• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

BACK! yea!

SnowManSnow

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
hey guys n girls. its been a while! My lifting partner and I are about ready to hit the weights again. We've been religiously hitting p90x and Insanity for the last year and are ready to build again!

what are your thoughts on the following?
1) I'm in shape BUT ... what % of my lift weight should I attempt for the first few weeks? Should I just jump into the normal 90% or so or do I take it easy to allow my joints and such to adapt again?
I ask this because when I was lifting heavy (for me) my wrists hurt and I had elbow pain. My frame just isn't a heavy lifting frame u know....At 185 lbs I'm pushing 100lb dumbells on each side flat bench... everything else was pretty much in that % I guess.

2) as a review.. and to make sure I have it right in my own mind how does the following full body sound 3 x week?
All done 6-8 reps 3 sets
1) flat bench DB presses (push)
2) lat pulls (pull)
3) arnold presses (push)
4) lawnmowers (pull)
5) lumberjack squats (no rack available)
6) deadlift

I'm excited to lift for the next 6 months :)
I'm thick skinned, I can take it. advice to get me going again?

B

My friend orderd p90x I looked at it and didnt like it very much.I think you could get way better results doing push-ups,pull-ups,situps and sprinting 4 days a week Imo.But whatever works 4 u.I tried full body 3x a week didnt like it.

yup :) p90 IS NOT FOR BODY BUILDING, but it made me a better athlete. INSANITY is like 90x on crack. I'm happy with my cardio thanks to these.

that being said I have lost what I would consider considerable muscle mass because I haven't been lifting and my diet hasnt supported the muscle I HAD.

B

Sounds like you have an ok plan to start out getting your muscles going again. I personally don't like full body days, but after an extended time off they are not a bad way to start out.

it generally takes me about 2 weeks after a break to get back into things.. strength wise.

Why dont you work out three times a week hitting different body parts? 3 Full body work outs wont get gains that fast.

Sounds like you have an ok plan to start out getting your muscles going again. I personally don't like full body days, but after an extended time off they are not a bad way to start out.
I agree, full body may be a real nice way to build the strength back up as a whole. I did this for a couple weeks and am now just starting to divide my body into sections to focus on different days, and I am very glad I did the full body first.

I agree, full body may be a real nice way to build the strength back up as a whole. I did this for a couple weeks and am now just starting to divide my body into sections to focus on different days, and I am very glad I did the full body first.

I would positively limit the full body to only a couple of weeks.

IML Gear Cream!
Fullbody workouts are an excellent way of training in my opinion.

I just recently tried an upper/lower split again, but had to change back to FB workouts after only a few weeks because I really enjoy fullbody workouts so much more. I find I can get a much better and more intense workout when using a fullbody split.

Now I'm not saying that upper/lower splits aren't good, just that fullbody workouts are just as good, and you can accomplish just as much.

I love doing heavy deads, pullups, and military press all in the same workout. Nothing better.

Why?

You'll find there's an overwhelming number of members here who feel that full-body training is the most efficient method.

How long do you spend doing the full body workout?

How long do you spend doing the full body workout?

Depends. A full-body workout doesn't have to take any longer than muscle group splits. It depends on sets/reps, rest intervals, tempo, time for equipment set-up, etc.

There are two ways to look at full-body workouts:

(1.) Working upper and lower in one session (i.e. lower push/upper pull)

(2.) Working all six planes of motion in one session (this is my favourite method)

Many people would think option 2 is overkill, but it doesn't have to be. You're doing only one movement per plane, and usually no more than 3 sets per plane. Even if you were to do a higher-volume week you're still training only 3 days of the week -- meaning you're resting more days than training.

Though I may have seen better gains on one or two other, more advanced programs (like my current volume program -- best one I've ever written), the full-body 3-day split was the program I felt the happiest with. Reason? I got to train every major muscle group several times over; there were no fluff movements...it was the best of the best in one all-star session (I love squatting and deadlifting 3x a week!); I trained my body very intensively yet didn't overstrain any muscle groups -- and because of this I hardly ever experienced DOMS; fewer days in the gym = emotionally/socially untaxing program; you maintain nice pumps on all muscle groups all week.

For me it takes just under an hour. 3 sets 6-8 reps... Somethng just short of failure for last set as far as the 6-8 reps go.

Though I may have seen better gains on one or two other, more advanced programs (like my current volume program -- best one I've ever written), the full-body 3-day split was the program I felt the happiest with. Reason? I got to train every major muscle group several times over; there were no fluff movements...it was the best of the best in one all-star session (I love squatting and deadlifting 3x a week!); I trained my body very intensively yet didn't overstrain any muscle groups -- and because of this I hardly ever experienced DOMS; fewer days in the gym = emotionally/socially untaxing program; you maintain nice pumps on all muscle groups all week.
See, this is sort of why I decided to split my full-body routine. I feel as if, to stay motivated, I need to keep myself active every day. Just 3 times a week, and I get ancy.. I have tried it, and I go nuts wanting to do something, anything, on my rest days. I am not quite at the point of asking advice about my routine and diet, but I am getting there. Few more weeks and I will have better access to equipment and will likely be ready.
My question is: is it possible to do a full-body routine every day, without over training. I do enjoy the full-body, but I also want to do something every day.

Why not just do a fullbody workout every other day and do a few GPP workouts per week on the off days?

