• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Republicans Seek to Kill Obama's Housing Relief Programs

LAM

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
By Stephen Clark

Published March 11, 2011 | FoxNews.com

advertisement

President Obama's four major initiatives to provide relief to hard-hit homeowners -- including his signature foreclosure prevention effort, the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) -- are on the firing line as Republicans in Congress seek to seize the unused funds from the programs to help reduce the debt.

The Republican-controlled House voted Friday to end the Emergency Homeowners' Relief Program, which seeks to help unemployed or sick homeowners. That program was created in 1975 but has never received funding until last year's Wall Street overhaul bill set aside $1 billion for it. It is set to start accepting applications later this year.

On Thursday, the House voted to terminate the Federal Housing Administration's Refinance Program, which is aimed at helping borrowers who owe more than their homes are worth. That program, authorized under the Troubled Asset Relief Program, has only used $50 million of the more than $8 billion allocated for it since it launched in September.

Next week, the House is expected to vote on eliminating the $46 billion HAMP and the $7 billion Neighborhood Stabilization Program, which provides money to local governments and groups to fix up homes and communities devastated by foreclosure.

Despite the sudden burst of activity on the House floor, the bills are likely to die in the Senate where Democrats still retain power. And the White House has threatened to veto the bills if they arrive on the president's desk.

But taken together, the programs have given ammunition to both liberals and conservatives critical of the administration's housing policy amid a foreclosure crisis in which banks repossessed a record of more than 1 million homes in 2010 with even more expected this year.

The Obama Treasury Department strongly opposes the GOP effort to end HAMP, the cornerstone of the president's housing rescue efforts.

"Terminating this program would prevent us from helping tens of thousands of additional families each month, relax the pressure on mortgage companies to offer better assistance to struggling homeowners, and damage the prospects of recovery in our still-fragile housing market," Acting Assistant Secretary for Financial Stability Tim Massad said in a statement.

Massad argued that HAMP has been designed to protect taxpayer interest.

"It does not apply to loans for vacant properties or second homes, and loans are modified only where it makes economic sense to do so," he said. "Taxpayer funds are only spent if homeowners make their payments. Keeping families in their homes on these terms is good for families, neighborhoods and our economy as a whole."

But a northern Virginia homeowner told FoxNews.com that while she supports keeping the program alive, she wouldn't wish the application process "on my worst enemy."

The homeowner, who did not want to reveal her identify for fear of jeopardizing her application status, said that she almost lost her house while waiting for her application to be reviewed. HAMP requires applicants to default on their mortgage loan to be eligible to enter the program.

But unbeknownst to her, Virginia is one of a handful of states that allows banks to repossess a house one month after the homeowner has defaulted.

The homeowner recently found out her house had been put up for sale three weeks before the auction. She was able to halt the auction after hiring an attorney.

"I am forever grateful that I had this opportunity to save my house," she said. "But I nearly had a nervous breakdown in the process of trying to save it."

While the Virginia homeowner got a reprieve from the program, it's a rare occurrence.

Created in the spring of 2009 with high expectations, the HAMP program has fallen way short of its goals. Only $12 billion has been spent so far, with most of the funds going to services and homeowners, the Congressional Budget Office says.

The program was expected to permanently lower mortgage payments for 3 to 4 million homeowners. Yet, only slightly more than 500,000 borrowers have received permanent loan modifications under the program.

More than 800,000 of the 1.5 million borrowers who started in the program have quit. Meanwhile, the private sector has modified 9.8 million mortgages since 2007, according to the Financial Services Roundtable.

Special Inspector General for TARP Neil Barofsky savaged HAMP in congressional testimony this month, saying the program's "failed trial modifications often leave borrowers with more principal outstanding on their loans, less home equity, depleted savings, and worse credit scores."

There is "near universal agreement that the program has failed to meet its goals," Barofsky said, adding "there is little reason to hope things will get better."

Republicans have seized on Barofksy's testimony in their crusade to kill the program.

"Congress should move swiftly to end the president's disastrous mortgage program," said Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., who along with Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee and Tom Coburn of Oklahoma introduced legislation Wednesday to end HAMP.

"It has funneled millions of taxpayer dollars to big banks and Fannie Mae while taking struggling homeowners on a wild goose chase as foreclosures increases," DeMint said.

But Democrats would rather see the program fixed than terminated.

"I feel as if Republicans are operating in a parallel universe, completely removed from a housing crisis that brought the economy to its knees, left communities decimated, and eviscerated untold amounts of American wealth," Rep. Maxine Waters of California said in a statement after the vote to end HAMP and NSP, calling the result "a slap in the face to struggling homeowners and recovering communities throughout the this country."

"Today, the Republicans continued their agenda to eliminate jobs at any cost and leave homeowners to fend for themselves against powerful banks," she said. "It's clear that they want to repeal these programs and not replace them with anything meaningful."

