• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

How important are wrist wraps when bench pressing weights?

Don't know. Are they important? I've never tried them. Nor has Mrs.V. Sorry, can't give any feedback on that. But I mostly do dips these days anyway.

Depends. i used to use them more, now just my heavy sets. (Over 405)
At this point its injury insurance. It's very easy to get hurt with big weight. I wouldn't dream of not using them on my 500-550 presses

I never used 'em. I guess they could be important if you have weak wrists...?

I have never used them before. I don't guess I ever had the need.

I don't think they are essential for everyone. However, with me, I found that as the weight increased more stress was put on my wrists and after time, my wrists were always aching. I started using wrist wraps and now the pain is gone. I consider myself to have smaller joints though....

^ +1. Use them only when you need them, like for 1RM or other very heavy sets. For 90% of your sets don't bother because, like overusing belts or straps, you'll eventually get weaker in those areas.

^ +1. Use them only when you need them, like for 1RM or other very heavy sets. For 90% of your sets don't bother because, like overusing belts or straps, you'll eventually get weaker in those areas.

The fellas and I were talking about this very thing at work yesterday (albeit for back day rather than chest.)

The conclusion was the same though, if you use them for every set then you're going to create a weak point which could leave you more susceptible to injury down the road. If you're going to use them, save them for the latter/heavier sets.

i have to use them. i have terrible tendonitis in my right wrist. i've found that wrapping it eliminatel almost all the pain. since it looks stupid having one wrapped, i do both.

IML Gear Cream!
I use them on heavy sets. It's all about injury prevention for me. Been through the tendinitis healing thing too many times. Unless of course you're a tough guy like kelju, then by all means don't use them.

I will use them when I get within 80% of my 1RM.

I find straps crucical for Deadlifting.
I cannot come anywhere close to what I would do without straps.

My problem is I have yet to find a good strap brand product, the ones I have now are velcro, and they usually come undone in the middle of a set!
ARGH! Anybody have any suggestions on good straps!

Sidenote, I do not ever use a belt. I was told that using a belt is bad.

Back