• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Strong man comps(amateur)

suprfast

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Does anyone know where I can find a listing or if anyone knows of any CA strongmen competitions. I want them to be as novice as possible I guess as I've never competed. Could be a charity event coming up, or a super novice event held at a small city.

Thanks,
Kris

Upcoming Contests

The silver events are the aforementioned baby steps you'd want to take a look at. However, you will notice all events are somewhat different in most to all contests.

Decide on a contest, create some cheap implements and train events once a week.

How are you training for this?
Also, looking at your stats, especially on deadlifts and the atlas stones (you'll need some form of stone technique since most SM contests include a form of these) and you'll need to bring most of your numbers if not all of them up.

Good luck!

Not directly helpful but anybody from the UK looking for strongman comps go check:

Powerlifting - Strongman - Sugden Barbell

Huge competition listing on there that gets updated really regularly.

To contribute, whats your competition prep looking like right now? Totally agree with Juggernaut on having a weekly events day. It's helping me along tonnes.

It's absolutely nothing right now. Id like to find something 6 months out and start training for that. I'm not looking to be number 1 just to have fun.

Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

Good thinking on all sides.

Sorry about the lack of clarification. As far as the nothing statement, I meant nothing like you described for strongman. I don't have atlas balls or anything of the sort, unless you count my big blue balls. I am still a loyal BGB follower. I haven't been lifting as heavy as I should but I also never focus on single rep motions. When I do deadlift of 405 its for 5 reps. I know I need to increase those numbers but it goes hand in hand with wanting a goal.

The bug that bit me was a friend asking if I want to run bay 2 breakers with him, then train for a half marathon. It really gave me a goal and what I need to accomplish. I want to take that same attitude and dedication and put it to a strong man event. Something to lose my virginity to.

Take a look at Blue Collar Training for SM. Might be a good kick in the ass for you. I'd suggest strongly, that you begin saving some money for Atlas stones and possibly create a cheap yoke. I have one at home that I've put through the rigors at 750lbs and didnt buckle.
Atlas stones can be made cheaply, but you're better off buying them because it saves you from being messy. I have a 140lb, a 220 and a 280. I work it in a Westside sort of fashion. Might also be smart to buy sleeves for your forearms-they will get torn up.
Consider getting a full keg as well for throwing and the like. Drink and have a party, but do keep the keg for the work.

Keep it all in your yard or garage.

Suprfast, I know alot of gys who compete in cali, PM and I can get you in touch with someone there Im pretty sure.

ST

IML Gear Cream!
It's absolutely nothing right now. Id like to find something 6 months out and start training for that. I'm not looking to be number 1 just to have fun.

Thats gonna be tough. Most small events are annonced 2-3 months in advance, so keep checking the north american strongman site.

Things to work on

Most important:
Overhead Press!!!
Deadlift!!
Carrying heavy shit!
Grip strength!

Just find a silver show in your area and sign up. Even if your the srtognest guy there, the odds are against you with no experience. There's a LLLLLOOOOOOOTTTT to learn. I would compete as you get better.

Also find a local forum. Just google or yahoo search "strongman forums." Since your in CA, I'm sure you'll have an easy time finding something.

Not getting hurt is definitely fun. Good luck to you.

Likewise, I've trained for it... Then got married so that took back burner for a bit... But its a 2012 goal now:)

cant you find some heavy stones in the woods near a river or something and lift them as part of the training? how about some thick ass oak chunks? a friend and i were tossin and liftin them oak chunks around when we fell some trees and it was a awesome workout. some were so big i could barely lift them and yeah it chewed up my arms, legs and chest bad so wear loose fit jeans for sure. just an idea if it helps when you dont have much extra cash for stones and such.

Back