• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Starting Weight Training Again After 27 Years

Outlaw

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Having been out of Bodybuilding since 1977, I have now began the quest again of getting back into shape and hopefully will get back to the size that I once was (close to Bill Goldberg's size) less a little weight...

Having read the forums here for a while and seeing some great info passed on to fellow Bodybuilders, I decided to post my Routine and my Nutritional regiment as I have now just began the quest to regain my original size from years ago. Yes, the BB Bug has bitten again...

As I was out of shape (pretty bad), I started trying to get my Nutrition back in order beginning on May 10, 2003 and have done quite well I must say...

I am 5'10" and on May 10, 2003, my Body Weight was 211 lbs with a %BF of 27%. This is bad. As of June 2, 2003, my Body Weight was down to 199 with a %BF of 26%. Weight doing better but %BF still bad...

I began weight training on June 2, 2003 and have started using some of the same Principle Methods of Weight Training I used in the 60's starting out. But a little history first...

I worked as a Critical Care Paramedic for many years and decided to get out of Paramedicine in 1999 due to having a Testicular Tumor removed in November of 1998. Non-malignant of course. In 1998, I learned that I was a Borderline Diabetic and have controlled my Diabetes through Diet and taking only Glucotrol XL 5mg once daily. My Diabetes is pretty well under control and through my Dr's advice, getting back into Bodybuilding may end my need for the Med overall. I hope so at least. I have not been that active over the years, but the weight training should help tremendously towards ending this diabetes...

In March of 2000, I suffered 2 Heart Attacks and had to have 2 stints placed. In May of 2000, I had a 3rd Heart Attack and due to one of the stints collapsing, I had a third stint inserted. I have been taking Furosimide 40mg (Lasix) since this procedure and I have pretty well watched what I have done since then and have had no problems whatsoever. But I have been inactive over the years and figured it would not hurt to get back into the shape I once was even though I am now 48 years old...

Having consulted with my Dr., he believes that this will be good for me if I start out slowly. He recommended that I first go through a Stress Test to see if my body will allow me to get back into bodybuilding, but I told him that I feel good and that I would be able to better tell if my body would allow with my first workout which I consider would be a better Stress Test than anything a Medical Stress Test would allow...

As I had used the Weider Priniciples for years, I decided to go back and begin with the Level One Training Program I had started with in the 60's...

I use the following Workout which I began on June 2, 2003 and have began working out 3 days per week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday):
  • Standing Calf Raises - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Leg Press - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Seated Cable Rows - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Barbell Incline Bench Press (Med Grip) - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Side Lateral Raises - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Lat Pushdowns - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Barbell Curls - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
  • Machine Ab Crunches with Weight - 2 Sets of 30/20 Reps
  • Machine Ab Crunches/Twist with Weight - 2 Sets of 30/20 Reps
On Tuesday's and Thursday's, I work only the Abs...

Please note that the 1st Sets of all exercises are Warm-ups with light weight...

I will be using the above routine for about 6 weeks getting back use to using weights and using the strictest forms in any movements. Then will be setting up for the Level 2 Training for about 6 weeks prior to going to a Split Routine...

At this time, I am taking the following Supplements:

CoEnzyme Q-10 50mg (Once Per Day)
ALA 200 (Once After Workout)
Whey Protein (Once of the Morning and Once After Workout)

My diet is consisting of approximately 2,000 Calories and I try to eat 5 to 6 Times Per day, but have been watching my Sodium and Carbs. I hope as my Training continues to get between 2500 and 3000 when I begin my second stage of Training...

I must say that after my workout (which took approximately 1 Hour and 15 Minutes), I felt great. Better than any Stress Test could prove. I did wake up sore this morning, but that is to be expected. If I were not sore, then I would have not done enough. Spoke with my Dr. this morning and he asked how the workout went and I told him great. No shortness of breath and with the workout I did above, I should have been...

I have appreciated all the info that has been available here and will continue to read as much as possible...

I am always open to any suggestions and help in any areas that may need changed. I have used the Weider Priniciples for many years (way back) and have always had excellent results from them...

Thanks in advance for any help available...

For the second time in my life, I feel great...

:) Have fun, and good luck...

Great story! Sorry about your problems though!! I know as you continue with your diet and loose weight, your diabetes will be easier to control. More than likely, like you said, you might not even need medication. Just curious though, do you have a history of heart disease in your family, or do you think the heart attacks were from bad diet and over weight over the years?

Thanks silencer and dg806...

Actually dg806, I am not that overweight. One thing I can't understand is the fact of having a BF % of 27. I do believe the reading was incorrect in that I still maintain some of my muscular build from the 60's and 70's...

In 1977, I had to cease bodybuiding due to many factors (not good reasons - DIVORCE). But overall, I just lost the fire that I had for so many years. I had lifted since 1968 and by 1975, I had achieved a build with a cross between Bill Goldberg and Dave Draper. I was huge at 5'11" and 245 lbs. Arms then were 19.5 in and now, 15 in. Chest then was 49.4 in and now 44 in. I never competed cause that wasn't my interest. I worked EMS in the early 70's and this was the whole idea behind my fitness at the time...

I still have the same Structure today with a slight belly and that's it. I cannot understand how in the world my BF % is at 27. I am now 199 lbs and most of my body is very firm. Like I said, I do have a small belly which I am working on to alleviate...

I am going to go have a Body Composition done in the next few weeks and try to get a Correct BF % Reading...

In answer to your questions, Heart Disease runs in my family and my Mother passed away from it in June of 1999. My Dad and Grandfather both died in their Early 40's, but don't think this was related. Dad had Cancer and my Grandfather died due to an anuresym in the brain...

As for the Diabetes, both my Grandmothers had borderline diabetes (no meds at all). I developed this late in life in my 40's and have used my diet and the Glucotrol XL 5mg daily to help with it. Since I have been sticking to my dieting since May 10, 2003, I have decreased my Glucotrol XL from 5mg per day to 2mg per day and feeling great. Now that I am starting to work out again, I believe I may be able to get off the meds entirely. I have already stopped taking the Furosimide 40mg per day and have found that 1 Hot Cup of Green Tea in the morning keeps my fluid under control. I had not been real active up until June 2, 2003 when I began lifting again and I was sweating like a river. As for right now other than being sore, I feel great...

In 2000, I had my Heart Attacks. I guess the pressure from working as a Critical Care Paramedic along with the long hours of work per week (80+), it caught up with me...

As for my diet, I just wasn't eating that much. I would have a Diet Pepsi (Caffeine) of the morning and would hardly ever eat anything until late in the evening. Then I would have Dinner and a fairly balanced meal at that...

Well, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks to you both for the response...

This guy never posted again, wonder what happened to him?

4th heart attack x.x o.0

goandykid said:
4th heart attack x.x o.0

Now I wasn't suggesting anything like that........

:confused: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sad story nonetheless, 3 heart attacks by 48, i wouldnt be surprised if he had another

Back