• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Obsessions: Jason Bateman is having a moment ... finally

Curt James

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Obsessions: Jason Bateman is having a moment ... finally

By Stephanie Goldberg, CNN
UPDATED: 10:34 AM EDT 07.08.11

"I forgot Jason Bateman was in that movie" seems to be the most common reaction to the veteran actor's stacked resume, but that's about to change.

For a long time, the actor -- who's been steadily working since he started out as "Little House on the Prairie's" James Cooper Ingalls in 1981 -- seemed to fade into the background.

But with "Horrible Bosses" opening Friday, and "The Change-Up," co-starring Ryan Reynolds, hitting theaters on August 5, the 42-year-old's ability to carry a major motion picture is finally being recognized by the industry.

Hilarious cameos in "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" and "Starsky & Hutch," and supporting roles in "Juno" and "Up in the Air," have all contributed to Bateman's recent popularity. Though he chalks headlining two summer blockbusters up to his work on "Arrested Development."

"The show was a career saver for me," he told Entertainment Weekly in May. "And also happened to be the job I'm most proud of."

In a way, Bateman's career has mimicked the same slow road to success as the Fox sitcom, which gained critical acclaim and a devoted fan base despite being canceled after three seasons. The ratings didn't reflect the talent -- at first.

"In TV, you have someone in your living room every week," said casting director Tammara Billik, who's worked on "Married with Children" and "Unhappily Ever After." "They become your friend. TV actors make successful transitions to movie actors because we already feel like we know them -- especially someone like Jason Bateman who grew up in front of our eyes."

Bateman's character on "Arrested Development," Michael Bluth, allowed the actor to showcase his knack for playing the straight man, which, in Hollywood, refers to a reasonable character who plays off the comics -- the eccentric Bluth family in the case of "Arrested Development."And it's a good role to master because, as Billik says, the everyman can be challenging to cast.

"It's hard to find guys in (Bateman's) age range who are well-known enough so you feel comfortable casting them as leads in movies, but who aren't stars," Billik said.

"He's lovable and people root for him," she added. "He's not a great-looking guy, but he's pleasant to look at. Women adore his sweet side, and guys don't find him threatening. He's the guy they could have a beer with."

Some industry watchdogs compared Bateman's likeability to that of Tom Hanks, or a less-zany Chevy Chase.

Billik said casting him alongside Jennifer Aniston in last summer's "The Switch" was "nice casting" for that reason. However, the film fell short at the box office, taking in only $8.4 million its opening weekend. But, like with his other flops -- "Extract" and "Couples Retreat" -- Bateman can't be held solely responsible.

He's such a pro that he sort of fades into the background, "like a piece of furniture in a film," said Marlow Stern, the assistant culture editor of Newsweek/The Daily Beast. "I think he really likes being a piece of an ensemble as opposed to an A-lister. He's very collaborative."

Sara Vilkomerson, a senior writer at Entertainment Weekly, agrees: "(Bateman) is one of those actors that works well with others. ... He's one of those people that's not a flashy performer. He's quiet and subtly really funny."But that subtleness, Vilkomerson added, is what's so great about him. Take his performance in the 2008 Will Smith-starrer "Hancock": "He turned in this really good performance and people ... realized they were taking him for granted. ... He's easy to overlook until he's in a leading man spot."

From CNN.com

I always liked him. His sister played Mallory on Family Ties. I remember him doing sitcoms back in the 80's. He's a funny dude, i liked him in The Island also.

Gotta admit-I'm a fan. Arrested Development was inspired comedy. Much funnier than Chevy Chase (I always preferred Bill Murray). Good to see him getting some well-deserved credit.

Jason Bateman is a great actor. I enjoy his work. My favorite film with him is "Necessary Roughness".

I was unaware that people weren't aware of him. He was in Juno as the kind-of-pedo guy, then the accountant in Mr. Margorium along side Natalie Portman and the brother in the Sweetest Thing and also with Will Smith as Hancock's agent.

But most notably he was Michael Bluth in Arrested Development....

I always liked him. His sister played Mallory on Family Ties. I remember him doing sitcoms back in the 80's. He's a funny dude, i liked him in The Island also.
Might you be thinking of Ewan McGreggor? Jason wasn't in The Island.

I like every movie he is in, he is what he is and never makes it feel fake.

