're looking for more strength lower the rep range to 5-8.

I think pyramiding up stinks. You're wasting energy and reps on the way up and you're not putting in enough "work" on what is supposed to be your highest intensity sets. I just don't think you maximize muscle fiber recruitment that way.

I'd rather do one to two warmup sets (and expend as little energy as possible) and then do your 3 to 4 WORK SETS at a weight you know you can hit 8-12 across all three sets.

Each week, if you're doing the above work AND you are eating as you should you should be adding weight to the bar little by little. Once you consistently hit the top end of the 8-12 rep range with ALL of those work sets, it's time to add to the bar.

If you keep pyramiding up and down all over the place you really have no clue what you've acheived anyway. It's immeasurable and wasteful.

KY

kyoun1e - yeah thats the way i feel continually jumping around every other week like some periodization schemes suggest is like you said impossible to track and you have no idea what you are achieving. In terms of my workout what do you think to that? We are looking at the second workout 8-12 etc?

I think you should collapse days 1 and 2 into one day and do something like this:

Bench (Push)
Rows (Pull)
Military Press (Push)
Pullups (Pull)
Curls
Maybe throw in one of your other movements or do tris

Then do legs the other day.

You'd do each workout twice per week. Four workouts per week.

There's plenty of volume and work in there to grow.

KY

I usually have an idea of the rep range I'm going for on an exercise but I never set anything in stone so to speak. If you miss your goal by a rep or two I don't think that's a big deal. Don't sacrifice intensity and drop your weight for fear of missing your rep range. If you miss it by one or two, I don't think it matters, and you'll have something to shoot for next time you lift. If you don't push yourself don't expect to grow. By holding back what are you gaining?? Nothing

Back