• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Selecting the proper rep ranges for your program

gtbmed

Greg
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've seen a lot of people here lately who seem to pick their number of sets and reps arbitrarily or based on common rep ranges. I have to admit that I used to do this when I was new, so I thought I'd make a thread pulling from an article about how to properly choose the number of sets and reps for your workouts.

First, all of the following is based on Prilepin's Table. Learn it, use it, love it:

Intensities are percentages of your 1 rep max.

Prilepinchart.jpg

How to interpret this chart:

The "Intensity" is the percentage of the 1 rep maximum that you're using for a given lift. Keep in mind that your 5RM is about 90% of your 1RM and your 8RM is about 80% of your 1RM.

The "Reps/set" column is telling you the optimal rep range for every set you do at a given intensity. So if you're lifting at 80% of your 1RM, you should use between 2 and 4 reps for every set.

The "Optimal total" column lists the optimal number of total reps in a single workout at a given intensity. Continuing with our example of a lifter using 80% of his 1RM, the optimal number of reps the lifter could perform for this exercise during one workout would be 15.

The "Total range" column lists the minimum and maximum number of total reps a lifter should perform at a given intensity. So our lifter using 80% should perform at least 10 reps and at most 20 reps. Any less would be too easy and any more would be too taxing.

Using Prilepin's table to design set/rep schemes:

This information gives a lifter a lot of possibilities to design set and rep schemes for a workout. Let's say we have a lifter squatting at 80% of his 1RM. These are the best options for set/rep schemes according to Prilepin's table:

5x3
4x4
8x2
6x3
9x2

There are many more possibilities, but they stray away from the optimal total number of reps, which is 15.

More advanced discussion:

Prilepin's table fails a bit because it doesn't distinguish between intensities within a certain range. It is obviously tougher to lift at 85% of your 1RM than it is to lift at 80%, but Prilepin's table makes no distinction between these weights.

The table also doesn't help when a lifter wants to use different intensities in one workout. If a lifter wants to do a set at 75% and another 3 sets at 85%, the table doesn't offer a solution to the ideal number of sets/reps.

This is where we make some adjustments:

adjusted number of lifts = (number of lifts at a given intensity) / (100 - intensity)

Adjusted number of lifts gives you an idea of the difficulty of a single set. So, using the previous example of a person squatting 5x3 @ 80% of their 1RM:

The total number of lifts is 15. The intensity is 80%. So the adjusted number of lifts is:

15 / (100-80) = 0.75

If the lifter were to do 1 set of 5 at 75% and 3 sets of 4 at 80%, the adjusted number of lifts would be:

1x5 / (100-75) + 3x4 / (100-80) = 5/25 + 12/20 = 0.8

Using this scheme, the 2nd workout is slightly more difficult.

Guidelines for adjusted number of lifts:

For each week of training, it's best to keep the adjusted number of lifts between 2 and 4. Doing less than 2 may work for those who are deloading. Doing more than 4 is extremely difficult. Adjusted numbers of lifts between 3 and 4 are taxing and might not be sustainable over months.

For each individual workout, try to keep the adjusted number of lifts between 0.4 and 2 for any single exercise.

Source (along with a lot more good information) here.

If one desires to create their own routine, it is necessary to take information like this into consideration. Intensity is just as critical to proper programming as movement selection or rep ranges.

Great post.

Prilepins Table is the article with the most hits on my site. A fact i'm pleased about, actually!

Its really useful to be able to look at it laid out nicely, and its a big help when you're trying to come up with a periodization scheme.

I'll second that. We need a sticky on periodization.

If so, Gaz -- can you include in the thread a link to your article on linear periodization? It's not covered well enough in our training stickies. Even the newbs who do their research with great exercise selection, frequency, and even volume always neglect to include periodization in their program. Next to too much isolation and upper body training, it's probably the most common problem is members programs posted in the training section.

Excellent post gtbmed. I'd rep you but the damn system won't let me yet. The rep system is so flawed. I want to rep the same people over and over for quality posts, but I can't because apparently it's not fair and I need to spread more around. Pfff, my ass!

while we are on the subject of stickies. can we add "The Posts of Phineas" to the sticky section?

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/search.php?searchid=1525234

I hate to be on anyones nuts but I have never read so much consistent thought out well rounded impatient and purely excellent advice post to post. IMO reading through phineas's posts should be a pre-requisite to posting in the training forum. His posts answer questions that the average poster would not even think to ask. excelent stuff. needs to be captured.