Read more: Republicans Seek to Kill Obama's Housing Relief Programs - FoxNews.com

Republicans Seek to Kill Obama's Housing Relief Programs - FoxNews.com

Oil is one of the largest subsidized industry in the US. Every time I fill up my tank, I'm thankful I turned in my Republican card.

Glad to see you turned it in, since your view is limited in scope. Obama continues to blather on about assisting the american public, again without any tangible solution. Blocked all aspects of accessing our own oil and in doing so, encourages to dependency on foreign oil and the fluctuations that come with it. He has made no attempt to take away subsidies as well.

I like Lam's continued attempts at feeding us the news, always republican negative. I agree with the republicans on this one. One more attempt, of many, where Obama uses money we don't have on programs where the american populace should be self sufficiant and resiliant. Essentially, more handouts. What a surprise. It must be a pretty easy job being a liberal democrat. Your opposition takes away programs that give barrels of money away in a lame attempt to buy votes and you can point the finger and call them heartless hate mongers. Doesn't matter about the logic or the waste of programs, just as long as people 'feel good' about helping others, thats what matters I guess. Quite amusing.

Blocked all aspects of accessing our own oil and in doing so, encourages to dependency on foreign oil and the fluctuations that come with it. He has made no attempt to take away subsidies as well.

Obama Blames Oil Companies For Lack Of Drilling
Obama claimed repeatedly that he is not against drilling, then made the following comments:
There is more we can do, however. For example, right now, the (oil) industry holds leases on tens of millions of acres — both offshore and on land — where they aren’t producing a thing. So I’ve directed the Interior Department to determine just how many of these leases are going undeveloped and report back to me within two weeks so that we can encourage companies to develop the leases they hold and produce American energy. People deserve to know that the energy they depend on is being developed in a timely manner.

I like Lam's continued attempts at feeding us the news, always republican negative.
It's good to have a forum with people who think differently.
In Lam's defense all I see the GOP do is take this take away that and give us nothing in return.

Last edited:
Me....I like to make sure both sides of bullshit is shown. So far both parties have suck a huge amount of balls.

Creepy...

attachment.php

LOL..How long has he been on?
Has he done anything? I am waiting for "change" but see the same.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's more of a celebrity President who loves the TV.
Don't be surprised if he does a reverse Reagan and becomes an actor.

LOL..How long has he been on?
Has he done anything? I am waiting for "change" but see the same.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's more of a celebrity President who loves the TV.
Don't be surprised if he does a reverse Reagan and becomes an actor.

He became president and the first thing he did was start the talk show circuit.

You're undoubtedly correct about him going into entertainment. Hell, that's how he got his current job.

He speaks well.
attachment.php

Glad to see you turned it in, since your view is limited in scope. Obama continues to blather on about assisting the american public, again without any tangible solution. Blocked all aspects of accessing our own oil and in doing so, encourages to dependency on foreign oil and the fluctuations that come with it. He has made no attempt to take away subsidies as well.

I like Lam's continued attempts at feeding us the news, always republican negative. I agree with the republicans on this one. One more attempt, of many, where Obama uses money we don't have on programs where the american populace should be self sufficiant and resiliant. Essentially, more handouts. What a surprise. It must be a pretty easy job being a liberal democrat. Your opposition takes away programs that give barrels of money away in a lame attempt to buy votes and you can point the finger and call them heartless hate mongers. Doesn't matter about the logic or the waste of programs, just as long as people 'feel good' about helping others, thats what matters I guess. Quite amusing.

unless you work in the mortgage industry or have tried to work with a bank recently regarding a home loan modification then you wouldn't understand. it has to do with the banks not lending or willing to help troubled home owners because it simply isn't in their best financial interests.

it also has to do with the complete lack of any real world solutions coming from the GOP in all of these matters. these monies instead of being available to homeowners will be given away to corporations for more tax breaks that they don't need.

IML Gear Cream!
democrats = handouts

republicans = handups

how is a hand out to a corporation any different to that of a person when the supreme court recognizes corporations as individuals?

and please explain why the indexes at the NYSE have consistently increased in the past 40 years and yet payroll just about all non-farm markets have remained stagnant with the exception of the finance industry?

NYSE Composite Index Historical Graph

unless you work in the mortgage industry or have tried to work with a bank recently regarding a home loan modification then you wouldn't understand. it has to do with the banks not lending or willing to help troubled home owners because it simply isn't in their best financial interests.

it also has to do with the complete lack of any real world solutions coming from the GOP in all of these matters. these monies instead of being available to homeowners will be given away to corporations for more tax breaks that they don't need.

Read the original thread again, your doing a shell game with your info:

"President Obama's four major initiatives to provide relief to hard-hit homeowners -- including his signature foreclosure prevention effort, the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) -- are on the firing line as Republicans in Congress seek to seize the unused funds from the programs to help reduce the debt.

The Republican-controlled House voted Friday to end the Emergency Homeowners' Relief Program, which seeks to help unemployed or sick homeowners. That program was created in 1975 but has never received funding until last year's Wall Street overhaul bill set aside $1 billion for it. It is set to start accepting applications later this year.

