• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

I don't look like I lift

TheStuff

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys, what's up. I've been lifting with GoPro's power/rep/shock routines and I've been gaining a lot more strength and progression is great. I am 16 years old and I believe that things are going great. The thing I'm concerned about is that I am getting stronger, I can tell because I have been lifting a lot more weight than I used to and I have been progressing pretty fast, but it seems like my body is staying the same. For example, my arms arms are really coming along. It's just that it doesn't look like that I am very that strong or lift as much as a do so what is there to do to make the body take its shape. I guess my arms are "big" to what people say, but for what I lift, I would think they would be a lot bigger than they are. I don't know, has anyone else had a problem with this? Thanks for the help.

What kind of weights are you lifting?
How is your form? This is KEY. Cheating to increase lifts will get your muscles virtually nowhere...train the body not the ego
Don't worry about what you think you should or shouldn't be lifting. Just make sure your strength continues to increase...you'll get there...be patient. Sometimes a lot of the strength gain in the beginning is due to stronger tendons/ligaments, not just your muscles.

I am getting stronger yet I am staying at the same weight of around 140-145 and 5'8 (yeah I know skinny) I really don't really have that much body fat since I mostly run 5-6 miles every day (soccer) I eat a lot but I always end up burning everything during soccer.

What kind of weights am I lifting? I don't get what you are asking by this question, but I mostly use free weights because I feel it targets more on the muscle when you use the form correctly. I have always lifted the weight where I can still complete perfect form, yet still puts strain on the muscles.

Do you think I should take any suppliments or just stay natural and not take any of the creatine and things like that. I took a GNC Weightgainer suppliment after workouts a while ago and the highest I got was at 150lbs and then I got sick and lost like six pounds :(

Lol yeah, it's a beeotch, but it's part of the sport. We run about two miles each day for conditioning, and then a mile or so in sprints, and then the rest is just running around during practice and drills. And then soccer games, I have no idea how many miles we run, probably not as much since it's only 90 minutes. The thing is, I don't consider myself to be a great long distance runner, I am a very fast in sprints (atleast that's what I think). The worst was trying to make the two miles under 12 minutes to be elligiable to play on the team. Made it in 11:54 and I was spent lol, the worst thing is that we had practice right after the run, probably the most running I had ever done in my life. But that is mostly why I am so light, I do not believe I have that much body fat on me or else I would be probably a lot heavier, I'm pretty solid when it comes to muscle, but it just doesn't look like it.

Copy and paste the following link into the address bar for it to work.

Here is a picture I took on December 7th, kinda dark, but you can kinda see my body form. Nothing is flexed or "fixed up" it's just a regular picture. Tell me what you guys think I can do and if it looks like I even lift.

http://hardhitter2k3.tripod.com/Dec29_07.jpg

yeah, i see what you mean... but i think thats because of all the running you do. if you kept your same routine, but stopped running 30 miles a week, you'd look a lot bigger. ;)

I say you're not eating enough. Eat 6-8 times a day, lots of protein. If you lift and don't eat right your strength will increase but your size gains won't be as dramatic.

Powerlifters control thier weight via diet, and so do bodybuilders.

As for running, when you do something to your body your body will adapt. If you look at a marathon runner, that is body adaptation and diet. If you run alot, your body will not want to gain weight, plus the fact that you are burning off calories as it is, so being a 250 pound bodybuilder running 5-6 miles a day, isn't going to last very long, the body will adapt and drop weight fast.

If you haven???t been gaining any muscle for quite some time it may be due to a lack of calories being consumed. Many people who are attempting to gain muscle severely overestimate the amount of calories they???re taking in and thus never give their bodies ample nutrients needed to grow. The basic fact is you have to eat - a lot - if you ever want to really reach your full potential. I hear all the time "I can???t seem to gain any muscle" or "no matter how much I eat I never seem to gain any weight." While I do recognize the fact that some individuals have a higher metabolism then others, if you eat enough you will grow. Almost every time I go over someone???s diet whose claims to be eating "like a horse" and who is not gaining any weight I often find that his or her perceptions are highly skewed. Sure, you may consume half a pizza at one sitting but you only eat once a day ??? I wonder why you???re not gaining any weight? There have even been a couple of instances where I find out that I???m consuming more calories than these individuals while during a cutting phase.

