• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

ketogenic diet

Thorus

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi ,

I´m looking for athletes who tried the ketogenic diet !!

my questions:

1. is it possible to keep good form year round without muscleloss ?

2. did anybody gained muscles during this diet?

Tell me your experience and your opinions, please!

Greets,
Thorus

I experienced good results while I did it, kept hard and still gained some muscle and strenghth. Now I do more of a modified version in which the only carb meals I take in are breakfast, before, and after training. My other 3 meals contain protein, green veggies, and essential fats.

It all comes down to your goals and how your body responds chemically to carbs.

Ketogenic diet helped me lose fat a few times. I think they are great when done correctly. I used the bodyopus one that Dan Duchaine wrote about, it has you carb up on weekends to help prevent muscle loss, after the weekend carb up it almost looked like I gained some muscle because the muscles swell with all the carbs sucked into them.

As Msfit said it also depends on your body. Some people can't go without carbs for very long. if your goals are bulking, you won't gain much while dieting.

I would say it's safe to stay in a ketogenic diet for a year.

Good luck to you.

I had some good results losing fat on a ketogenic diet also. I too used the weekends for carbing up (that is the best part of the diet). However with the fat loss I did experience some muscle loss, more so than when I just diet down and still eat some carbs. I try and keep my carbs as high as possible while still losing fat. Keeping the carbs up usually means I keep more muscle. If you have never tried a ketogenic diet you should definetly do it. I would do it again but only when I need to drop a little bit of fat to get super shredded. I can only stay on the diet for about three or four weeks though, any more than that and I start to freak out. I don't think it would be bad to do it year round. If you can do that you're a better man than I. good luck

PF did you eat carbs the entire weekend or only certain meals? I'm doing low carb/mod fat/high prot and am using 2 meals/week for "carb ups" but for me they are free meals. Other than that daily I have 1/2c of oatmeal at my first meal.

I think I'm rambling so I'll stop..lol

PF did you eat carbs the entire weekend or only certain meals? I'm doing low carb/mod fat/high prot and am using 2 meals/week for "carb ups" but for me they are free meals. Other than that daily I have 1/2c of oatmeal at my first meal.

On the weekends I really pounded down the carbs, I didn't even count calrories. I would eat carbs at every meal and all day Sat. and Sun., and I wouldn't keep it to clean carbs either, I would eat tons of candy/sugar and pasta. I weighed in every friday morning on an empty stomach and I was consistenly losing about 0.5-1lb. But by friday I would look really flat and I felt like I was losing muscle because my lifts were going down. Right now I am just doing mod. Carbs/mod. fat/high Protien. I feel like it is working a lot better. I eat as much carbs as I need while still losing weight and my muscles are way harder and more full (I adjust the carbs on a weekly basis if I feel they need it). And I take a cheat meal on Saturday or Sunday.

How is the diet going for you though? I think you could make your carb ups longer. Instead of having just one meal why don't you try giving yourself a time window. For exaple say you carb up this Saturday allow yourself to eat carbs from 12noon-6pm. Eat as many carbs as you want with in that 6 hour window.

look now I'm rambeling. lol

I do not buy the ketogenic diet. I tried one time I was dizzy. The diet I am doing now is protein 50%, carb 30% and the rest good fat 20%. Carbs in the morning and afternoon not later than 6 or 7 pm. and I am loosing fat. A lot of veggies every meal. Night is salad ,protein and meat or chicken or turkey. No sugar cause of insulin:cool:

Thanks P! This is my first week back on it and I've done very well! I feel so much better and although it makes no sense I feel leaner already! Stupid I think but I feel great nonetheless!

I had planned to have two cheat meals a week. I had one on Wed night and yesterday did a six hour window as you mentioned and I actually think I ate less than I would have normally eaten when I long ago did one cheat day/week. Probably because I knew that I didnt have to get in all in at once and felt more satisfied! Who knows...lol

I will have to see how it affects the scale on Tuesdays weigh in but I'm guessing it will not matter much but rather assist :D

I do not buy the ketogenic diet. I tried one time I was dizzy.

The diet you are on now sounds good and it is a plus if it is working for you but how do you not "buy the ketogenic diet"?
I agree with you in that I don't feel it is the best way to diet, for me at least. But I definetly know that it works.
How long did you try the diet for? (I also used to get hedaches and sometimes a little dizzy, probably due to lack of sugar in the blood. )

The ketogenic diet is alright pls do not get me wrong. If you do a lot of weight lifting and you want to add some meat and shredded my body fat is 12% then a little bit of carbs so that to be able to lift like mother f.
peace and goold luck

IML Gear Cream!
Unless your a newb it will be difficult adding LBM on a low carb diet. Weight training is a glycolytic activity, meaning it uses glycogen as fuel. You get glycogen from carbs and without them you burn yourself out pretty quickly.

The dizziness you experienced is most likely due to the 'transition period.' When you first start on a low carb diet there is an uncomfortable period where you lack mental ability, dizziness, headaches, lethargy and all that good stuff. After about a week of so, the symptoms should go as your body gets more adjusted to going into and staying in ketosis. Some people actually experience energy boosts and say they feel better, however an athlete, especially some who uses resistance exercises needs carbs to optimally train.

I tried a CKD then i tried a lower carb (50-100g/day) diet and didn't see any differences. I still incorporated re-feeds, which acted like a psychological break from dieting and boosted leptin etc. I also had more energy to train when increasing carbs.

Thanks for the human physical body elaborations. I applause you for breaking down the human elements. Lets continue to stay healthy and looking for the best way get our body in shape either for personal reasons or for the summer time. I will continue to emphasize that little bit of carbs is the best way of getting things done. I have done all the experiment and it continues to be working well. let me give myself a name for the experiment lowcarbogenic and high proteingenic system .
:thumb:

:) Hi,
I am not as experianced as guys like Yan and others, as I have learned so much from them and still learning. When I came to this forum I was looking for a good diet, at that time I was eating quite alot of carbs and started having some stomach problems cause of all the carbs.
Since than I have experianmented alot. Now I am trying the anabolic diet (you can read about it in my journal). The High protien/mod fat/low carb diet was good, but the two carb ups and so much protein actually made me gain BF%, and the switch from fat burning to glucose was to much for my body (made me sick). Now (I slipped last week), but since than I am only having c10G carbs (veggies), reduce my ratio of protein (so its not turned as sugar) and increase the fat 60%.
I feel great, have amazing strength and energy.
Anabolic diet suggests to carb-up every weekend (eat whatever you want, not going over 16g of carbs per lean bw in kg).
It seems to be working for me, this week, I will keep on posting in my journal further info on how its going.
Best of luck with your goals

Hi QoS! I'm doing that too but my daily carbs are around 30-35g/day. I just have 1/3c of oatmeal with breakfast. My totals for each day are 50%P/40%F/10%C (including fiber) they stay in that range each day only varying slightly.

I feel pretty good...this is my second week now. I am switching my carb ups to the weekends as suggested by someone here to me and will see how that works out.

Good luck and I'll definitely keep an eye on your journal! I've enjoyed the articles you posted!

I've found that I actually have more energy on a low carb diet. Actually a better way to say that might be that I feel less tired. (I have energy problems)

Back