• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

No link between mercury in fish and heart disease found in study

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
No link between mercury in fish and heart disease found in study A new study examines the effect of mercury exposure via fish consumption Eat fish. And don???t stress — overly much — about the potential effect of its mercury level on your risk of cardiovascular disease. That ultimately might be the lesson from a [...]

Read More...

i wouldnt put much clout into any study done about something from the big corporations . its all about the money and they will bias anything to get you to do what they want .
go see "INFOWARS.COM". let common sense be your guide and educate yourselves along the way and i am not talking main stream propaganda.

I'm not buying it as well. I live along the Lake Roosevel / Columbia River. We know there is a ton of mercury in the waters, mainly due to a company in Canada dumping sludge into the waters during WWII. Regardless, we looked a doing a Superfund cleanup of the site. Apparently the negative press would do more harm than good and it was listed as a safe area...

We are simply asked not to eat anymore than 2 fish out of there a week. hmmmmmmm.........

It's safe as long as you don't eat or use it, lol. A similar, corporate-sponsored study was cited during that trial.

Mercury Exposure and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease in Two U.S. Cohorts

Dariush Mozaffarian, M.D., Dr.P.H., Peilin Shi, Ph.D., J. Steven Morris, Ph.D., Donna Spiegelman, Sc.D., Philippe Grandjean, M.D., David S. Siscovick, M.D., M.P.H., Walter C. Willett, M.D., Dr.P.H., and Eric B. Rimm, Sc.D.
N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1116-1125March 24, 2011

Background

Exposure to methylmercury from fish consumption has been linked to a potentially increased risk of cardiovascular disease, but evidence from prior studies is equivocal. Beneficial effects of the ingestion of fish and selenium may also modify such effects.

Methods

Among subjects from two U.S. cohorts (a total of 51,529 men and 121,700 women) whose toenail clippings had been stored, we prospectively identified incident cases of cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease and stroke) in 3427 participants and matched them to risk-set???sampled controls according to age, sex, race, and smoking status. Toenail mercury and selenium concentrations were assessed with the use of neutron-activation analysis. Other demographic characteristics, cardiovascular risk factors, fish consumption, and lifestyle habits were assessed by means of validated questionnaires. Associations between mercury exposure and incident cardiovascular disease were evaluated with the use of conditional logistic regression.

Results

Median toenail mercury concentrations were 0.23 μg per gram (interdecile range, 0.06 to 0.94) in the case participants and 0.25 μg per gram (interdecile range, 0.07 to 0.97) in the controls. In multivariate analyses, participants with higher mercury exposures did not have a higher risk of cardiovascular disease. For comparisons of the fifth quintile of mercury exposure with the first quintile, the relative risks were as follows: coronary heart disease, 0.85 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.69 to 1.04; P=0.10 for trend); stroke, 0.84 (95% CI, 0.62 to 1.14; P=0.27 for trend); and total cardiovascular disease, 0.85 (95% CI, 0.72 to 1.01; P=0.06 for trend). Findings were similar in analyses of participants with low selenium concentrations or low overall fish consumption and in several additional sensitivity analyses.

Conclusions

We found no evidence of any clinically relevant adverse effects of mercury exposure on coronary heart disease, stroke, or total cardiovascular disease in U.S. adults at the exposure levels seen in this study. (Funded by the National Institutes of Health.)

I'd personally be more intersted in mercury exposure/intake and it's relationship to mercury. It must be pretty hard to link cause and effect with so many other variables to consider.

Good to know I won't die of a heart attack eating the local fish though.

Back