• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Intensity

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
How do we define the intensity of a weight training or workout? How do we quantify it? Is there any formula for it?

I have read somewhere before different opinions (or so it seems to me). One said that intensity is the percentage of weight we lift from 1RM. For instance, 50-60% of 1RM is low intensity, 60-80% is med, 80-90% is high (or something like this, CMIIW). Another gave a formula like # set x # rep x weight for intensity. Another took into account the time to do the set, so the above formula is divided with the time to do it, or something like this. So I am confuse, how should I actually define and calculate the intensity of my training/workout?

My purpose is so that I can plan my training in increasing intensity. I think keep adding weight is not the only way to achieve this, so I need to know how actually to measure intensity (what factors come into intensity besides weight).

Thanks.

- Josh

I don't think intensity has anything to do with the amount you can lift or how many sets you can do or how much time you spend in the gym.
It can't be broken down into a formula cause each individual is different and it takes time to learn your body's intensity potential, how hard you can or need to push yourself to achieve your maximum performance.

Over time, I've gotten to learn more about my own body and it doesn't take as much for me to reach my maximum intensity level as it did when I was starting out, you will need to do the same.

Intensity is that fire inside you that you can use to get the most out of yourself. In time you learn to turn it on and off.
Too many confuse it with rage, I have been accused of being mad, angry at the weights, it's more of a zone.

the true definition would be this:

Intensity ??? The rate of performing work; power. A function of energy output per unit of time.

But in the gym it might be this:

Intensity - The difficulty of a workout or workout schedule. Or your mental "psych".

Goodness, I thought I gonna get a simple answer, but the above are even more confusing for me. CMIIW, but I think the common denominator above is that intensity is to be subjectively defined, transcending numbered parameters like weights, reps, sets, and time spent. But this makes it hard for me to plan my workouts (with intention to always increase intensity), because how do I manipulate any objective parameter while intensity is defined subjectively? Anyone with more concrete steps or examples would be most helpful. Thanks.

- Josh

Simple answer? Do more everytime you go to the gym. Push it harder, become more focused on goals, PUSH, PUSH PUSH!, and enjoy yourself:D

It's weight lifting, not quantum physics, the formula doesn't need to be perfect, just consistant. Pick the formula you feel is most accurate without causing your brain to hemmorage from the complicated math involved, and use it consistantly. I think how you measure intensity will change depending on your current routine. If you are doing EDT style workouts intensity is just the number of reps you did. For more typical workouts one of the formulas you listed is probably as good as it gets.

Originally posted by Prince
Not sure I agree entirely with that.

Ya, me either, maybe too simple of an answer there. What I was going for was trying to get that extra rep, thus doing more.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Josh My purpose is so that I can plan my training in increasing intensity.

I have an idea that might help you out. Instead of planning on increasing "intensity" let's say you're going to increase your "output". That's the direction Charger was headed. Pretty much every time you go into the gym you should strive to lift more repetitions and/or more weight than you did the last time you were in the gym. That's increased output. In order to accomplish that you need 100% intensity, which can be losely defined as "mental focus".

Thanks all for your replies, especially Bear and Albob's which I think put all the replies in clearer perspective for me. I now understand this issue better. Thanks again.

- Josh

Re: Re: Intensity

Originally posted by ALBOB
I have an idea that might help you out. Instead of planning on increasing "intensity" let's say you're going to increase your "output". That's the direction Charger was headed. Pretty much every time you go into the gym you should strive to lift more repetitions and/or more weight than you did the last time you were in the gym. That's increased output. In order to accomplish that you need 100% intensity, which can be losely defined as "mental focus".

Good answer ALBOB...I didn't know you were so smart :p

I am just kidding...I know you know a lot about this stuff...it was my turn to :ipoke:

Re: Re: Re: Intensity

Originally posted by buff_tat2d_chick it was my turn to :ipoke:

That's OK, you can :ipoke: me anytime. Might want to keep it quiet though, wouldn't want Scotty to get jealous. ;)

Oh great! Good Job Buff!
Now Prince will have to increase the size of the site to allow for AlBob's Noggin!:rolleyes:

Not so many moons ago, I asked a similar question (remember seeking psychosis? yeah I know, stupid title.) At the time, since I was grasping for anything that felt like progress, I too erred in my perception of "intensity". I have learned that it is all of the above, plus the development of the mind muscle connection....which, in my opinion, is more than your everyday "mental focus". (i.e.,I believe that there is a physiological exchange or development due to this special connection) In other words, the pumped jacked and psyched approach is not as useful as I expected......maybe when I was 15yr.s old.

Back