• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Salary Laws?

are there circumstances?

I would say yes, as it would be listed as an 'Act of God'..
I may be wrong..I am not a lawyer..

I am not a lawyer so...

I think it depends on your company policy and the state you live in.

I cannot imagine forcing employers to pay employees for time not work unless of course it is earned, like vacation. We give our personal time that is to cover their sick, vacation or whatever time.

Now, as a good-will measure we MAY pay them, but that would be b/c we wanted to not b/c we had too.

I agree with Pepper...

My company is based in Fairfax, VA and I know they have a strict policy... if it snows or whatever and you can't get to work then you either use your general leave time or you don't get paid... SUCKS!!!

They were more understanding for 9/11 and the Columbia disaster...

Originally posted by butterfly
I agree with Pepper...

My company is based in Fairfax, VA and I know they have a strict policy... if it snows or whatever and you can't get to work then you either use your general leave time or you don't get paid... SUCKS!!!

They were more understanding for 9/11 and the Columbia disaster...

That's what it should be. If they pay 40hrs/week, but expect you to work 60, they had better pay for the weeks where it was only 30hrs.

This company I worked for was gay like that (although I wasn't salaried). Anything < 40hrs was paid by the hour, and anything over 40 was just 40hrs pay, no matter what. Talk about an ass raping.

Originally posted by Prince
If an employee is paid by salary is it true that they get their full pay no matter what, even if they do not work?

I'm pretty sure it depends on if they are exempt or non-exempt.

Non-exempt - No
Exempt - Yes

yes, there was a snow storm and employees were unable to get to the office.
A big-un!!!!
Every place is different and each state has different laws. An-example..........For the City of Charlotte..........
Everyone in Engineering is salary.............exempt or non exempt.
Non Exempt gets over time over 40(me) because of my workload I may have to put in extra hours to get done.
Exempt has to work 50 hours before overtime kicks in.
They still do timebooks to keep up with hours worked because you have to work a minimum of 32 hrs.wk for full benifits. If we are out for weather we have to use vacation(sucks), so some just call in sick!

IML Gear Cream!
Re: Re: Salary Laws?

Originally posted by Jodi
I'm pretty sure it depends on if they are exempt or non-exempt.

Non-exempt - No
Exempt - Yes

I disagree. It may vary by state, but why would an employer have to pay someone for not working? Our snow days, when we know they are coming, we tell our people to make sure they have work to do at home or they have to use personal time.

Exempt vs non-exempt: I don't see the difference.

The reason I say that is because here in NH being an exempt employee you your hours vary. You could work 20 hours 1 week and 50 the next but for each week you still get paid your regular salary. It didn't matter how many hours I worked I still got my same salary week after week.

My experience being a non-Exempt employees is similiar to being hourly and I never got paid for anything.

I think someone else said it but it may vary state to state. :shrug:

If an employee is paid by salary is it true that they get their full pay no matter what, even if they do not work?

It's funny you say that bc/ I just brought that up in a meeting and they said, I'll get paid even if I don't come in?

Excellent!

However, if It's ongoing then, I'll either owe the hours or get fired!

In my job, if you are on salary, you can be a lil late or even leave later without docked time or overtime.
If you are out, that counts against your vacation/sick days.

For the snow situation, if your facility is OPEN, then those employees should not be FORCED to come in(lawsuit reasons) but if they don't show, it should be counted against their personal days....However, if the establishment is closed, employees should eb paid since they were willing to work, but can't.

Am I making sense:shrug: :laugh:

I understand what you all are saying, but I was under the impression that by state labor laws a salaried employee gets paid their salary regardless. :shrug:

*Generally* this is true.

Same goes for working overtime, weekends, etc., you don't get it, if you are salaried, unless firm policy is otherwise.

Like all labor laws, it can vary state to state.

Alright, Prince, don't be a cheapie.......Just be safe and pay em:D

:grin:;)

Originally posted by Britney
In my job, if you are on salary, you can be a lil late or even leave later without docked time or overtime.
If you are out, that counts against your vacation/sick days.

For the snow situation, if your facility is OPEN, then those employees should not be FORCED to come in(lawsuit reasons) but if they don't show, it should be counted against their personal days....However, if the establishment is closed, employees should eb paid since they were willing to work, but can't.

Am I making sense:shrug: :laugh:

You are making sense! I think the exempt/non-exempt issue relates to overtime, not people just not showing. If the office is closed, that is different, but if they can't get there - personal time/vacation.

I understand what you all are saying, but I was under the impression that by state labor laws a salaried employee gets paid their salary regardless. :shrug:

You would have to living in a really pro-labor state to require an employer to pay regardless. It would be horribly unfair to an employer to force him/her to pay people when they are not working. Again, vacation/holidays are different, obviously.

The employer is not keeping you from working, why should he have to pay you?

Originally posted by Pepper
You would have to living in a really pro-labor state to require an employer to pay regardless. It would be horribly unfair to an employer to force him/her to pay people when they are not working. Again, vacation/holidays are different, obviously.

The employer is not keeping you from working, why should he have to pay you?

Because, simply, that is the definition of being salaried.

You get paid X dollars per year whether you work more or less. Period. You (again generally) cannot be docked pay for leaving (even if for no good reason) coming in late, etc.

Of course, you can always be fired.

I suppose it could be calculated by days attended per month, but salary is how people work the hours they want, so in other words what exactly is working or not working?

If they aren't showing up, well that gets more complex I guess...

IML Gear Cream!
...anybody want to post the "Federal Fair Labor Laws" so I don't have to go into my back room and reach over all the crap to try to read them...lol

Years ago.....as a Business Manager dealing with a few salary and wrongful termination disputes (firms w/150 plus and then 113 emps), we ended up retaining a Labor Law Attorney....there are some situations were state laws are involved...and you should contact your States Dept of Labor...:D

DP

Back