• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

How do I lose weight if I'm disabled and limited in my ability to exercise

DisVet

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hello, to everyone, this is my first post so I'm definitely new to this whole thing. I'm looking for some advise on what I should take as far as supplements and any exercises that might be easier for me to start off on. I'm a disabled veteran who has a bad back, nerve damage in my neck and in my right leg. I can walk on the treadmill some, but alot of continuous reps of something or attempts at many exercises causes me alot of pain and not the type of pain normally associated with exercise. I'm now 40 years old and weigh 230 pounds with very little of it being muscle. I'm 6ft1 so it doesn't look horrible on me, but I'm definitely not the same body type as I was when in the army. I'm looking for something or some way of really boosting my metabolism and my energy levels. I take alot of morphine, neurontin, and robaxin every day along with other pain killers and just don't have any energy levels normally. I feel like the pain killers are helping my pain, but killing my enegy and then causing me to sacrifice my body even more by ruining it. I've seen alot of ads in magazines such as maxim but when I google the companies I get bad reviews, I read somewhere that a spoonful of cinammon each morning will help increase your metabolism so I'll try that, but c'mon there's got to be more I can do than just that. I never really worried about fitness and such as the military kept all the fat off with all the PT and such, but now I really regret not knowing what to do or eat or anything. There's so many different gimmicks out there I just don't know what's for real and what's just a scam to get my cash. I'm not so interested in hulking out as I am losing weight and getting trim, possibly having some stomach muscles to help support my back better.

I'd start with diet. Go on swoleme.com and follow the appropriate diet for your caloric needs. That will get you on track. Once you get your metabolism cooking I'd move into the gym.

Hello, to everyone, this is my first post so I'm definitely new to this whole thing. I'm looking for some advise on what I should take as far as supplements and any exercises that might be easier for me to start off on. I'm a disabled veteran who has a bad back, nerve damage in my neck and in my right leg. I can walk on the treadmill some, but alot of continuous reps of something or attempts at many exercises causes me alot of pain and not the type of pain normally associated with exercise. I'm now 40 years old and weigh 230 pounds with very little of it being muscle. I'm 6ft1 so it doesn't look horrible on me, but I'm definitely not the same body type as I was when in the army. I'm looking for something or some way of really boosting my metabolism and my energy levels. I take alot of morphine, neurontin, and robaxin every day along with other pain killers and just don't have any energy levels normally. I feel like the pain killers are helping my pain, but killing my enegy and then causing me to sacrifice my body even more by ruining it. I've seen alot of ads in magazines such as maxim but when I google the companies I get bad reviews, I read somewhere that a spoonful of cinammon each morning will help increase your metabolism so I'll try that, but c'mon there's got to be more I can do than just that. I never really worried about fitness and such as the military kept all the fat off with all the PT and such, but now I really regret not knowing what to do or eat or anything. There's so many different gimmicks out there I just don't know what's for real and what's just a scam to get my cash. I'm not so interested in hulking out as I am losing weight and getting trim, possibly having some stomach muscles to help support my back better.

Thanks man. If you stick around these parts long enough you'd see there's a lot of former/ret. military here, myself included. And that you and I have more in common than you think, I wasn't in the army though.

But there's nothing that you can take, except watch what you eat and move as much as you can. If you can incorporate some dumbells with a good diet and that treadmill, this will boost your metabolism more than a spoonfull of that cinnamon will.

I'm not a dr. and I don't play one on tv either. But with that cocktail of yours you should really speak to a dr.

Thanks IronAddict. I've tried talking to dr's before about the meds I'm on and the pain. Their solution, ad more meds. Makes no sense huh. I'm 100% disabled throught the military and they recently told me I needed to do water therapy every day to help with the pain, then said they wouldn't pay for it ( lol go figure.) I'd really like to come off of some of the pain meds rather than ad to them. I figure if I can drop some of the weight maybe that would be a start in the right direction because my muscles wouldn't be supporting so much and they could take on the extra stress of my back a little better.
With summer coming I should be able to get a little more active, but it's this time of year that's hardest on me, the changing into spring with it being 40 degrees one day and 65 the next. I always seem to drop about 15 pounds in the summer, but it's getting harder. I don't wanna take some generic diet pill that does nothing. I know hydroxycut used to be at least halfway decent, but not sure since they changed the formula a few years back. I'm quitting soda, lol I know that should help, but at the same time the lack of caffeine might take away some of the energy. Is there a drink mix I might use in it's place. I figure I wanna stay away from protein shakes but didn't know if there was something else along that line? I'm just one who knows jack when it comes to this stuff. I walk into GNC and get mesmerized by all the packaging and promises. I quit taking one of my pills the other day because I realized it causes weight gain and have noticed alot of my snack cravings have ended, so I'm sure that will help too.

