• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Deadlift - grip question

r00kie

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Started working out after a long gap. Currently deadlifting 2x per week. I pulled 245 lbs for 6 reps in my last workout, but today my grip gave up after just 3 reps for the same weight!

1. am I overtraining my forearms?
2. should I switch to mixed grip? (have been using double overhand grip)
3. or should I use hooks?
4. is there any specific training for grip strength?

Use a mixed grip (staggered grip) and switch it between sets. If the left one is overhand on set 1, then make it underhand on set 2. Still too much? Get Versa Straps. Still too much? Lower the weight idiot.

:spin:

It looks like you need to do some targeted forearm workouts, but not too much beings you dead twice a week.

You might want to consider throwing in Squats & deadlift only once a week?

I always use a left hand underside and right hand over. I never switch and am not worried about gaining more size on one side than the other. I masterbate with the other hand to compensate(the last statement may or may not be true, but the first statement is)

Be patient. Grip strength will come. By the way, there is a great way to develop grip strength. Deadlifting. Once a week sounds like a good suggestion to me too.

Thanks everyone.

Nobody brought this up - but chalk is not allowed in my gym anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Nobody brought this up - but chalk is not allowed in my gym anyway.

I feel you there. I refuse to use gloves, i just carry a towel and make sure i dry my hands and the bar to the max after each use. I have zero issues with grip but I have bear claws.

Use a mixed grip (staggered grip) and switch it between sets. If the left one is overhand on set 1, then make it underhand on set 2. Still too much? Get Versa Straps. Still too much? Lower the weight idiot.

:spin:

So, with alternate grip you should switch between which hand is supinated and pronated? I've been using alternate grip on my deads for a few months now and always have left hand pronated and right supinated. Can this cause problems down the road?

IML Gear Cream!
So, with alternate grip you should switch between which hand is supinated and pronated? I've been using alternate grip on my deads for a few months now and always have left hand pronated and right supinated. Can this cause problems down the road?

I think it is a preference thing and possibly something that has to do with building max strength. I do not like switching. I hold the bar as if i was going to tug-a-rope. This is where my max power is felt. Left hand under hand, right hand over hand.

Be careful when using the mixed grip. You are really loading the anterior muscles/tendons of the humeroulnar joint. Be sure to not flex the elbow or you could be saying hello to a ripped bicep tendon. It's a safe grip, but be aware.

Another problem that P-Funk used to mention all the time is that people tend to rotate their spine towards the hand that is supinated, that can result in some torsion issues in the spine.

As for splitting the work load between arms by switching grips every set, I say go for it. Balance is never something to be avoided.

You could also use a hook grip. You grip over your thumb with your other four fingers. It will be uncomfortable at first and will take some getting used to, but it is highly efficient in holding heavy weights in double overhand fashion.

PM Gazhole about training your grip. Grip training is highly underutilized by many people. You can't lift what you can't hold. It is a fundamental aspect of strength that people like to sweep under the rug.

Be careful when using the mixed grip. You are really loading the anterior muscles/tendons of the humeroulnar joint. Be sure to not flex the elbow or you could be saying hello to a ripped bicep tendon. It's a safe grip, but be aware.

Another problem that P-Funk used to mention all the time is that people tend to rotate their spine towards the hand that is supinated, that can result in some torsion issues in the spine.

As for splitting the work load between arms by switching grips every set, I say go for it. Balance is never something to be avoided.

You could also use a hook grip. You grip over your thumb with your other four fingers. It will be uncomfortable at first and will take some getting used to, but it is highly efficient in holding heavy weights in double overhand fashion.

PM Gazhole about training your grip. Grip training is highly underutilized by many people. You can't lift what you can't hold. It is a fundamental aspect of strength that people like to sweep under the rug.

Which grip do you use then? Ive just recently switched to the mixed over/under hand grip and change which hand round each set. Had to change as my forarms were bursting with the double over hand the heavier i got, the new grip makes it alot easier.

Totally agree with what fufu said - great post.

I doubt you're overtraining the forearms, they're incredibly resilient - not unlike the calves - when it comes to training. I can batter my grip 3-5 times a week and so long as you don't try to overreach and strain it recovers pretty quick.

I'm doing a series of articles about grip training soon (have already written two of them, need to record a video now), but if you have any specific questions send me a PM or just post in here.

Grip training is a lot like core training in that it's critical to your performance, yet most people either don't do it at all or just don't do it properly.

Farmer's walks, rack pulls, static holds, weighted chins, etc. are all great for improving your grip.

I use a mixed grip on regular deads and I never switch. I use a double overhand grip on RDLs though.

Which grip do you use then? Ive just recently switched to the mixed over/under hand grip and change which hand round each set. Had to change as my forarms were bursting with the double over hand the heavier i got, the new grip makes it alot easier.

I use them all depending on the situation. I do DOH as long as I can on any kind of deadlift. Then, I will use a hook or mixed grip after my DOH fails. I am more likely to use a hook grip deadlifting from the floor compared to when I do RDL's because of the prolonged stress on the thumb that occurs when doing a RDL.