I think some new stickies about periodization would be valuable to many people.

while we are on the subject of stickies. can we add "The Posts of Phineas" to the sticky section?

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/search.php?searchid=1525234

I hate to be on anyones nuts but I have never read so much consistent thought out well rounded impatient and purely excellent advice post to post. IMO reading through phineas's posts should be a pre-requisite to posting in the training forum. His posts answer questions that the average poster would not even think to ask. excelent stuff. needs to be captured.

:fapn: Ahhh yaaa, yaaaa, YAAAA!!!

Great post - thanks for the info. I bookmarked it until it gets (hopefully) stickied

My current periodization falls outside of this chart when it comes to reps / set. Looks like I'm ok when it comes to optimal/total range but your post is making me second guess my plan

Week 1 5x5 @ 85%
Week 2 2x12 @ 65%
Week 3 3x8 @ 80%

Should I change it to something like this?

Week 1 4x4 @ 85%
Week 2 4x6 @ 65%
Week 3 3x6 @75%

Great post - thanks for the info. I bookmarked it until it gets (hopefully) stickied

My current periodization falls outside of this chart when it comes to reps / set. Looks like I'm ok when it comes to optimal/total range but your post is making me second guess my plan

Week 1 5x5 @ 85%
Week 2 2x12 @ 65%
Week 3 3x8 @ 80%

Should I change it to something like this?

Week 1 4x4 @ 85%
Week 2 4x6 @ 65%
Week 3 3x6 @75%

I think that would be great, a lot more organized. In fact it looks similar to a 5x5 or Texas method program but periodized according to weeks instead of days.:)

Keep in mind that you can stray away from the optimal number of total reps if you want. Always make small adjustments to the number of total reps based on how you feel. But stay within the limits of the reps per set column.

The reason to follow those guidelines are pretty simple: if you do more reps per set, your form will start to breakdown, the final reps won't be quality work, and the loss of proper form will put you at a higher risk for injury. We've all felt this before - you do a set of 10 deadlifts and your back starts to round on rep 7 or 8. You're better off stopping the set, resting, and doing another set of quality work.

I actually just used this to come up with a new monthly block periodization scheme for squats:

week 1: 5x3 @ 88%
week 2: 4x2 @ 92%
week 3: 6x1 @ 96%
week 4: 3x5 @ 75%

This is for strength gains but I'm not specifically emphasizing the squat during this time.

Awesome post! This will definitely help me go nuts in the gym, I love doing sets that vary rep ranges.

My brother and I are probably one of a handful of people on here who do not like periodization whatsoever...

Very good info that is broken down so that some of the newer guys can understand and follow. Awesome!

this chart makes working out more complicated than it should be. you should be able to feel if you are working hard enough. and i think anyone who has worked out for awhile would know when to stop also. my advice is to listen to your body and dont try to over do it.

great info, thanks for posting this.. been tryin to find infos about proper rep ranges

Great post.

Prilepins Table is the article with the most hits on my site. A fact i'm pleased about, actually!

Its really useful to be able to look at it laid out nicely, and its a big help when you're trying to come up with a periodization scheme.
Resurrecting this old thread...

I've read this thread as well as your blog about the table. So according to the table it recommends a max of 6 reps?

I'm looking to add periodization to my upper/lower routine working towards size. I use a pretty standard routine and change up the exercises every couple of months or so.

Consider these sets/reps of my first Lower as an example.
Squats - 4X6
SLDL - 4x8
Leg press - 4x10
Seated calves - 3x15

According to the chart I should rework that to be a max of 6 reps per set. I feel I'm misunderstanding the chart. :hmmm:

yeah theres a little more that needs to be in it but overall not bad

Resurrecting this old thread...

I've read this thread as well as your blog about the table. So according to the table it recommends a max of 6 reps?

I'm looking to add periodization to my upper/lower routine working towards size. I use a pretty standard routine and change up the exercises every couple of months or so.

Consider these sets/reps of my first Lower as an example.
Squats - 4X6
SLDL - 4x8
Leg press - 4x10
Seated calves - 3x15

According to the chart I should rework that to be a max of 6 reps per set. I feel I'm misunderstanding the chart. :hmmm:

In all honesty this should be in the "strength sports" section of this forum because it applies more to strength gains than muscle building. That said, I've heard strength phases can be really helpful for bodybuilders.

It also applies more to complex movements because there's a degree of difficulty involved in performing the lift and when you start to fatigue you're not getting as much of a training benefit from continuing your set. For things like calf raises there's no significant loss of form associated with fatigue.

Back