• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Long spine = belt ?

Ark94

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey everyone, i'm back again. I took an entire week, may even be more off from the gym because my back went into a very severe spasm last Friday. I couldn't move on friday, but its gotten a lot better. This is sorta what happened to me: http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/112593-wtf-could-somebody-explain.html
^^ Guess it happens to a lot of people.

I had seen a sports chiropractor, and he spent few hours with me twice last week to help me back. In the hours we went over a lot of stuff, but one thing he wanted to emphasize for me was a belt.

I am 6t or 6'1, and he says my spine is EXTREMELY long compared to a lot of his other patients, or other people he has seen before. Pretty sure most tall people have long spines, but can't say for sure.

He said to have a belt for when i'm in the gym, if i'm squatting, deadlifting, or whatever else that it would seem smart to use a belt for.

I have read through:
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/122276-belt-squats-deads.html

Marat makes some very good points, and agree with a lot of what he says. I don't to weight that i cannot tolerate, i always play it safe. But now that my back is in a fragile state, once i get back into squats and deadlifts (won't be for another week or 2), i am debating on whether to use a belt or not.

I'm not going to neglect core tho, i will still work my core etc like it is in my routine.

Main reason i am asking this is because my genetics seem to be with a fragile back, Everyone i know in my relatives, my dad, my mom, they all have had back problems. For some reason our backs are very tender and easy to get injured.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, if a belt is the way to go, what belt?

Routinely using a belt will just make your back weaker over time. I'd do some work to strengthen the erectors and core. Like, oh, I dunno, deadlifts? Reverse hypers and good mornings, too.

Just a thought. I'm not a chiropractor. Is he a lifter?

No he's not a chiropractor. Thats why I came here to ask, little bit skeptical but his reasons sounded legit.

I'm all for doing extra assistance work rather than use a "crutch".

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, i'm back again. I took an entire week, may even be more off from the gym because my back went into a very severe spasm last Friday. I couldn't move on friday, but its gotten a lot better. This is sorta what happened to me: http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/112593-wtf-could-somebody-explain.html
^^ Guess it happens to a lot of people.

I had seen a sports chiropractor, and he spent few hours with me twice last week to help me back. In the hours we went over a lot of stuff, but one thing he wanted to emphasize for me was a belt.

I am 6t or 6'1, and he says my spine is EXTREMELY long compared to a lot of his other patients, or other people he has seen before. Pretty sure most tall people have long spines, but can't say for sure.

He said to have a belt for when i'm in the gym, if i'm squatting, deadlifting, or whatever else that it would seem smart to use a belt for.

I have read through:
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/training/122276-belt-squats-deads.html

Marat makes some very good points, and agree with a lot of what he says. I don't to weight that i cannot tolerate, i always play it safe. But now that my back is in a fragile state, once i get back into squats and deadlifts (won't be for another week or 2), i am debating on whether to use a belt or not.

I'm not going to neglect core tho, i will still work my core etc like it is in my routine.

Main reason i am asking this is because my genetics seem to be with a fragile back, Everyone i know in my relatives, my dad, my mom, they all have had back problems. For some reason our backs are very tender and easy to get injured.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, if a belt is the way to go, what belt?
I would not go with a belt because over time all it is going to do is completely de-train your inner unit. You should spend the next three weeks devoting you workouts mainly to stability work of your core. Develop some tVA (transverse abdominis) coordination, and than when you have stability, you should go back into prime mover lifts. If you really thinks you have "genetic" back problems than go see someone who is qualified to give you an assesment to determine muscle lengths and imbalances especially between you hip flexors and back extensors. Also i would have someone who knows what they are doing check your form on you Deads nowadays it is rare to see someone in a commercial gym who knows how to deadlift with proper form. Best of luck.

Routinely using a belt will just make your back weaker over time. I'd do some work to strengthen the erectors and core. Like, oh, I dunno, deadlifts? Reverse hypers and good mornings, too.

I agree 100%. I never use a belt, if I can't keep good form than I don't lift it. I am no power lifter, but I do pull 465 with good form and no belt. I think starting out doing reps to strengthen the lower back helps. I also make sure I am good and warmed up before pulling anything to heavy. I guess the whole belt or no belt subject can be beaten to death. This is just my opinion.

Appreciate the responses, so i did some research, and modified my old routine that Built had given me. Taken into account everything people have told me, and attempted to structure a workout for the next month.

Here is what i have come up with:

Training routine for Back Injury
- General focus: abdominals, hamstring/calve tightness

Monday
??? Warmup - Normal mobility drills
??? Bulgarian Split Squats
??? Inc. Bench Press
??? Pullups (close grip) - weighted
??? Inc. DB Press
??? Curls
??? 3 Super Sets (Inc. DB Curls w/ Close Grip Pulldowns)
??? Plank (on ground) (TVA)
??? Side Plank (on ground)
??? Hurdles Stretch
??? Calf Stretch

Wednesday
??? DB Lunges
??? Inc. Bench Press
??? Chinups (close grip) - weighted
??? Dips - weighted
??? Stability Ball Roll ins
??? Back Extensions (TVA)
??? Standing Hamstring Stretch

Friday
??? DB Rows (if no pain)
??? DB Shoulder Press (seated)
??? Arnold Presses
??? Lateral Raises
??? Plank (on swiss ball)
??? TVA Pull Ins
??? Butt and Hamstring Stretch
??? Calf Stretch

** Cardio will be done on workout days. Mainly stair stepper to help with the hamstring/calf part, if that makes sense :)

Any suggestions on that outline? Not too much on the abs or stretches is it?

Add McKenzie Press Ups at the beginning and middle of workout as well.

This advice is spot on. Only use a belt on your power movements..3 reps MAX, or your 2rm or 1rm.

this and it hinders some other parts of muscles as well.

Back