• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Why am I not losing weight

Disciple

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm a 46yr old woman I weigh 8st 6lbs and I'm 5ft 3in I'm trying to loose body fat, I train 4/5 times a week for 45-60minutes(mostly doing kettlebells). My diet is very low carb, it consists of a protein shake (slow release) in the morning around 7.30am, 2 boiled eggs around 10am lunch is chicken & broccoli a slow release protein shake around 3pm I train from 5pm-6pm and straight after training I would take a whey protein shake then around 7pm I have salmon & broccoli. I dont snack in between,I have been eating like this for the past 6 weeks and haven't lost an ounce in fact a few times when I have weighed myself I have weighed 2pounds heavier, am I overtraining? Eating to much? Not eating enough? Or what?

Cut servings of shakes in half, Take fiber supplement with whole foods, 1-2 times daily for a week, then daily. Watch sugars. keep them low, complex carbs (rice, whole pasta, oatmeal) are much better. Rotate cardio, keep heart rate 110-120 NOT above. There's all sorts of changes to refine. Try a few. Look at calorie intake, make sure it's not to high, again especially in sugar.

You need to give us some real details if you want any help.

Details: Exact calorie consumption every day, exact training program..everything you do in detail, how long have you been on this diet and exercise and diet program..what are the exact changes week to week so far

ECT

What does the label on the whey container say? Carb/protein/fat/calories please.
How many calories do you think you are burning in each workout?
Use an online calculator to estimate your basal metabolic rate, adjusted for your activity level at work.

Cut the shakes, eat whole foods. Read up on intermittent fasting, worked a treat for me.

I'm a 46yr old woman I weigh 8st 6lbs and I'm 5ft 3in I'm trying to loose body fat, I train 4/5 times a week for 45-60minutes(mostly doing kettlebells). My diet is very low carb, it consists of a protein shake (slow release) in the morning around 7.30am, 2 boiled eggs around 10am lunch is chicken & broccoli a slow release protein shake around 3pm I train from 5pm-6pm and straight after training I would take a whey protein shake then around 7pm I have salmon & broccoli. I dont snack in between,I have been eating like this for the past 6 weeks and haven't lost an ounce in fact a few times when I have weighed myself I have weighed 2pounds heavier, am I overtraining? Eating to much? Not eating enough? Or what?

Can you please put your meal plan into a food counts program like FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal and post up the total calories & macronutrient breakdown (% and grams of protein, fats & carbs)?

Also are you intending to follow a ketogenic diet or just going "low carb"? Honestly, for either you need to do regular refeeds. Given you're doing a very strenuous workout w/ kettlebells 4-5 days per week, if you're not eating carbs, and it really doesn't look like you're eating all that much to fuel those training sessions.

Some questions for you:
- do you have energy when you do your training or do you burn out quickly?
- are you sleeping well?
- do you have energy during your regular day?
- are you starving all the time or feel ok?
- how do your clothes fit since you started this program?

Regardless of what the scale says, I think you're really more interested in a body composition change than the number on the scale. Are you seeing your clothes being looser? That is another thing to watch to determine "progress". I have related a story from a contest prep I started back in 2005. I was coming off a couple years since my last show, a relocation to a new state for a new job where I didn't know anyone, just bought a new house. So I started w/ the diet along w/ my usual training. For the first 5 weeks, I dropped 8% bodyfat, but my weight changed only 2 lb.

thanks for the detailed answer sassy i will start to write down my consumption but i basically keep everything the same i don't crave sweet stuff or don't need a cheat meal my energy is always the same which is good when i train i always complete the full hour workouts,and recover with no pain.I will add i competed in power lifting in 2010 and came first for my age my best bench was 82kg my full squat was 110kg and d/lift was 130kg all unequipped.
so i am generally stronger than most girls and since doing kettle bells my cardiovascular system is better than ever before. I would agree my body composition is changing to firmer also i use 4 point body fat measurement callipers and each week it is reducing.
i can quite easily train twice a day with no issues and my kettle bells are intense conditioning ones.
do you think i should add in some weights or reduce the bells or up the carbohydrate intake ? ps thanks for you help Alison

thanks for the detailed answer sassy i will start to write down my consumption but i basically keep everything the same i don't crave sweet stuff or don't need a cheat meal my energy is always the same which is good when i train i always complete the full hour workouts,and recover with no pain.I will add i competed in power lifting in 2010 and came first for my age my best bench was 82kg my full squat was 110kg and d/lift was 130kg all unequipped.
so i am generally stronger than most girls and since doing kettle bells my cardiovascular system is better than ever before. I would agree my body composition is changing to firmer also i use 4 point body fat measurement callipers and each week it is reducing.
i can quite easily train twice a day with no issues and my kettle bells are intense conditioning ones.
do you think i should add in some weights or reduce the bells or up the carbohydrate intake ? ps thanks for you help Alison

The cheat meal is for more than energy, though. Your body may react to your new diet by shutting or slowing your metabolism, right? I'd place a cheat in there every ten days at least to ward off any "starvation" mechanism.

What are you doing for cardio?

I'm following very low carb/keto, but haven't dropped as much weight as I have in the past. Hoping it's an increase in lean body mass but suspect I just need to increase my cardio and tighten down on my calorie intake.

Best wishes in your efforts.

My opinion: I would include weight training. It may stop the scale numbers from going down but it will result in increased energy expenditure throughout the day. You might also add some muscle mass, which is metabolically active and will increase your resting metabolic rate.

How do you know you aren't loosing bodyfat and gaining muscle?

Can you please post up the results of what you put into fitday.com so WE can see how much you are eating? I really hate "low carb" if its not specifically intended to be a keto diet. Just looking at the list of foods you outlined, it looks like you're not eating enough and if you're trying to do a keto diet, you're not eating enough fats. I really don't think you're eating enough to support the type of activity you're doing right now, and if that's the case, then your body is slowing down metabolism so it can retain the energy sources it knows it has. And that's why I'd like to know the total cals & macro nutrient portions. I'm not saying you have to enter data every day if you're eating about the same thing. But you should have a clear understanding & accounting of what you typically eat as a baseline. Eyeballing it from what you've written so far, I think you're undereating but I really can't make any better recommendations until we see the details for at least one typical day's meal plan.

Also if you're going to bother doing skinfold caliper measures, you're better off doing a 9 pt measure instead of 4. That's really not accurate enough to bother with.

Cut servings of shakes in half, Take fiber supplement with whole foods, 1-2 times daily for a week, then daily. Watch sugars. keep them low, complex carbs (rice, whole pasta, oatmeal) are much better. Rotate cardio, keep heart rate 110-120 NOT above. There's all sorts of changes to refine. Try a few. Look at calorie intake, make sure it's not to high, again especially in sugar.

This, make sure you aren't taking in too many carbs/sugars. Two things most people struggle with.

Most people do cardio first before weight training. I do it the opposite so by the time I get to cardio, my body is burning fat as a fuel source.

There is no reason to keep hr below 120. The harder you work, the more calories you burn.
Fat loss is determined by calories in vs calories out. The idea that keeping your hr in the "fat burning zone" results in more fat loss is a myth.

Back