During any Olympic lift or variation of an Olympic lift I always use a hook grip.

Gaz - Based on a 4 day split, where would you reccomend forearm work & what exercises?

1.) Legs

2.) Chest

3.) Legs

4.) Chest

You don't train back? :hmmm:

You could add an exercise to each training day if you like. Farmer's Walks, Static Holds, Monkey Hangs, and some sort of crushing exercise like hand Grippers or Finger Curls, or some type of pronated wrist curl.

You don't train back? :hmmm:

You could add an exercise to each training day if you like. Farmer's Walks, Static Holds, Monkey Hangs, and some sort of crushing exercise like hand Grippers or Finger Curls, or some type of pronated wrist curl.

Yes, I do back. I just over simplified my routine to give you an idea of what my split was. What is a pronated wrist curl. Thanks

Mon. (Wk1)
Max
Squat - Work to 1RM & 3*@/above 90% Max
Hamstrings - "Low Intensity" Good Mornings
Low Back - Back Raises
Abs

Mon. (Wk2)
Speed
Squat - 10*2 @50%
Hamstrings - "High Intensity" Good Mornings
Low Back - "Weighted" Back Raises
Farmers Walks - 4* @40lbs
Abs - "Weighted"

Wed.
Max
Flat Bench - Work to 1RM & 3*@/above 90% Max
Triceps - "Low Intensity" Extensions
Shoulders - "Low Intensity" Raises
Lats/Upper Back - "Low Intensity" Rear Raises

Fri. (Wk1)
Speed
Deadlift - 10*2 @50%
Hamstrings - "High Intensity" Good Mornings
Low Back - "Weighted" Back Raises
Abs "Weighted"

Fri. (Wk2)
Max
Deadlift - Work to 1RM & 3*@/above 90% Max
Hamstrings - "Low Intensity" Good Mornings
Low Back - Back Raises
Abs

Sat.
Speed
Flat Bench - 8*3 @55%
Triceps - "High Intensity" 4 Board BB Close Grip Presses
Shoulders - High Intensity" Military Press
Lats/Upper Back - "Low Intensity" - Rows or Pull Throughs

Based on the westside template by the looks of it? :) nice.

I've just planned out a program using Westside and i integrated a lot of grip work into it. I put one lift on the ME days, and 2 lifts on the DE days.

Pronated wrist curl is just a wrist curl with your palms down so it trains the extensors of the forearm rather than the flexors.

I would definitely contemplate adding some one handed deadlifts in there somewhere. Its nice as Deadlift accessory since its very light, but you have to really concentrate on your grip and balance/control throughout the lift.

IML Gear Cream!
Yes on the Westside template, fufu turned me on to this program not too long ago & I'm diggin it. I'll look to add a forearm exercise on ME days & two on DE.

I'll also look into rotating in the one handed deadlift as an accessory. THX!

Flathead

Oh that sucks. Is there any way I can make sure that I am not rotating my spine?

Oh that sucks. Is there any way I can make sure that I am not rotating my spine?

Having someone watch you is the best method to find out if you are doing it. You could also take a video from a profile angle.

However, being aware of you spine to keep it neutral could help.

Thanks fufu. Yes having someone watch is the best way.

I was wondering - if the bar is parallel to the floor and parallel to the front wall, then can I assume that my spine is not rotated? :hmmm:

Thanks fufu. Yes having someone watch is the best way.

I was wondering - if the bar is parallel to the floor and parallel to the front wall, then can I assume that my spine is not rotated? :hmmm:

Possibly, but the body often compensates when it makes an error. The bar may be parallel to the wall in front of you, but that doesn't mean somewhere in your body you compensated the spinal torsion to make the the bar parallel.

Anyway, you wouldn't be able to tell that on your own, so you wouldn't be able to use that as a form cue, nor would anyone else because you can't stand lateral to most walls in a profile view.

It is best to have a knowledgeable person watch you dead lift.

Also - many errors, such as the one we are talking about, are easy enough to correct on your own if you just use a little body awareness during the exercise.

Yes on the Westside template, fufu turned me on to this program not too long ago & I'm diggin it. I'll look to add a forearm exercise on ME days & two on DE.

I'll also look into rotating in the one handed deadlift as an accessory. THX!

Flathead

No problem dude! I would do 3-4 sets on each exercise, and start off light and add weight each set. Your hands are resilient, but it's easy to overshoot and irritate the connective tissue and tendons at first.

Ok, I tried mixed grip and now grip is not an issue at all. I did alternate every rep but felt a little awkward with right hand supinated. The other combination felt natural.

Don't jack off 5 hours prior to your work out. You'll have an a lot better grip.

Trust me. Experience.

If your DL`ing "Traditionally", that is with your feet close together, take a few seconds and OVER GRIP the bar, that is exaggerate over wrapping your hand around the bar. If you sumo DL, OVER GRIPPING is tough to do, because your focus is on dropping down, & Gripp`n, and Ripp`n the weight of the floor.
So you lose your grip every now and then, no big deal, that`s a sign your busting your fanny in the gym, which is a good thing.

Back