• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Justice Department memo detailing Protocol on using Drones to kill Americans

jagbender

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Human rights advocates were floored on Monday night when NBC News published the details of an alarming Justice Department memo detailing the protocol for sending drones after United States citizens. It's not as if they hadn't suspected that the Obama administration's top secret drone attack protocol contained some unsavory details. They just didn't expect them to be so frightfully broad. The scoop by Michael Isikoff is actually startling not for the details but rather for the lack of details. It's very vague about a decision-making process that puts American lives on the line. Put simply, the government believes that a lethal drone attack against an American citizen is justified if the targets are a) "senior operational leaders" of al-Qaeda or b) "an associated force."
RELATED: Pakistani Complaints Led to New Rules for U.S. Drone Strikes
One of those two qualifiers is infinitely more worrisome than the other. Going after leaders of al Qaeda makes sense. That's what the War on Terror is all about, right? Breaking down networks of violent terrorists and keeping Americans safe. If an American happens to be caught up with al Qaeda, someone like Anwar al-Awlaki, then well? they shouldn't be surprised if they're getting chased by drones. At least that's what we've been told so far. How and why these attacks are carried out by drones is also detailed in the memo, but we'll get back to that in a second.
RELATED: How Many Times Does Al Qaeda's Number Two Need to Die?
But what does "an associated force" mean? It seems like the guy who sells the terrorists bomb supplies would probably qualify, but what about the unknowing neighbor or the hired hand? Can we just kill them too in good conscience? Quite unfortunately, the government isn't exactly sure. The memo suggests that anyone who "present an 'imminent' threat of violent attack against the United States" qualifies for assassination "a lawful killing in self defense," but that "does not require the United States to have clear evidence that a specific attack on U.S. persons and interests will take place in the immediate future." In other words, an "informed, high-level" official can order the killing of any American citizen that was "recently" involved in threatening "activities." As Isikoff points out, the memo fails to define both of those terms.
RELATED: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Drones
"This is a chilling document," said Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union. "Basically, it argues that the government has the right to carry out the extrajudicial killing of an American citizen. ? It recognizes some limits on the authority it sets out, but the limits are elastic and vaguely defined, and it's easy to see how they could be manipulated." We've already seen some of this vague authority in action. A couple of years ago, The New York Times provided some insight into how subjective the process of deciding when to kill and when not to kill American citizens based on a top secret memo that justified the killing of al-Awlaki. That document as well as this latest leak from the Justice Department essentially says that a lethal attack, likely by a drone, is the method of choice whenever a capture mission would put other American lives on the line. Again, the documents are very vague about where to draw the line.
RELATED: Obama to Nominate John Brennan to Run the CIA
Inevitably, this latest revelation into how the Obama administration runs the War on Terror behind closed doors leads to more questions than answers. How, for instance, do they decided when to kill non-U.S. citizens? Previous reporting on the issue says that the government considers any military-aged male to be an insurgent, so it seems like pretty much anybody in the general region of Afghanistan or Pakistan could expect to find themselves in America's crosshairs. But again, we don't know because the Obama administration is keeping it completely secret, despite years worth of calls to disclose its decision-making process.
RELATED: The C.I.A.'s Silence on Drone Strikes Is Getting Awkward
This could be the beginning of an enlightening time for those who demand answers about the government's shady drone program. On Thursday, John Brannan has his confirmation hearing where the Senate will decide whether or not he's fit to run the Central Intelligence Agency. Since he's more or less the architect of America's drone war, we're sure the Senators will have a question or two about this memo and, we hope, some memos that we haven't seen before.

"They'd never do this to a US citizen!"

Oh, really?

If the citizen is a muslim and he over in the middle east inciting hate against the homeland, shoot a hell fire misslie right up up his ass, end of story

consequences suck sometimes but it doesn't mean you didn't have it coming. i would have sent a drones after kaczynsk and mcveigh if i had to before they killed all those people. if you want to play dirty don't cry foul like a bitch. just sayin':coffee:

Last edited:
we have the right to shoot and kill someone intruding into our home with intent to cause us harm before a trial too. :shrug:

Not Black Jesus? But...but...he loves the people.

Oh, wait... He didn't start this, so that makes it okay.

if i had the power of the presidency i'd kill a lot of assholes. i'd exterminate all the unreformable shitstains in our prisons just for starters... :coffee:

i'm aware it's not that easy but one can still dream :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBRyygMmTs

you gotta do what you gotta do. you can seriously bet i would not hesitate to send military helicopters in there with armed men to pick off people assaulting other people in a riot like this.