stop breathing is one way.....Bit diet is the best way:coffee:

I guess that's kinda my question, what's the best diet out there for someone who's not as active. I know there's a million diet books out there, but I wanna know what's really best, beef, fruit, chicken??? There's so many different diets and plans for people with different goals, mine is just to slim down and as hard as it's gonna be with rods in my back, to get my stomach in better shape to support my back. What's the best way to curb your appetite when starting out??? I know this is a cop-out but I'm supporting 5 people on a disabled veteran income and junk food is def cheaper than healthy food. I can change my food budget some, but what's best? I've heard nuts are good for you, but I don't know if that's what I need or more meats or what??? I'm cutting out soda, and I quit taking one of my pills that I've gained 20 lbs since I've been on, and recently found it causes weight gain. I've noticed my appetite has changed just from that alone.

Hey disVet, the first thing you need to do, go to VA hospital, speak with your primary and ask for an Endocrine clinic counsel. When you go to endocrine ask the doc for a complete blood work including a complete hormone panel.

Im also a disabled vet and im on pain killers also. Since you're taking morphine you more then likely have low testosterone, low thyroid. I bring this up because i also suffered from low energy, fat accumulation, and crappy mood and libido. All due to the meds and i had low testosterone and low thyroid. Im not saying you do because everyone is different. But i would check to be on the safe side.

Also ask your Doc if they have a "move program" it is designed to help overweight vets take control of their diets and learn how to lose weight. After that come on here and do research. Tons of good info on here on diets working out and the like.

By the way i was in 10th Mountain division, what division you serve in.

For working out, again go to your primary and ask to be sent to PT, in Pt ask the therapist what you can a cant do, then come in here and find out what type of exercise you can safely do. Again plenty of good info on here.

If you have any questions just ask. Many many good people on here with great knowledge who are willing to help.

First of all thank you for your service to our country. I would work on losing weight and try to strengthen your core. Your core muscle support your whole body.

IML Gear Cream!
Thanks IronAddict. I've tried talking to dr's before about the meds I'm on and the pain. Their solution, ad more meds. Makes no sense huh. I'm 100% disabled throught the military and they recently told me I needed to do water therapy every day to help with the pain, then said they wouldn't pay for it ( lol go figure.) I'd really like to come off of some of the pain meds rather than ad to them. I figure if I can drop some of the weight maybe that would be a start in the right direction because my muscles wouldn't be supporting so much and they could take on the extra stress of my back a little better.
With summer coming I should be able to get a little more active, but it's this time of year that's hardest on me, the changing into spring with it being 40 degrees one day and 65 the next. I always seem to drop about 15 pounds in the summer, but it's getting harder. I don't wanna take some generic diet pill that does nothing. I know hydroxycut used to be at least halfway decent, but not sure since they changed the formula a few years back. I'm quitting soda, lol I know that should help, but at the same time the lack of caffeine might take away some of the energy. Is there a drink mix I might use in it's place. I figure I wanna stay away from protein shakes but didn't know if there was something else along that line? I'm just one who knows jack when it comes to this stuff. I walk into GNC and get mesmerized by all the packaging and promises. I quit taking one of my pills the other day because I realized it causes weight gain and have noticed alot of my snack cravings have ended, so I'm sure that will help too.

Yep, that sounds like their MO. Like I said, brother, we're definitely walking the same path. When I was a guest in the VA, I took their water classes, baby steps. Then moved up to the kinesiology lab and used their machines to build up strength. But I haven't been to the VA in many years because of their failure to diagnose my ptsd.