Your body is an amazing machine. It???s doing everything possible to survive. It???s not going to want to add extra muscle, muscle that has to be constantly supplied with energy and nutrients unless it???s fully confident in the fact that the environment in which it exists can provide it. In other words, an abundance of nutrients must be supplied to your body over time in order for it to adapt by growing larger muscles. If you eat one big meal a day; once your body is done digesting and absorbing that food it goes in to starvation mode ??? how much muscle do you think you can add then? By consuming an abundance of nutrients and never allowing yourself to go hungry you???ll provide an environment in which your body can adapt and grow stronger.

While in a gaining phase don???t be afraid to add a little extra body fat. You find that you???ll actually be stronger when you do and the more weight you can lift the more muscle you???re going to gain. Almost all professional bodybuilders go through a gain phase in which they let loose a little on their diet and just focus on consuming a lot of calories. Sure they gain a little extra fat but they also gain a lot of muscle. Once their ready to begin cutting it???s just that much easier to lose the extra fat. You should spend 8 to 12 weeks a year in which you concentrate on nothing else but gaining weight. The best time to do this is usually in the winter when everyone is wearing warm clothes and there is no risk of having to sport a bathing suit. Once springtime roles around you???ll have a lot more muscle than you did and you???ll be able to drop off any unwanted pounds quickly. You have to cycle your weight gain and weight loss periods if you ever want to achieve your maximum potential. You can???t gain weight and lose it at the same time so focus on one or the other and switch once you reach your desired goals. Focus is key.

Askjoe

IML Gear Cream!
Thanks guys, sadly though, soccer is going every single second of my day. Our high school regular season ends Saturday (if we loose, it's playoffs) and then I have about a week or two off and then I start Club soccer and that goes for a while, while high school summer soccer league is going on, so I'm doing two practices in one day some days. Then after club is over, high school soccer conditioning starts and after conditioning is over, tryouts for the season begin and then we start the regular season. And this process just repeats. I go and lift around 2-3 times a week using gopro's power, rep, shock routines. I guess I'm stuck with this body eh? Or will suppliments help me bulk out a little?

maybe if you eat like 10k calories a day you'll bulk up. :/

Calories, not supplements.

FIRST - you are still natural if you use creatine BUT you don't need it.

What kind of weights...I meant what exercises, poundages, training split, etc?

It will be hard to gain weight with that much running/cardio but you may be able to have some success if you dramatically increase calories/protein AND make post training meals high in carbs/protein..have them right away.

You'll need to try different things but definately start by working on changing your diet.

It's GoPro's Power/Rep/Shock Routine, but here it is anyways.

Mon: Chest/shoulders/tri's
Wed: Legs/abs
Fri: Back/bi's

BICEPS

POWER:
-barbell curl...185 x 4-6, 175 x 4-6
-preacher curl...155 x 4-6, 145 x 4-6
-hammer curl...70s x 4-6, 65s x 4-6

REP RANGE:
-alternating dumbell curl...75s x 6-8, 70s x 6-8
-cable curl...150 x 8-10, 140 x 8-10
-concentration curl...45 x 10-12, 40 x 10-12

SHOCK:
-ez bar curl/CG chin superset...165 x 6-10/bodyweight x 6-10
-preacher curl/reverse curl superset...125 x 6-10/85 x 6-10
-cable single arm curl...60 x 6-10, drop to 40 x 6-10

CHEST

POWER:
Bench Press 3 set x 4-6rep
Incline Press 3 set x 6-8rep
Decline Flyes 3 set x 10-12rep

REP RANGE:
Decline Bench 3 sets x 6-8reps
Incline Dumbells 3 sets x 6-8reps
Flat Flye 3 set x 6-8rep
Weighted Dips 2 set x 6-8rep

SHOCK:
Incline Fly 2 set x 8-10 supersetted with..... Bench Press 2 set x 8-10rep
Pec Deck or crossover 2 x 8-10 supersetted with Incline Bench 2 set x 8-10rep
Weighted Dips Drop Set....enough wt. to get 4-5 reps, drop the wt. and get another 4-5, take all wt. off (just bodyweight) and go till failure.... only one set of this.

