• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

push/pull/legs

drewsmith

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
does anyone have a good push/pull/legs type routine that will give me excellent growth primarily but also increase strength? this is for a natural lifter, ectomorphic by nature (i know that nutrition is a big part in results)

from this page:
ww.ironmagazineforums.com/training/53106-designing-full-body-routine.htm

had to get rid of first w and last l

routine A
squats x 3 sets
military press x 3
weighted push ups x 3
french press x 3

routine B
deadlifts x 3
bent over row x 3
pull ups x 3
bicep curls x 3

going ABA 1 week and then BAB next?

rep range 6-12 with a cadence of 2-0-X-0

comments pls? will that be enough rest? im a natural lifter btw.

i would personally do a different 3rd day workout, and throw in
-romanian deadlifts
-calve raises
-bench press
-incline bench press (or dumb bell flies)

anyone else want to give some advice please? it will be hitting each muscle group approx twice every 8 days is this about right or is it more effective to go for a once per week type split

from this page:
ww.ironmagazineforums.com/training/53106-designing-full-body-routine.htm

had to get rid of first w and last l

routine A
squats x 3 sets
military press x 3
weighted push ups x 3
french press x 3

routine B
deadlifts x 3
bent over row x 3
pull ups x 3
bicep curls x 3

going ABA 1 week and then BAB next?

rep range 6-12 with a cadence of 2-0-X-0

comments pls? will that be enough rest? im a natural lifter btw.

I think the program looks solid. One change I'd make is ditch the pushups for a bench press, or some other chest-dominant lift.

What does the "x" signify for your eccentric tempo? 2 second concentrics sounds great, though. I think 2-0-2 is great, and even a few seconds pause before an eccentric is perfectly fine when you're pushing submaximal loads and need a breather.

Re: rep ranges. Rather than say 6-12, why not write a structured periodization plan? You'll see results by altering intensity, but if you progress in a linear manner it will likely be more productive.

For instance:

Week 1 and 2: 3 x 12 @ 15 RM
Week 3 and 4: 3 x 8 @ 10 RM
Week 5 ad 6 : 4 x 5 @ 5-6 RM
Week 7 and 8: 3 x 3-5 @ 3-5 RM

Great exercise choices.

thanks phineas this is the kind of advice i was looking for sorry the 2-0-X-0 was supposed to be 2 second eccentric, 0 pause at bottom, X is supposed to symbolise concentric explosively ie as fast as i can i've read that the greatest force activates the most motor units? and then 0 seconds pause at top. I can swap in bench for weighted push ups no problem, thanks for the advice. I usually just do each set to almost failure/failure write down the value and next time try and beat it? is this not the best way to do it? i kind of see it like if i beat it next time i have to have gotten stronger?

thanks phineas this is the kind of advice i was looking for sorry the 2-0-X-0 was supposed to be 2 second eccentric, 0 pause at bottom, X is supposed to symbolise concentric explosively ie as fast as i can i've read that the greatest force activates the most motor units? and then 0 seconds pause at top. I can swap in bench for weighted push ups no problem, thanks for the advice. I usually just do each set to almost failure/failure write down the value and next time try and beat it? is this not the best way to do it? i kind of see it like if i beat it next time i have to have gotten stronger?

I'd suggest controlling the tempo on your concentrics, as well. 2 seconds up 2 down is fine. I usually like to do freestyle and just go with the moment. Sometimes I end up doing random negatives, sometimes more explosive..just whatever I'm feeling. I think it's best to train according to how your body wants to naturally do it. But, it's also good to have a structured tempo as a foundation.

I wouldn't train to failure that often. This is extremely hard on your central nervous system. This type of training works for some people -- usually those on gear -- but for most it's just impractical if you're looking out for long-term success. You can push to near-failure, and likely see better results that way. That method won't damange your CNS as much, so it allows your body to better adapt to the growing demand for strength output.