And another thing, stay out of gnc, they're way over priced. Not sure where you live but there are cheaper alternatives than gnc, try looking at some of the sponsors here, or use google. There's nothing wrong with having a cup of coffee every now and then, try this before you pt.

You could try one of those thermogenics to help burn fat, but try to get into the best shape you can without that stuff, it's possible and you will feel better doing without.

And good luck with everything, if you really want this you can achieve it!

My brother thank you for serving and know you have many fellow bro in arms here. Those pain meds are one of the biggest reason your not able to get to a level of fitness. The harsh compounds and what they do to your body will negate anything your trying to do. I have been there and once I weaned off them my body responded perfectly to what I wanted. It's going to be a long road, but you will really begin living once you do.

Hmmmm, could be multiple situations going on here. When did you get out of the service? The first thing I would tell you to do is star a paleo diet, whole30, or any of the diets that focus on whole foods. I personally do the Paleo diet. Anywho, whichever one you pick becomes the template you run on going forward. That's not to say you'll never have a slice of bread again or that you won't drink beer, just that your die is based around nutrition rather than destructive processes.

As for the pain stuff...Those meds are terrible for your gut. They destroy your intestinal microbiota and that effects everything in your body from pain management, nutrient absorption, immunity and digestion. That's not to say they don't have their place, only that their place isn't with daily use. Not so sure quitting them cold turkey is a good idea, but I would make it a short-term goal to reduce them with the help of your doctor. As for how I would reduce or eliminate them...A lot of the times widespread pain can have a lot to do with improper adrenal function, particularly in someone who has gone through what you have. Cortisol has an anti-inflammatory effect so when it gets low widespread pain can be the norm. I would get involved in meditation or yoga. I would probably stick to meditation first because of the flexibility requirements from yoga. What is your disability and is that related to the meds?

Finally, spend most of your day vertical, aka not sitting. You can get an activity tracker like the Fitbit and track your activity for the day. I get clients all of the me wit unexplained pain that get pretty good results with simple lifestyle modification. People need to realize our bodies are meant to run a certain way. We are not meant to be seated and we are not meant to rely on insulin as the primary means of glucose entering our cells. Most people would fix a majority of their unexplained aches, pains and low energy levels just by paying attention to those 2 things. The Paleo diet corrects the insulin situation, you need to correct the being sedentary one.

maybe it will be against the rules for posting this...and plenty of info can be found for free but for sme people a mindless approach works best

a really solid diet plan for someone that isn't terribly active is precision nutrition, just google it (although they recommend exercise of course too but can keep it easy for now)

my own dr said to me once the VA was a second chance for a soldier to give their life for their country.
with leg radiculapathy and what not it will be a lot better for you to look at a recumbent bike or at least keep things low and slow on a treadmill...
eventually when your weight comes down you should incorporate resistance training..you could even do some now with bands

if you have private insurance I absolutely recommend asking a CIVILIAN dr for a complete workup at least then you know where you stand but I'd be willing to bet everythings a touch awful now

look into training with someone who is at least ACSM certified (geared more towards rehab than a lot of other organizations)
and a fantastic appetite suppressant is fiber...whether that be apples and oranges or psyillium husk with some apple pectin thrown in

you're not in a position at the moment to make yourself insane with macros, training splits and optimizing supps...or even hormones to awful much until you give something a shot and it doesn't work
eventually weight training with some sort of stretching regiment (I like yoga) will resolve a LOT of pain issues for you...you're right about getting the weight off your belly helping your back...as will basic core training (pilates, planks, whatever)
and can you do any of body weight pt you did in say BCT? running isn't the only way to skin a cat

I guess that's kinda my question, what's the best diet out there for someone who's not as active. I know there's a million diet books out there, but I wanna know what's really best, beef, fruit, chicken??? There's so many different diets and plans for people with different goals, mine is just to slim down and as hard as it's gonna be with rods in my back, to get my stomach in better shape to support my back. What's the best way to curb your appetite when starting out??? I know this is a cop-out but I'm supporting 5 people on a disabled veteran income and junk food is def cheaper than healthy food. I can change my food budget some, but what's best? I've heard nuts are good for you, but I don't know if that's what I need or more meats or what??? I'm cutting out soda, and I quit taking one of my pills that I've gained 20 lbs since I've been on, and recently found it causes weight gain. I've noticed my appetite has changed just from that alone.

