• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Nutrition help/advice

N_I_C_K

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So I am bulking right? I'm 17 years old, 5'10", and weigh 185 pounds. If I am on a 300 calorie a day surplus to bulk am I getting enough or too much of the following:
Protein: 240g
Carbs: 200g
Fat: 140g

I honestly have no idea how much of any of these to have so anything you can say to help me adjust this (if necessary) would be great.

Your Marcos
Protein 32%
Carbs26%
Fat42%

Protein is low
Fat is high
carbs are low

P 44% C 44% F 12%

Protein 332 grams Protein Calories 1328
Carbs 332 grams Carb calories 1328
Fat 3 grams EFA a day EFA fats 27
Fats Other 24 G Fats calories 362
total calories 3045

YMMV Also this is just a guideline not a strict science

Your Marcos
Protein 32%
Carbs26%
Fat42%

Protein is low
Fat is high
carbs are low

P 44% C 44% F 12%

Protein 332 grams Protein Calories 1328
Carbs 332 grams Carb calories 1328
Fat 3 grams EFA a day EFA fats 27
Fats Other 24 G Fats calories 362
total calories 3045

YMMV Also this is just a guideline not a strict science

Jag uses a different set of guidelines I guess.

So I am bulking right? I'm 17 years old, 5'10", and weigh 185 pounds. If I am on a 300 calorie a day surplus to bulk am I getting enough or too much of the following:
Protein: 240g
Carbs: 200g
Fat: 140g

I honestly have no idea how much of any of these to have so anything you can say to help me adjust this (if necessary) would be great.

The usual guidelines for macronutrient intake is protein > 1g/lb lean mass, fat >0.5g/lb lean mass and maintenance at about 15 x your bodyweight.

You probably have more than 170 lbs lean mass, so at 240g your protein is actually perfect, right about 1.5g/lb. Fats are nice and high (I like to see fats up high), and since there is no guideline for carb intake, your carbohydrate intake is sufficient - but can afford to go up to support your gains if you need to increase your intake.

You may need to bring your calories up - you're getting in just over 3000 calories on that diet, which can't be much higher than your current maintenance (by your estimation, you're over by 300 calories a day). Try it and see; if you stall out, bring up the carb calories before you raise anything else. Don't worry about the percentages of your macronutrients - you were right to focus on the grams, and you're on the right track with what you've got set up. Nice work. :thumb:

How's your training?

Jag uses a different set of guidelines I guess.

The usual guidelines for macronutrient intake is protein > 1g/lb lean mass, fat >0.5g/lb lean mass and maintenance at about 15 x your bodyweight.

You probably have more than 170 lbs lean mass, so at 240g your protein is actually perfect, right about 1.5g/lb. Fats are nice and high (I like to see fats up high), and since there is no guideline for carb intake, your carbohydrate intake is sufficient - but can afford to go up to support your gains if you need to increase your intake.

You may need to bring your calories up - you're getting in just over 3000 calories on that diet, which can't be much higher than your current maintenance (by your estimation, you're over by 300 calories a day). Try it and see; if you stall out, bring up the carb calories before you raise anything else. Don't worry about the percentages of your macronutrients - you were right to focus on the grams, and you're on the right track with what you've got set up. Nice work. :thumb:

How's your training?

Thank you very much! I'll try to increase my carb calories and see if that helps.

I'd like to think that my training is pretty good. I don't know how it looks on paper but I think its fine. I've never really made a program that I've posted on here that didn't seem to need a lot of improvement so I can't be a great judge for you. But I have made considerable gains in about a months time. I have gone up in weight by a pretty good amount in every lift and my bench has gone up 25 pounds in a single month so I'd like to think that's good. I have a three day routine going on now.
Day 1 - Upper body 'push'
Day 2 - Upper body 'pull'
Day 3 - All lower body
I can go more in depth if you'd like me to do so.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You got deadlifts and free barbell squats in there? Weighted chins? Powercleans? And have you been gaining weight along with your gains?

As an aside, it is so refreshing to see someone so young come in with such a great attitude! You're doing everything right, asking good questions, doing your homework... really, you make it easy for us to help. No wonder your lifts are going up. :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You got deadlifts and free barbell squats in there? Weighted chins? Powercleans? And have you been gaining weight along with your gains?

As an aside, it is so refreshing to see someone so young come in with such a great attitude! You're doing everything right, asking good questions, doing your homework... really, you make it easy for us to help. No wonder your lifts are going up. :)

I've got the deadlifts and squats in there. I don't do weighted chins though, should I add those in there? Powercleans vary depending on how fatigued I already am from previous lifts, but for the most part yes. I've put on about five pounds or so since I've started lifting again, yes.

I really enjoy lifting and learning about nutrition and dieting and such so its hard not to have a positive attitude! Plus all the benefits that comes with that making it even better. Good though, because I appreciate the help. A lot of people here (such as yourself) know what they are talking about and have experience to prove it, so there is no better place to go than here for all my lifting/diet questions and homework. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Some weighted chins will do your body good. Powercleans should be done first on the days you do them.

You're gaining weight and you're getting stronger. You stop gaining weight, you know what to do. :)

Should powercleans be done on legs days or what? I know my high school football's weight lifting programs has cleans in on the same day as legs but I think I've heard some people say they do them on shoulder days? Not positive though.

I do 'em with shoulders, and sometimes toss in a few sets of squats and or chins - depending on my setup, diet and training volume. I wrote this up for using cleans with a shoulder workout; you can take a gander at it and see if any of this might suit you now, or perhaps later on down the road. Got Built? » The Shoulders of Giants

I like to have a few workouts to choose from - I tend to navigate amongst my four-day split (baby got back on my blog), the full-body in the homework 1 link in my sig, and a kind of a hybrid of the two - deads, chest/tris and back on one day, squats, shoulders and lats on the other.

Lots of great ways to train out there. You seem like you know this already. :)

IML Gear Cream!
Alright, thank you for everything, Built. I appreciate the help.

I read this post yesterday but I read your that article you posted, all your sig, and a ton of random articles on here that. I got too busy and forgot to post back haha. They all helped a lot, thank you.

Alright, thank you for everything, Built. I appreciate the help.

I read this post yesterday but I read your that article you posted, all your sig, and a ton of random articles on here that. I got too busy and forgot to post back haha. They all helped a lot, thank you.
Built is good when it comes to giving solid advice to members. However, I would opt for a difference exerise than cleans.

Thanks OutWhey. You don't like cleans? Really?

Back