• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Difference in close grip bench strength and standard grip strength...

Wolfpack22

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
In general how much of a difference do you guys see in your close grip max and your standard grip max? For me it's about 30 pounds. On close grip my hands are about 7 inches apart. I have friend who does it about 2 inches apart and he says it's about 40 to 45 pound difference in strength. When I get that close it puts too much pressure on my wrist. I actually like close grip better than standard grip. It feels like have more control, but it should be the opposite. Any thoughts?

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but close grip is for tri's where standard grip is for pecs, the further your hands go apart, the more it moves from tri's to pecs that preform the lift.

I know close grip is for tris and then pecs the farther out you grip it. I'm asking what the difference in your max is on the 2 different lifts as far your close grip for tris and your standard grip for pecs. My triceps are where my power is.

Close grip is essential in my opinion to moving your standard bench press up. Obviously the tricep does the most pushing on the bench press, so why not train them with close grip? I notice a lot of guys not doing it, and they wonder why I'm passing them on the bench press. In my opinion it's neglecting the ultimate strength exercise for your triceps. I don't think there is anything I would sub for it. Just my opinion though. I love close grip, so I'm biased to them.

I agree with close grips being a good exercise for triceps. But they should be done on a seperate day from regualr bench. It does help improve bench strength and build big tri's. It will put pressure on your wrists if you go too close.

Ok, I gotya now :nana:
I'm the other way, I can close grip more for reps than I can regular bench press. Thats on a smith for close grip mind you so its probably very close cause I never use a smith for regular bench.

I would look at it as a percentage not a total number of pounds, otherwise there is no way to compare.

I dont do close grips, so I dont know, and it WILL vary due to body structure of course, as well as muscular balance. I can only compare my reverse grip which is about 90% of what I can do with a standard grip. I will try close grip sometime within the week to see what I'm doing...

Originally posted by dg806
I agree with close grips being a good exercise for triceps. But they should be done on a seperate day from regualr bench. It does help improve bench strength and build big tri's. It will put pressure on your wrists if you go too close.

I do it on a seperate day by itself. You are right it puts a ton of pressure on your wrist in close. I get about as close as I can without the wrist pressure. I would avoid a Smith machine or at least I avoid the one in my gym. I don't like the fact that the bar can be moved like a feather. So it counts for nothing just about.

Back