• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Diamond shaped calves

darkside5674

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I don't have any issues whatsoever putting on good lean muscle up top but I have always had issues with getting my calves to grow. Anyone have any good calve exercises that can help me put on some solid meat down there? Currently I am just adding standing calf raises (weighted and unweighted) until muscle failure at the end of a leg workout. I've had some noticeable results but I wonder if I'm on the right track.

loose the non-weighted raises, increase the weight, don't over train them (common issue), and in-my-opinion don't go to failure (at least not every time)

It's hard with calves because you have to find what works best for you. I am fortunate. My mom has huge calves and she kind of passed them along to me. Mine are not as big as hers but they are cut and veiny. Now don't get me wrong they weren't always that way. I tried hitting them hard once a week, twice a week, even three times a week. I tried one exercise, two, even super sets, plus all kinds of reps ranges. Calves are just like every other muscle you have...you have to figure out what works. Now I know calves are stubborn bastards because they say "fuck you" we walk all day, you can't throw shit at us that we can't handle. Well I finally told them to "shut the fuck up" when I found what worked for me. High reps with as heavy weight I can handle with good form. I do two regular exercises, one double leg, one single leg. The third exercise is a superset. That's it. That is what works for me. Hope you can find what works best for you. Good luck brother.

It's hard with calves because you have to find what works best for you. I am fortunate. My mom has huge calves and she kind of passed them along to me. Mine are not as big as hers but they are cut and veiny. Now don't get me wrong they weren't always that way. I tried hitting them hard once a week, twice a week, even three times a week. I tried one exercise, two, even super sets, plus all kinds of reps ranges. Calves are just like every other muscle you have...you have to figure out what works. Now I know calves are stubborn bastards because they say "fuck you" we walk all day, you can't throw shit at us that we can't handle. Well I finally told them to "shut the fuck up" when I found what worked for me. High reps with as heavy weight I can handle with good form. I do two regular exercises, one double leg, one single leg. The third exercise is a superset. That's it. That is what works for me. Hope you can find what works best for you. Good luck brother.
Thanks predator. That sounds like good advice.:winkfinger:

Aim for as much range of motion as possible. Stretch at the bottom and squeeze for a second or two at the top. Also, the more you weigh, the bigger they'll get

Yeah I was told before that high reps at body weight would do the job. It hasn't so I'll adjust my routine and try what you guys are saying.

Bodyweight calve exercises will definitely strengthen those calves and add definition but if you want size gotta add weight bro like any other body part....try focusing on heavy/low rep exercises for a few weeks and then back to lighter/high exercises for a couple weeks to bulk and keep definition

Heavy donkey raises. Hold all the way at the bottom for three seconds then push all the way to the top for a one second hold. Learned that from Built. 15 reps you will feel it like no other.

Heavy donkey raises. Hold all the way at the bottom for three seconds then push all the way to the top for a one second hold. Learned that from Built. 15 reps you will feel it like no other.

^^^heavy donkeys are crucial! I like that pic of Arnold doing them with a dude on his back. LMAO

Dont remember where the hell I read it or saw it but the calves take a lot of punishment on a daily basis just walking and doing normal stuff. You need to up the game if you want to get them to grow.

Heavy sets of 15-20. When I am done with donkey raises I usually have to hang on the machine for a few seconds so the blood can rush back in.

use the smith machine standing on a step do raises with feet turned out a bit then raises feet turned in a bit 4 sets each 3 times a week for 3 weeks then just resume by doing them once or twice a week. and let me know the results

Guy in gym suggested that to me recently, by god i felt trashed after it, but works great. Thanks for putting it out there, for rest of the peeps :welldone:

Guy in gym suggested that to me recently, by god i felt trashed after it, but works great. Thanks for putting it out there, for rest of the peeps :welldone:

sure agree totally full range of motion + short pause are excellent

Make sure youre doing some seated raises. They hit the soleus MUCH harder than standing calve raises do. Standing calves raises hit the gastrocs more directly than the soleus. By only hitting standing calf raises you are not directly stimulating the soleus.

If you do a lot of cardio, up the incline a little and walk on your toes for a few minutes.

IML Gear Cream!
Full range of motion is absolutely necessary but don't go too deep with calve raises, I was working heavy weight and went too deep and strained the shit out of my Achilles tendon, hurt like hell for like 3 weeks

Full range of motion is absolutely necessary but don't go too deep with calve raises, I was working heavy weight and went too deep and strained the shit out of my Achilles tendon, hurt like hell for like 3 weeks

Could also be a tight Achilles. I just let the weight rest and I hold at the lowest point with me putting zero tension on my calves. I think I have okay calves.

I don't have any issues whatsoever putting on good lean muscle up top but I have always had issues with getting my calves to grow. Anyone have any good calve exercises that can help me put on some solid meat down there? Currently I am just adding standing calf raises (weighted and unweighted) until muscle failure at the end of a leg workout. I've had some noticeable results but I wonder if I'm on the right track.

Try shocking them by experimenting with high rep sets in the 100 rep range and see what the result is.

Inspiration....
images

Calves+Erik+Fankhouser+Ben+Jeff+Long.jpg

^^^i got a pair of the VFF (speeds) with the laces and love them for leg day...I would lift barefoot but my gym won't allow it, those or my ol chuck t's.

Got some for jogging and day-to-day walking. Definitely make you readjust your "gait" so to speak.

Got some for jogging and day-to-day walking. Definitely make you readjust your "gait" so to speak.

definitely, i tried running in them for the first time about 4 miles....my calves where wodded up for like 2 weeks lol...ankles have definitely gotten stronger though..

My next leg workout will be on Tuesday. I'm going to try going heavier and implement a few of the tips you guys have given. I really appreciate all the tips. I think I'm going to start a journal and record my my progress.

Back