LEGS

POWER:
-squats...3 x 4-6
-leg press...3 x 4-6
-single leg extension...2 x 4-6
-lying leg curl...3 x 4-6
-stiff deadlift...2-3 x 4-6

REP RANGE:
-leg extension...2 x 8-10
-hack squat...3 x 10-12
-one legged leg press...3 x 12-15
-lying leg curl...2 x 6-8
-stiff deadlift...2 x 8-10
-single leg curl or seated leg curl...1-2 x 10-12

SHOCK:
-superset: leg extension/front squat...1-2 x 8-10 each
-superset: leg extension/sissy squat or leg press...1-2 x 8-10 each
-dropset: lunge...1 x 8-10, drop, 8-10
-superset: leg curl seated or lying/toes pointed hyperextension...1-2 x 8-10 each
-dropset: single leg curl...1-2 x 8-10, drop, 8-10

DELTS

POWER:
-military press...2-3 x 4-6
-upright row...2-3 x 4-6
-"cheat" lateral...2 x 4-6

REP RANGE:
-single arm dumbell press...2 x 6-8
-bent lateral...2-3 x 8-10
-cable side lateral...2 x 10-12

SHOCK:
-seated side lateral/hammer machine press superset...1-2 x 8-10
-reverse pec deck/WG upright row superset...1-2 x 8-10
-cable front raise dropset...1 x 6-8, drop 6-8, drop 6-8 optional

BACK

POWER:
-rack deadlift...3 x 3-6
-bent row...3 x 4-6
-weighted chin...2-3 x 4-6
-CG seated row...2-3 x 4-6

REP RANGE
-CG weighted chin...2 x 6-8
-WG T-Bar row...2 x 8-10
-dumbell row...2 x 10-12
-pullover...2 x 12-15

SHOCK:
-pullover/WG pulldown superset...1-2 x 8-10 each
-stiff arm pulldown/reverse grip bent row...1-2 x 8-10 each
-CG seated pully row dropset...1 x 6-8, drop, 6-8, drop, 6-8

TRICEPS

week 1: power

-seated overhead extension...3 x 4-6
-pushdown...2 x 4-6
-reverse grip pulldown...1-2 x 4-6

week 2: rep range

-weighted dip...3 x 6-8
-pushdown...2 x 8-10
-kickback...1-2 x 10-12

week 3: shock

-pushdown/CG bench press superset...1-2 x 6-10 each
-reverse grip pushdown/incline overhead extension superset...1-2 x 6-10 each
-DROPSET weighted bench dip...1 x 8-10, drop 8-10

I usually never do legs that much because soccer players don't really need to lift heavy for legs or it will slow us down, if I do lift legs, I do light weight and high reps to just tone them.

Originally posted by TheStuff

BICEPS

POWER:
-barbell curl...185 x 4-6, 175 x 4-6
-preacher curl...155 x 4-6, 145 x 4-6
-hammer curl...70s x 4-6, 65s x 4-6

REP RANGE:
-alternating dumbell curl...75s x 6-8, 70s x 6-8
-cable curl...150 x 8-10, 140 x 8-10
-concentration curl...45 x 10-12, 40 x 10-12

SHOCK:
-ez bar curl/CG chin superset...165 x 6-10/bodyweight x 6-10
-preacher curl/reverse curl superset...125 x 6-10/85 x 6-10
-cable single arm curl...60 x 6-10, drop to 40 x 6-10

Holy shit, your 16 and weigh 140-145 but your Barbell curl 185lb :eek:

Freeeek :eek:

Err sorry, those are from GoPro, lol

I do around 100 for barbell curl and then drop down to 90 for the second set. And for preacher curl, I've been trying to find out how much I am doing, but how much does the bar weigh? I have a 35lbs on each side and then the bar is around what? 20-25lbs? So I preacher curl around 90-95lbs. I think that's pretty good, I've been gaining a lot of strength on my arms over the past month. Just wish I could say the same about benchpress and my pecs, probably my weakest muscle, but I'm trying :(

Play football(American style) and you don't have to do the BS 6 mile running every day.