Imagine it like this: let's say a parent is trying to teach their recent high school graduate about financial responsibility so that he can move out on his own in due time, so they charge them rent. Say the kid makes $800 every 2 weeks. The more reasonable approach would be to charge maybe $400. This way, half of his earnings are going to rent, so he can't be frivilous with his money; he has to manage it, and over time he grows more responsible: he parties less; packs his own lunches from home; and takes public transit instead of over-using his car. Over time, he saves money and is not only able to put a deposit down on his own place but has now developed good spending habits so he can maintain that place.

However, if his parent was very hardline they might charge $750. This method would probably be less productive because nearly all of his money is going to rent. He doesn't even have enough to learn how to manage money, nor does he have enough to save for his own place. The parent is crippling him, and over time his social life and happiness decrease because he just doesn't have the means to the end.

Does this make sense? I'm not good with analogies. Basically, hitting failure all the time is pushing your CNS into overdrive, except it doesn't like that. Your CNS goes "whoooaaa man back the fuck off" and starts to inhibit its own output by making you weaker (so that you can't lift the same weight that was previously damanging it).

Taking a more progressive approach is healthier, safer, and actually more productive -- again, unless you're on gear.

this potentially is why i hit walls, ive tried a twice a week type routine like the one above but found myself struggling, i think its because i was often going to failure thus crippling my CNS. Is this kind of routine more effective than a once per week type routine?
PS im def not on gear ^^ and is periodization really necessary? does it make a massive difference sorry for all the questions!

IML Gear Cream!
this potentially is why i hit walls, ive tried a twice a week type routine like the one above but found myself struggling, i think its because i was often going to failure thus crippling my CNS. Is this kind of routine more effective than a once per week type routine?
PS im def not on gear ^^ and is periodization really necessary? does it make a massive difference sorry for all the questions!

Periodization gives your training direction by setting goals and building towards those goals in a progressive manner. It's a way to plan your sessions ahead so you have concrete goals for each workout; this way, you're not just there to do so many sets. For instance, in my current program each week I try to up my major lifts by at least 5 lbs. I try and increase my reps on any secondary lifts I'm lagging on. Or, I might even say "next week I want to improve my heavy bent over row for the same weight at 5 reps so that I have better control and tempo". You have mini-objectives within the main ones. Instead of just "putting on 20 lbs of muscle" you have stops along the way. Periodization is like writing out your own map to get to a city. Simply going to the gym is like trying to find your way along the drive by asking local folk for directions.

Also, periodization should incorporate planned rest periods. This is usually in the form of a week off every 3-12 weeks (depending on training volume/intensity) to give your CNS recovery time. This means no strenuous physical activity.

If you're not going to failure all the time then I would suggest doing those sessions 3 days a week. Just alternate the sessions every week, so A-B-A becomes B-A-B.

i understand about the planned rest periods, but a lot of periodization schemes change reps a lot as in week 1 - 15 reps, weeks 2 and 3 - 10 reps, weeks 4 and 5 - 6 reps, week 6 - rest repeat etc. do you need to do this, can it not just be every week you do between 6-12 reps, as in you start off with a weight you can lift for 6, as you get stronger you lift it for more reps until finally you can do 12 good form reps with that weight at this point next workout you up the weight? obviously still taking a week off every couple of months?

i understand about the planned rest periods, but a lot of periodization schemes change reps a lot as in week 1 - 15 reps, weeks 2 and 3 - 10 reps, weeks 4 and 5 - 6 reps, week 6 - rest repeat etc. do you need to do this, can it not just be every week you do between 6-12 reps, as in you start off with a weight you can lift for 6, as you get stronger you lift it for more reps until finally you can do 12 good form reps with that weight at this point next workout you up the weight? obviously still taking a week off every couple of months?

You can. And you would still see results. However, training according to a planned program that trains your muscles at varying intensities is a more efficient way to stimulate more muscle fibres/motor units.

Go to Gaz's site (getlifting.info) and read his article on periodization.

Back