• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

If you want blazing speed, iPhone 4S may not be for you

Big Pimpin

Sancho
Registered
Reaction score
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more
IML Gear Cream!
If you want blazing speed, iPhone 4S may not be for you

Commentary The "S" in iPhone 4S can't possibly stand for network speed, can it?
Despite a "never-been-done" redesigned antenna, other smartphones can still leave the iPhone 4S in their dust. For all of Apple's advances with the iPhone, the network speed is one area where the company has fallen short.

(Read: iPhone 4S First Take)

The connection speed is an increasingly critical issue for consumers, who rely on zippier networks to ferry streaming videos, music downloads, complex websites and online games on to their devices. That the iPhone 4S can not ride on any of the U.S. carriers' fastest networks has to be taken into consideration before purchase.

Many were hoping the iPhone 4S to make the leap to 4G. While AT&T considers it a 4G device, at Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel the iPhone 4S will appear sluggish next the LTE connection enjoyed by the Motorola Droid Bionic or the Evo 3D's Wimax speeds. Even at AT&T, the Samsung Galaxy S II enjoys a faster connection.

"It's not the fastest phone on AT&T," said Avi Greengart, who covers consumer electronic devices for Current Analysis. "It certainly isn't the fastest phone on Verizon or Sprint."

Nowadays, 4G is more of a marketing term than a technical classification. While Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel have what some in the industry consider a true next-generation wireless network, AT&T and T-Mobile USA have reclassified their souped-up 3G networks as 4G as well.
Apple, for its part, has wisely opted to stay out of the 4G debate.

"We're not going to get into the debate about what's 4G and what isn't. We'll leave that for others to talk about," said Philip Schiller, head of marketing for Apple, during the announcement yesterday.

iPhone_4S_speedshot02_270x170.png

The iPhone 4S stacked up against other "4G" devices from AT&T.
(Credit: Apple)

But that didn't stop Schiller from associating the iPhone 4S with a few other AT&T devices that shared a 4G moniker: the Motorola Atrix 4G, the LG Thrill 4G, and the HTC Inspire 4G.

AT&T was quick to point out that its version of the iPhone 4S will be the only one among U.S. carriers to offer an HSPA+ connection. But not all HSPA technology is equal. Apple doesn't even refer to HSPA+ in its presentation, instead using the term HSUPA, which is part of the same family tree of network technology. Apple isn't using the fastest branch either.

Schiller said the iPhone 4S features double the speed of the iPhone 4, allowing you to download files at a rate of 14.4 megabits per second and send up files at 5.8 megabits per second. But those are theoretical peak speeds, which only occur during the most optimal conditions. Usually, the connection speed is much slower, although AT&T doesn't provide an estimate for average speeds.

CNET will be testing the iPhone 4S in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for more information.

Apple_iPhone_4S_270x195.png

Apple's iPhone 4S.
(Credit: Apple)

The Samsung Galaxy S II, also on AT&T, can theoretically download a file at 21 megabits per second. T-Mobile USA, which isn't getting the iPhone, are set to launch its own version of the Galaxy S II and the HTC Amaze, which use the same wireless technology but can theoretically connect at 42 megabits per second (it claims the average speed is more like 8 megabits per second).

(Read: T-Mobile unveils Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Amaze 4G)

Admittedly, the difference on AT&T will be minimal. The math is a lot simpler when compared with Verizon Wireless and Sprint's 4G networks. With LTE, Verizon has promised average (not theoretical) download speeds of 12 megabits per second, although the connection has often found to be significantly faster. Sprint's WiMax offers an average speed of 6 megabits per second.

For customers using Verizon's Thunderbolt or Droid Bionic or Sprint's Evo 3D or Epic Touch, moving to an iPhone 4S would result in a dramatic slowdown in their connection speeds. Those used to 4G speeds may find it painful to move back to 3G.

Apple didn't decide to go to a true next-generation connection because it wanted to avoid the problems of other 4G phones. The faster connection comes at a cost in shorter battery life, and the need for a bulkier frame to hold multiple wireless radios. For a style-obsessed company such as Apple, it's easy to see why they opted to skip 4G for now. alsoIt likely avoided WiMax altogether because even Sprint is moving to LTE.
(Read: Sprint to launch own 4G LTE network in early 2012 - scoop)

To be sure, the S in iPhone 4S also stands for the faster dual-core processor, faster graphics capabilities, and its ability to take faster photos. While many are getting over the disappointment that Apple didn't redesign the phone, analysts say the backlash won't affect sales.
"Apple didn't do anything revolutionary with the iPhone 4S, but they didn't have to," Greengart said.

The lack of 4G isn't really a knock on the iPhone 4S, but more of a warning to those who have become accustomed to much higher connection speeds. This phone may not be the one for you.

A faster data throughput will blow you through your shitty data cap in no time. Bringing on a shit storm of high priced fees. Yay.

i'll stick with the iphone4, something new is always around the corner

A faster data throughput will blow you through your shitty data cap in no time. Bringing on a shit storm of high priced fees. Yay.

Grandfathered unlimited data plan FTW.

used to really like iphones..but now i love my android inspire

Android all the way bro! :ohyeah:

I've been a Blackberry guy for a long time but they have peaked unfortunately. I would have got a Droid this last go-around but ATT had a shitty selection and I have way too many phones with ATT to just jump ship to Verizon, so I bought the 4G Torch to buy some time.

I will miss Blackberry Messenger because I still have a lot of friends on it. :coffee:

IML Gear Cream!
I've been a Blackberry guy for a long time but they have peaked unfortunately. I would have got a Droid this last go-around but ATT had a shitty selection and I have way too many phones with ATT to just jump ship to Verizon, so I bought the 4G Torch to buy some time.

I will miss Blackberry Messenger because I still have a lot of friends on it. :coffee:

I am about to give up my BB, also. They want to charge the same amount as other smartphone manufacturers, but they don't want to improve their shitty browser or fix the other problem that plague the BB right now.

Same here. GF wants to get fAmily plan at Verizon, but bot leaving unlimited data!

Everyone talked shit when I got the first IPhone, but now I'm glad I did since I have unlimited data...

Back