IML Gear Cream!
if i had the power and could stomp on how things are supposed to be done i'd make Obama look like his balls haven't even dropped yet.

you gotta do what you gotta do. you can seriously bet i would not hesitate to send military helicopters in there with armed men to pick off people assaulting other people in a riot like this.

fucking tell me you wouldn't ok killing the fuckers that dragged the guy out of his truck and beat him? on site, in the act, no trial.

Yes, I agree, those would've been ideal places for a drone strike. Phuquin animals!

i guess personal responsibility only applies to discussions about welfare etc but when an american might get killed for his own actions that responsibility discussion becomes merely rhetoric and just fades away. i would be the most blood thirsty potus this country has ever seen. probably wouldn't last long. :coffee:

If the citizen is a muslim and he over in the middle east inciting hate against the homeland, shoot a hell fire misslie right up up his ass, end of story

The location of their target doesn't matter. Here or abroad.

Which reminds me, anyone remember that home explosion in Indiana last year? The one that exploded under mysterious circumstances? I don't recall what the "official" cause was supposed to have been.

what happened to the 5th & 6th amendments? Looks like our govt has no desire to operate within the guidelines of the constitution. what a disgrace this govt is.

in certain situations i would allow a bullet to be due process of the law. :coffee:

why do we heap praise on the guy that catches a man about to rape his child and kills him?

where are all the liberals who said bush should be arrested and impeached for water boarding terrorists (3) but are silent about obamas killing of thousands by drones?

where are all the liberals who said bush should be arrested and impeached for water boarding terrorists (3) but are silent about obamas killing of thousands by drones?

i'm not ok with the imprecise nature of these drone strikes but if they were hitting only intended targets that deserved killing booyah. fucking just wrong some guy trying to make a living selling fruit gets taken out along with his entire family etc and no matter what is claimed you know fucking well innocents are dying. i'm ok taking the right lives for the right reasons with an unmanned device though even if they are american. in reality though i don't think everyone called a terrorist is one either by any means whether it's bush at the helm or obama.

IML Gear Cream!
what happened to the 5th & 6th amendments? Looks like our govt has no desire to operate within the guidelines of the constitution. what a disgrace this govt is.

both superseded by the Patriot Act, all made nice and legal with the fake ideological war on "terror". if you ask any good lawyer they will tell you that individual rights are not absolute and are subject to reasonable limits.

this is where linguistics comes into play, all words are open to interpretation.

You are just now realizing this after nearly 20 years of it going on?

You are just now realizing this after nearly 20 years of it going on?

sarcasm just flew over your head. if you're fast enough you might be able to get it....

sarcasm just flew over your head. if you're fast enough you might be able to get it....

Didn't miss it at all. It was stupid sarcasm and I was treating it as such.

AL Qaeda is like Kaiser Soze. Its a fucking made up story used to spook the sheep and children...and to justify executive orders.

"well, if youre not a terrorist you have nothing to hide."

That statement enrages me ^

Its usually quoted by a liberal stinkbag faggot sporting a cafepress T shirt and sandals.

Posse comitatus. Thats why we have a police force. Let them do their job and lets keep the military for foreign threats...or domestic threats from NON citizens. Yeah, if a boat filled with Gooks reaches our shores somehow, military action is required.

These "training" events are nothing more than beta testing the publics reaction to full blown Martial law. Which will happen when Israel attacks Syria and Iran, and Russia attacks Israel. :coffee:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last

"well, if youre not a terrorist you have nothing to hide."

That statement enrages me ^

Its usually quoted by a liberal stinkbag faggot sporting a cafepress T shirt and sandals.

Same here. It pisses me right the hell off. I may or may not have anything to hide but that doesn't okay the government to pry into my private affairs.

These "training" events are nothing more than beta testing the publics reaction to full blown Martial law. Which will happen when Israel attacks Syria and Iran, and Russia attacks Israel. :coffee:

the implementation of martial law in the US will have nothing to do with the middle east and everything to do with the inevitable collapse of the US economy. US workers will be milked for several more decades. the US economy will collapse closer between 2040-2060 given the current trends of extreme inequality and stagnation.

under martial law and the current US economy GDP would drop severely, and that is in direct conflict with the interests of US capitalists. but when there is no more wealth to transfer from the bottom to the top, that would be the most optimum time to implement it.

Back