Good move cutting out soda, the worst offender for metabolic syndrome. Be sure to dump diet sodas too since they're proven to be nearly as bad, probably due to artificial sweetener induced appetite stimulation that nullifies their low calorie benefit. The thing to do is keep all sodas out of the house, forcing better choices.

I'd argue that junk food isn't actually cheaper than healthy food (strategically chosen). The junk stimulates appetite via sugars, refined flour, and salt, driving you to eat (and buy) more than you otherwise would with a properly functioning appetite. Long term health problems (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc) that will obliterate your pocketbook are another factor. Healthy foods can be affordable: Buy the cheapest veggies and fruit you see in the supermarket since they're usually the freshest as well. For protein go with eggs, dairy, and bulk chicken.

Good luck with the diet, and managing the pain meds... that can't be easy.

Martin Berkhan makes a compelling argument disputing "clean foods" but I would agree one feels better eating less refined foods and it does actually become a challenge gettings enough calories in.

I believe JC deen has a food list of cheap sources of protein and a section on his page for he shows you how t set up your diet.
he has a free e-book as well, jcdeenfitness.com

OH, also...for yo for income being disabled...by all means use your disability but you can alsoutilize either your post 9/11 gi bill or chapter 33 or go for vocational rehabilitation.
I would even consider the voc rehab then move on to one of the other programs

the post 9/11 gi bill pays you a BAH rate of an E5 with dependents for your zip code
for my zip code it was good for just shy of an extra 2k a month, plus they give you a supplies aloowance .which really doesn't cover text books but you can usually find them cheaper online and they pay for your tuition though a lot of states offer free tuition to vets.

Theres are a lot of town tax deductions for vets,especially disabled vets ..and if you're rated fairly low via the VA I'd think about spending the membership money for the DAV and have them help you get your rating up.
There's about a gazillion ways to save money with a disabled vet status from cell phone bills to car insurance. For financing deals look at USAA...or if you already got in while you were enlisted or commissioned Navy federal is a great resource as well.
None of that maybe helps you with diet and feeling better per se but it can help make money go further and get your stress level down supporting 5 people

Thanks, guys those are alot of good ideas. I will definitely go for a blood work-up. My family sees a private DR who's really into sports medicine. I haven't seen him yet, but I think he might be better than my VA dr who is an hour away and has a 3 month wait to make an appt. As far as soda, I've done pretty good. I've had one sprite in 3 days. SheriV I can't really go on VocRehab for re-training or anything, because they did a work-up on me and said I'd never be able to hold gainful employment with all my disabilities. They did however get me into doing simple woodworking at home as a hobby. Only problem with that was it's to cold to do it in the winter so as it warms up I'll start on that again. As far as my rating, it's 100% throught the VA. You know how they do that crazy math and have me with 170% mathematically but when they do their factoring and all they mark it as combined 100%. When it comes to my PT from basic and all, I could probably do a few push-ups, but no sit-ups at all do to the rods in my back. Ichigo, I was in for a little over 10 yrs. I was at Ft Jackson for basic and ait, Natick research labs for tdy, Ft richardson w/ 23rd engineers, ft benning w/104th trans, ft sill w/62nd engineers, camp hovey w/ 1/9 reg manchus, back to benning w/ 3/75th. I was actually attatched to the 10th mountain for 6 months with 2-14.
I think diet is the beginning of this for me, and slowly work into a bit of exercise, with what I can tolerate. I've heard alot about the DDP yoga and wasn't sure if it really works or not, anyone have experience with it? I try to stay on my feet as much as possible, but like anything I have good days and bad.

I just saw this again ...I know a bikram yoga instructor with rods in her back, she does all of the poses with no problem....I'd definitely look into some sort of yoga
utilize your gi bill if you can
you can be 100% disabled and still use it, to get the BAH that goes with the post 9/11 gi bill 50% of your classes have to be on campus and both gi bills are prorated by number of credits..use it to your advantage

they wont take away your disability rating because of it...they MIGHT reduce the rating should you ever be gainfully employed but you wont ever lose it entirely

Back