YouTube Video

He was in "The Island"? Can't find him in the cast listing on IMDb.

Do you have him confused with Ewan McGregor?

YouTube Video

I was unaware that people weren't aware of him. He was in Juno as the kind-of-pedo guy,
YouTube Video

then the accountant in Mr. Margorium along side Natalie Portman and the brother in the Sweetest Thing
YouTube Video

YouTube Video

and also with Will Smith as Hancock's agent.
It's been three years since "Hancock" was released. I really wish they had done a sequel to this. :(
YouTube Video

But most notably he was Michael Bluth in Arrested Development....
YouTube Video

IML Gear Cream!
Might you be thinking of Ewan McGreggor? Jason wasn't in The Island.

I like every movie he is in, he is what he is and never makes it feel fake.

D'OH! Guess I should have read the entire thread before commenting. Agreed there!

And also agreed on your Jason Bateman assessment. :thumbs:

Here's a trailer for "The Switch":
YouTube Video

"Oh, my God. I have that!"

:roflmao:

I didn't want to admit it, but he was hilarious in The Switch.. its very chicky of a flick tho!

I would have definately seen Hancock 2 if they had made one. WAIT A SEC.. OMG.. CAN IT BE?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1498780/

Last edited:
I didn't want to admit it, but he was hilarious in The Switch.. its very chicky of a flick tho!

I would have definately seen Hancock 2 if they had made one. WAIT A SEC.. OMG.. CAN IT BE?!

Hancock 2 (2013) - IMDb

I hope so! lol The first one was great.

Hancock 2 Writers Hired!

By Allan Ford | August 25, 2009 | Movie News

Columbia Pictures has hired screenwriters Adam Fierro and Glen Mazzara to pen Hancock 2 just a week after director Peter Berg hinted of some ideas for Will Smith superhero movie that grossed $624.4 million worldwide last year.

hancock2.jpg

According to THR, the original producing team is expected to return. Story details are being kept under wraps, though the writers will work with Smith and Berg to build on the world hinted at in the first movie.

Fierro and Mazzara worked together on cable hit “The Shield”. Fierro also worked on “24″ and “Dexter” while Mazzara penned episodes of “Life” and “Crash”.

The original starred Smith as a boozy, irresponsible superhero who undergoes an image makeover by a public relations man. It later is revealed that the hero is part of a line of immortal beings who have been around for more than 3,000 years and begin to lose their powers when in proximity to fellow immortals.

From Hancock 2 Writers Hired! | FilmoFilia

Two years since they hired the writers, but I guess these things take time to get rolling and Will Smith has been in great demand making it difficult to have him available to film at the same time as everyone else? Looks like Bateman's schedule is picking up, too. :bow:

Arrested Development Movie? That'll be cool. Funny as hell.

I hope so! lol The first one was great.

Hancock 2 Writers Hired!

By Allan Ford | August 25, 2009 | Movie News

Columbia Pictures has hired screenwriters Adam Fierro and Glen Mazzara to pen Hancock 2 just a week after director Peter Berg hinted of some ideas for Will Smith superhero movie that grossed $624.4 million worldwide last year.

hancock2.jpg

According to THR, the original producing team is expected to return. Story details are being kept under wraps, though the writers will work with Smith and Berg to build on the world hinted at in the first movie.

Fierro and Mazzara worked together on cable hit ???The Shield???. Fierro also worked on ???24″ and ???Dexter??? while Mazzara penned episodes of ???Life??? and ???Crash???.

The original starred Smith as a boozy, irresponsible superhero who undergoes an image makeover by a public relations man. It later is revealed that the hero is part of a line of immortal beings who have been around for more than 3,000 years and begin to lose their powers when in proximity to fellow immortals.

From Hancock 2 Writers Hired! | FilmoFilia

Two years since they hired the writers, but I guess these things take time to get rolling and Will Smith has been in great demand making it difficult to have him available to film at the same time as everyone else? Looks like Bateman's schedule is picking up, too. :bow:

Yeah my kids have that movie, i liked it. In fact we watched some of it on tv last night. i'd watch part 2.

"Horrible Bosses" is pretty damn funny. On the way out of the theater, one of my friends asked if Bateman did any TV work in the 80's. I had to explain "The Hogan Family"...they had never heard of it. *sigh*

Back