On Thursday, the House voted to terminate the Federal Housing Administration's Refinance Program, which is aimed at helping borrowers who owe more than their homes are worth. That program, authorized under the Troubled Asset Relief Program, has only used $50 million of the more than $8 billion allocated for it since it launched in September.

Next week, the House is expected to vote on eliminating the $46 billion HAMP and the $7 billion Neighborhood Stabilization Program, which provides money to local governments and groups to fix up homes and communities devastated by foreclosure."
--------------------
The GOP vision is to cut back on the spending, including the handouts accociated with this thread. That is their real world solution. Obama wants to do the usual - throw more money at issues that derive from people not self-reliant and the fortitude to stand on their own 2 feet. More bandaid programs that does nothing longterm, pulling from a government account long ago bankrupt.

Foreclosure prevention? Pay your bills. Homeowners relief program? Get a job, you've had 2 years sucking off the governments tit already. Upside down in your loan? Poor baby, you made a poor choice on the home/area you bought - it's called life and the taxpayer isn't there to wipe your ass. Neighborhood stabilization program? Are you kidding me? That bozo wants to funnel money into foreclosed homes? That is what the private sector is for.

I'll say again, this is nothing but a class warfare game. Give the goodies to the people that have their hands out when they should be adults and big boys and girls. There are hardships - it's called LIFE. The right thing isn't to bail out corporations OR citizens from money we don't have, it's to make the appropriate and unpopular cuts to get this country back on track.

I guess some of you want the government to be the all-encompasing nanny for everything in your life. There are already plenty of countries out there with that philosophy, sans freedom of speach. The way things look, you'll have your way sooner or later.

Then what's the problem? If the money wasn't going to be sued like was supposed to be in the first place, why not go ahead and use it to pay down our debt?

Read the original thread again, your doing a shell game with your info:

"President Obama's four major initiatives to provide relief to hard-hit homeowners -- including his signature foreclosure prevention effort, the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) -- are on the firing line as Republicans in Congress seek to seize the unused funds from the programs to help reduce the debt.

Next week, the House is expected to vote on eliminating the $46 billion HAMP and the $7 billion Neighborhood Stabilization Program, which provides money to local governments and groups to fix up homes and communities devastated by foreclosure."
--------------------
The GOP vision is to cut back on the spending, including the handouts accociated with this thread. That is their real world solution. Obama wants to do the usual - throw more money at issues that derive from people not self-reliant and the fortitude to stand on their own 2 feet. More bandaid programs that does nothing longterm, pulling from a government account long ago bankrupt.

Foreclosure prevention? Pay your bills. Homeowners relief program? Get a job, you've had 2 years sucking off the governments tit already. Upside down in your loan? Poor baby, you made a poor choice on the home/area you bought - it's called life and the taxpayer isn't there to wipe your ass. Neighborhood stabilization program? Are you kidding me? That bozo wants to funnel money into foreclosed homes? That is what the private sector is for.

I'll say again, this is nothing but a class warfare game. Give the goodies to the people that have their hands out when they should be adults and big boys and girls. There are hardships - it's called LIFE. The right thing isn't to bail out corporations OR citizens from money we don't have, it's to make the appropriate and unpopular cuts to get this country back on track.

I guess some of you want the government to be the all-encompasing nanny for everything in your life. There are already plenty of countries out there with that philosophy, sans freedom of speach. The way things look, you'll have your way sooner or later.

ah yea...why is that every GOP solution comes at the price of the working class. half of the economic mess is directly caused by Wall Street but they haven't been asked to sacrifice a single thing.

and those funds will be shifted to other programs, just like always. they are never used to pay down the deficit, hence the current problem.

ah yea...why is that every GOP solution comes at the price of the working class. half of the economic mess is directly caused by Wall Street but they haven't been asked to sacrifice a single thing.

and those funds will be shifted to other programs, just like always. they are never used to pay down the deficit, hence the current problem.

Yea, more of the poor man vs. rich man tactic. The solution is to stop all the handouts / cut spending, period. Why has Obama not asked wallstreet to sacrifice? You keep throwing the GOP under the bus, but you never ask the same question from the mesiah. Why does Obama want to keep giving money out that we DON'T HAVE regardless if it's wallstreet or 'the working class' or the 'unemployed class' (that wants more handouts)?

once again...when do the corporate hand outs stop if they stop for the working class? when do all the tax breaks end for billion dollar companies?

and why hasn't employee pay increased in US company's while profits have been so for decades?

Yea, more of the poor man vs. rich man tactic. The solution is to stop all the handouts / cut spending, period. Why has Obama not asked wallstreet to sacrifice? You keep throwing the GOP under the bus, but you never ask the same question from the mesiah. Why does Obama want to keep giving money out that we DON'T HAVE regardless if it's wallstreet or 'the working class' or the 'unemployed class' (that wants more handouts)?

your concept of rich vs poor is distorted. if you can't buy a car or house with a check you are poor..

Back