Ahh I understand where you guys are coming from.. thing is I do workout every day .. .well days a week.... but only 3 of them are lifting. I love INSANITY so much that we hit that on every other day. I realize it may be anti body building to do THAT much cardio.. but it is SOOOOO FUN>

B

can someone post up the insanity workout or px90? i heard about it before - but have not seen it?

IML Gear Cream!
OK as an update.

2nd workout full body as stated above. Workout was pushing Id say 75%. Not a lot of redlining.

1) Lawnmower DB 90lb 3 sets 8 reps
2) Lat pull 135 3x8
3) Deadlift 145 3x8
4) Seated Arnold Presses 45 3x8
5) Lumberjack 150 3x8
6) DB Flat Bench 80 3x8

I realize the weight isn't there yet, but it will come. I could have done more, but I'm not interested in pulling something during the first week back in the gym. Motions are nice and smooth, form is good. Feel good.. can't wait for 6 or so more so I can start adding more weight.

B

alrighty! started 2nd week of training today (well second week BACK)

progress is as follows

Flat Bench DB press : 90lb 3x8
Lawnmowers: 80lb 3x8
Lat Pulls: 187 3x8
Arnolds: 60lb 3x8 (last set 6 reps)
DLs: 185 (working weight up slow to remind body of good form) 3x8
Lumber Jack Squats: 125lb (same as above:))

Overall it felt good to get under some weight that offered a little resistance. I noticed my form was actually better with a little heaver weight than it was last week with lighter stuff. Maybe it just forced me to slow down just enough.

B

more advanced programs (like my current volume program -- best one I've ever written), the full-body 3-day split was the program I felt the happiest with. Reason? I got to train every major muscle group several times over; there were no fluff movements...it was the best of the best in one all-star session (I love squatting and deadlifting 3x a week!); I trained my body very intensively yet didn't overstrain any muscle groups -- and because of this I hardly ever experienced DOMS; fewer days in the gym = emotionally/socially untaxing program; you maintain nice pumps on all muscle groups all week.

Phineas,

Any chance you could PM me your current volume program? Or post it here? I'm getting ready to run a cycle in August and wanted to switch to a 3 day full body workout while on cycle.

Thanks,

Phineas,

Any chance you could PM me your current volume program? Or post it here? I'm getting ready to run a cycle in August and wanted to switch to a 3 day full body workout while on cycle.

Thanks,

If you're planning on using it you should really make sure your diet is in check. The only way I'm not only able to handle the volume but make the gains I have is because I have my macros in check and am eating like a god damn horse. I hope you love carbs, because you'll need them.

Are you using fitday? If not I would suggest first getting your diet down for the program. You'll need plenty of calories. Also, I'm running a pretty heavy weekly cardio regime as well, as I'm training for my first half marathon in two years. It's low volume/high intensity for 4 times a week (not so much that I can't replace the calories and keep gaining weight during training). Believe it or not, all the cardio helps with the volume training. It's helping me recover faster and get through the high-rep sets.

Anyway, get back to me on that. Maybe post your diet first so everyone can have a look. No processed food on this program. All whole foods, excluding your protein supplement (if you even use any). I use 1 scoop a day for 25g protein. All of my other food is whole foods.

Also, you'll have to be willing to deload for one week a month. So, 3 weeks on, 1 off. And in that week it's no strenuous physical activity..just eating and resting. It's worth it though; I've added 10 - 15 lbs on all my major lifts in the first 3 weeks. I'm done deloading on Tuesday and return to the gym on Wednesday for the first day of cycle 2...repeated for 4 cycles (4 months).

If you're planning on using it you should really make sure your diet is in check. The only way I'm not only able to handle the volume but make the gains I have is because I have my macros in check and am eating like a god damn horse. I hope you love carbs, because you'll need them.

Are you using fitday? If not I would suggest first getting your diet down for the program. You'll need plenty of calories. Also, I'm running a pretty heavy weekly cardio regime as well, as I'm training for my first half marathon in two years. It's low volume/high intensity for 4 times a week (not so much that I can't replace the calories and keep gaining weight during training). Believe it or not, all the cardio helps with the volume training. It's helping me recover faster and get through the high-rep sets.

Anyway, get back to me on that. Maybe post your diet first so everyone can have a look. No processed food on this program. All whole foods, excluding your protein supplement (if you even use any). I use 1 scoop a day for 25g protein. All of my other food is whole foods.

Also, you'll have to be willing to deload for one week a month. So, 3 weeks on, 1 off. And in that week it's no strenuous physical activity..just eating and resting. It's worth it though; I've added 10 - 15 lbs on all my major lifts in the first 3 weeks. I'm done deloading on Tuesday and return to the gym on Wednesday for the first day of cycle 2...repeated for 4 cycles (4 months).

Phineas,
My diet is fine. Have been running a cut for the last 6 or so weeks and have tracked my macros on FitDay. I ran a 1-Andro cycle which I kept a journal of for the 6 weeks including my macro's. Like I mentioned in my post, I would like to move from a PRRS I have been running to a 3 day full body split while I run a Test Cyp cycle. I will be jumping my calories up to about 4000 per day during the cycle, so I am not concerned with my caloric intake and I do properly follow my macros for Protein and Fat intake. I have had a few discussion with Built regarding diet.

I have read a lot of your post and know you have a good insight into proper training and techniques which is why I asked about your program.

Back