I played freshman year but it was gay, wasn't really that fun to me so I didn't play this year. Seems like all the sports I play has to do with a lot of physical cardio work. Soccer, basketball, etc. Maybe that's why I didn't like football.

At 140 pds you are going to have a tough time on a football field.

IML Gear Cream!
IF you want to gain, you have to intake more calories IMHO. You're doing cardio almost daily, this is going to eat up whatever you might be intaking.

As I see it, you have a choice. Either decide to get bigger, or decide to NOT be big (I played soccer in two leagues as well when I was younger). Soccer is great - keeps you fit (and lean) and is a hell of alot of fun, BUT if you want to gain mass, all that cardio has to go (or you need to eat more......like mega calories from the appropriate sources). I'm not sure you CAN gain mass on what you have posted.

Again, YOU have to decide. I'd recommend you not worrry about gaining mass for a year or two and enjoy your soccer. (that doesn't mean stop slappin the weights around, btw).

Its a fact, if you burn calories you have to offset it with more food intake, no rocket science there. Or just enjoy what your doing, and keep up the lifting for fun.

football weight

Originally posted by Wolfpack22
At 140 pds you are going to have a tough time on a football field.

i came into last season(freshman year) weighing only 115 pounds. since then ive gained 15 pounds (mainly from lifting) and gotten a lot stronger. football is 90 percent mental, and 10 percent physical. i beat 250 pounds tackles cause im quicer than them. granted, size is key for most people in football, but if you can learn to get around that limitation, maybe you can walk on at notre dame and have a crappy sean astin movie made about you(i have the dvd) :) you wont gain any weight if you dont quit all that running, unless of course you wanna vomit after every meal. make a choice, but id play soccer for now, you might as well enjoy that before you get old.

True, RC.

Wolfpack, I really believe that weight is a factor in football, but it doesn't really matter, it's based on quickness and mentality rate like RC said above. I am only 145lbs, but I am quick and fast. I can run the 40 faster than our varsity backs and I have quick feet to cut and change directions. It didn't matter for me that I weigh only 140-145lbs because I was trying not to get tackled, so it was to my advantage. I just didn't enjoy the sport all together, too slow pace to me and not demanding enough, just got boring. No offense to anyone who plays football.

Even at a body weight of 145, a 100lb bb curl and a 95lb preacher curl are GREAT!!! Give it time, you'll pack on the beef :thumb:

I have a good friend (yes I have friends) that is in the same boat as you. He's been working out about 3 or 4 years and looks like he's in good shape but is still skinny. He runs all the time....almost every day. I'm new to this but if I had to guess I bet that is his problem also.

Yep, if you can legitimately curl 100 pounds you are strong. I was one of only several people that could curl 110, and I was around 160 or 170 at the time, I forget. We did have a couple gear heads though, one guy was about 5'4" and looked like a national level guy, he was ripped and huge, and was also an expert guitar player. He was dedicated to everything he did.

I agree with the above statement..."it'll be hard to do both...play soccer and get big....enjoy your soccer and lift for fun...in a couple years...worry about getting more muscular"...for now train for strength and quickness that'll help you on the field. Learn to have fun in the weight roomand you'll be hooked for life regardless of what your goals may be.

Originally posted by Fit Freak
I agree with the above statement..."it'll be hard to do both...play soccer and get big....enjoy your soccer and lift for fun...in a couple years...worry about getting more muscular"...for now train for strength and quickness that'll help you on the field. Learn to have fun in the weight roomand you'll be hooked for life regardless of what your goals may be.

Awesome statement :thumb:
Keep traing hard dude and stay with the forums, you'll learn heaps.
One thing i have noticed though is that you always look smaller to yourself. I dont think i'm that big but my friends rekon i'm huge. Keep training, it takes "TIME" effort and dedication, stay with it and you'll reap the rewards fer sure :thumb:

Back