• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Effective exercises for lats

king_eric

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all! There is one gym where I live, which unfortunately, contains people who would rather talk about what they did the night before ect than train hard(sorry if Im dissing any of you guys, but it is really annoying:mad: ) They hog the machines and just yack yack yack away for ages and don't do a thing! Any ways, sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest!:D Basically I train at home now with free weights which I am seeing the benifits from. However, I am having difficulty developing a goo set of lats! Any exercises with free weights which can help me develop them? Also, the same with my traps! As you can see, Im still a newbie!:rolleyes: Thanks for your help!

Pullups, even if you can only do a few, I think are far better than pulldowns.

Rows of all types

You have many options:

1) Pull-ups & Chin-ups - do a predetermined # of reps instead of sets...take as many sets as you need...as time goes by you will need fewer and fewer sets to complete the reps

2) Bent-Over Barbell Rows or Bent-Over Dumbell Rows - depending on what you have for free weights you can use two dumbells or a barbell

3) Single-Arm Dumbell Rows

4) Dumbell Pullovers

5) Deadlifts - either with dumbells or a barbell...again depending on your weights

This is a total of 5 exercises....at 3 sets per exercise....and train hard...you'll have lats before you know it.

PS - the deadlifts and pullovers are not primarily for the lats but are a part of a complete back training program...that's why I listed them here

For complete Back development make sure to include a vertical and horizontal row. Pull ups/pull downs are examples of vertical rows and barbell rows are examples of horizontal rows.

Don't neglect your spinal erectors, make sure you squat and/or deadlift. You can also try doing back hyperextensions if you have the apparatus.

Deadlifts are making a difference for me right now, I had avoided them previously only doing SLDLs.

Deadlifts, bent over rows, rev grip rows, cable rows, pullups, and SLDLs on leg day. Thats what I do at the moment.

Forgot to mention exercises for traps:

IMO...pick one of (1) and (2) and always do 3

1) Dumbell Shrugs or 2) Barbell Shrugs

3) Narrow Grip Upright Rows

Traps and shoulders definately have an effect on the total package :)

IML Gear Cream!
lat question

I hate those talking people too!!!

So far my favorite lat excesize is the dumbell bent over rows. They give me a great stretching burn that I definetly feel for a few days. I have been doing pull-ups/chin ups but position my hands and arms in different ways to experiment and try to find the best workout.
I am on my 3rd week of training and was wondering what is the best way do do the pull-ups/chin-ups?

-Palms facing me and close together(I do these)
-palms facing me and shoulder width apart(I do these too)
-palms away from me close together
-palms away from me far apart

yeah I think I am too weak for those right now.I want to do them really bad. :yell: I am slowly building up to them though. Another week or two and I will be crushing them right out!!!;)

We sorta did something like that this week with the palms in and close together. We just did as many pull/chin ups as we could for each set. Finally we were really dead after 7 sets!!! I can't wait to try the wide grip/ palms away idea. That is going to be brutal---YES!!!!!
I will try that next week when they are healed. Since we just did lats on monday I sure feel them today!! Probably the best burn so far.

Palms facing you (?) and close together (supinated, not prone) for 7 sets is overkill, and not going to hit the outer lats very well. That would be better for the upper (shoulder blade area) back and will hit the biceps as well.

Back