• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

The good, the bad and the ugly on diet drinks

Chrisotpherm

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I would to know everyone's take on the above and backing behind their opinion.
Are they harmful?
Do you drink and if you do what?
Reason why you don't? And so forth.

V/R
Chris

I would to know everyone's take on the above and backing behind their opinion.
Are they harmful?
Do you drink and if you do what?
Reason why you don't? And so forth.

V/R
Chris

Hey bro!
I stopped drinking any sodas the day I started lifting (I drank 2l of soda a day before that and was fat-30% bf). Over time they started to disgust me. That's the main reason I don't drink them.

About diet drinks... If you look at calories, is OK. But the main problem is in artificial sweeteners.
I've also read they cause kidney damage and diabetes in studies.
Especially aspartame. It literally destroys your entire organism. My friend always gets headache after drinking diet coke. Aspartame is feces from bacteria Escherichia coli. Enjoy.

Yes soda is not good for the health. There is no good in sodas i think, only the bad is there in the sodas. I prefer the fresh fruit juices are best alternatives on all other drinks.

Yeah I couldn't agree with you more. I use to drink at least 2L of Diet MTN dew every day until I started taking lifting and my health serious. I won't lie every once in a while I will have one or a energy drink if I am just sucking and don't have access to my beloved instant coffee. I have read many articles that show they actually can make you gain weight

Older Article but still good info IMO for those who have a strong addiction to the them.

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

Overweight Risk Soars 41% With Each Daily Can of Diet Soft Drink
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Charlotte E. Grayson Mathis, MD

June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.
The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.
"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."
In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.
"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.
More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain

Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.
For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
  • 26% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
  • 36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.
Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.
"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."
Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.
"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.
People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.
"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."

The Mad Hatter Theory

"Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "It's very easy to take more than nothing."
Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
There is actually a way that diet drinks could contribute to weight gain, Fowler suggests.
She remembers being struck by the scene in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in which Alice is offended because she is offered tea but is given none -- even though she hadn't asked for tea in the first place. So she helps herself to tea and bread and butter.
That may be just what happens when we offer our bodies the sweet taste of diet drinks, but give them no calories. Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.
"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.
Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.
"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

SOURCES: Fowler, S.P. 65th Annual Scientific Sessions, American Diabetes Association, San Diego, June 10-14, 2005; Abstract 1058-P. Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine, San Antonio. Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, director, sports nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. WebMD News: "Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts.""Artificial Sweeteners May Damage Diet Efforts." Davidson, T.L. International Journal of Obesity, July 2004; vol 28: pp 933-955.
© 2005 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.

Retrieved on 22 Sep 2011 from: Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

once in a while is fine , like say ur cheat day diet drinks are better than a reg , but all in all there is no value whats so ever in drinking them. read up on them i readed some where online that your body may not get the cals from them but ur body still is tricked in thinking the sweetners are the same as sugar and still stores it the same ...

I have read similar stories like that. I try and stir clear from them and energy drinks. I always tell folks if what your drinking can eat off battery corrosion then it can't be good for the inside of your body!

V/R
Chris

All this talk and not one mention of the real risk: preservatives. The amount of artificial sweetener in each can is tiny that and the studies showing any sort of risk have extremely high levels of consumption.

I hear you but with all the ingredients used to make a can of soda it isn't good for our bodies to consume these compounds all the time. Will eventually cause kidney stones of enough water is not consumed to flush out.

V/R
Chris

IML Gear Cream!
my mother in law drinks diet coke all day, every day, and shes slim and sexy as hell. just sayin.....

Lol, then the debate is on. I must say I am swayed to agree with moderation as with anything. It has a lot to do with body genetics. I would also say if you have diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity in your family tree it may be beneficial to watch the intake of diet drinks IMO.

V/R
Chris

Does skim milk count as a diet drink, cause I love that shit :)

As far as soda my parents never gave it to me growing up and so I've never really been into it. I used to like mountain dew but when I started lifting I got rid of that too. Never had a cavity yet and I definitely think it has something to do with never drinking soda and consuming tons of milk

i would limit drinking them to seldom, however once in while wont kill you. if you watch dennis wolf precontest diet video, 2 weeks out he is eating his fish and vegtables and drinking a diet coke! HA

Dually noted. I love skim milk too digit, nothing like a big glass of cold milk. My thoughts of diet drinks are in moderation not that bad, but if it's your source of water hope you have good insurance because a kidney stone surgery isn't cheap! Great discussion folks, I owe you all reps once I get to a computer!!!

V/R
Chris

my mother in law drinks diet coke all day, every day, and shes slim and sexy as hell. just sayin.....

lol my boys dad drinks beer all day long and hes skinny as hell

Lol, that's horrible! Lol! My bro-n-law drinks all day too and he looks like a white ethiopian. Lol.

V/R
Chris

I do drink the occasional soda, but I do drink too much crystal light, (usually the generic, cause I'm a cheap fuck). I dilute it by about half, but it does make the water go down easier. I probably drink 1/2 that and 1/2 half regular water most days. No calories, but I do agree that the artifcial sweetener is not good, either.

IML Gear Cream!
I have tried the Crystal like stuff and can't get past the after taste it leaves after consumption. Taste of medicine still resides in my mouth.

If your body allows you to I guess go for it but just watch how much of the good stuff you consume because it will eventually catch up with you.

V/R
Chris

this thread is really making me think of giving up diet soda

Lol, I hear you bro. It's a luck of the draw on wether you body is able to enjoy the greedy canned pleasures.

V/R
Chris

I drink one or two cans a day of DC with meals. Every time I try to drink a regular one now, it tastes like I'm drinking sugar water. Once I got used to diet drinks I couldn't go back.

i drink the fizzy shit every day and im jacked haha

Back