• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

New workout routine, please criticize!!

alan84

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys, wanted to change my workout routine. I have been training for over three years consistenly and always been using body split routine. I want to give a full body workout a try and see how that works. It will be a four day program, two days upper body and two days lower body. Here it is in sequence:

Upper body A:

Bench Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Rows
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Incline Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Lat Pull-Downs
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Lateral Raises
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.
Triceps Press-Downs
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Dumbbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Lower body :

Romanian Deadlifts
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Leg Press
3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Leg Curls
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets of 6-8 reps.
Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.

Third day: off

Upper body B:

Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Lower body B:

Squats
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Split Squats
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Laying Leg Curls
3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Calf Raises
4 sets of 10-12 reps.
Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.

Day 5 off
Day 6 off.

Please let me know what u guys think of the workout and exercise selection. My goal is gain lean mass. I plan to do cardio two time a week and it will post workout after upper body A and upper body B. Thanks in advance.

In my opinion I would up your sets at least one more on everything calf raises do them barefooted and do closer to 15-20. Also don't take that much of a break i usually do like 45 seconds and count them out by saying one one thousands... works for me but everyone is different. Good luck on the new workout routine.

In my opinion I would up your sets at least one more on everything calf raises do them barefooted and do closer to 15-20. Also don't take that much of a break i usually do like 45 seconds and count them out by saying one one thousands... works for me but everyone is different. Good luck on the new workout routine.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the rest part, I think I should go for 45-60 seconds max. So you think that I should add more sets, do u mean on compound movements only? Or with everything?

I would add a set to everything but what works for me might not work for you so tweak it around a bit and see how you feel after the first week. Are you sore? Do you feel like you can keep going after each work out? ask yourself questions after every work out you should leave the gym with the fulfillment of a great work out if you don't ask yourself what could you change to make it better. People think making a workout is easy do a bunch of exercises and done but to get the best out of your work out in my opinion is by identifying the things that could have gone better and changing them.

Hm there sure is a lot of isolation exercises in there. I would try to stick to mostly compound movements.

Read this sticky: http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/113873-selecting-proper-rep-ranges-your-program.html

Find more suitable rep ranges. Right now you have common "bodybuilding" rep ranges but they're not necessarily the most efficent/logical choices for the exercises listed. Part of it is learning what works best for you but to a large degree there are generalizations of what works -- such as squatting at lower volume and higher intensity (i.e. submaximal loads) to improve neural efficiency (basically means trains your muscles to be relatively stronger than their size...meaning you can lift more weight with not necessarily putting on much size). Even if you want size it's good to tackle both sides of the coin -- strength and rep training for hypertrophy. Both will compliment each other and make you more successful in the long run. Plus, you won't just be a show body. You'll have power to your muscles.

Overall you have a lot of good exercises in there, and I like that you have your sessions 50/50 upper and lower. That's an excellent start.

I'd remove some of the isolation. Add deadlifts. The stronger you are the easier muscle will come -- pending you eat plenty.

^^^ thanks for the feedback Phineas, I read that sticky and it does makes a lot of sence tho. I have never tried a 1RM before and I guess it is the time to find what is my 1RM on the big lifts lol. Then I will base the reps on that and follow the the Prilepin's table.

Back