• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Bodybuilding VS Social Life

kanun

renewbie
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Don't you feel that sometimes bodybuilding gets in the way of having a social life?
Example: you're with a bunch of friends, and they all want to go eat at some junk food place. It'd be too much of a hassle to convince everyone to go somewhere healthier, so you tag along. Obviously all they sell is crap for you, so you either order the "healthiest" item and make it a cheat, or eat nothing.
Or if you're gonna spend the day out with them - trying to plan ahead & taking packed meals to eat every 3 hours is a pain, not to mention you have to keep finding somewhere to whip out your meal and eat it.
Or they all decide to go drinking, and all you can think about is how it's going to destroy your liver, effect 'protein synthesis' and all this stuff...

Now I'm not trying to complain or find an excuse for not following the bodybuilding lifestlye too closely - if you want something bad enough you'll do whatever it takes to achieve it - but don't you just wish sometimes that you could just forget it all and not give a crap about what and when you eat, like the rest of your [non-bodybuilder] friends?

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest :)

Nope, because then I will look like my "nonworkout" friends:p

One has to find a balance between "living" and being a "bodybuilder". I admit I am still trying to find it though:grin:

I wish I could be one that eats to live instead of lives to eat:laugh:

Originally posted by Leslie

:lol: Me too Les, me too! :grin:

I admit I am still trying to find it though:grin:

Yeah right!! You got me fooled!!
And I'm with ya on the eating thing!:( :cry: :help:

One has to find a balance between "living" and being a "bodybuilder". I admit I am still trying to find it though:grin:

:thumb: It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I totally agree Court.....it's HARD...I'm in university...friends go out a lot...drink, eat out...etc. You get the drift....I wish sometimes I could just let go...then I look at what wouldhappen to my results and choose otherwise.

Even worse...try dating and meeting new people while adhering to the lifestyle....most think I'm a freak...maybe I am...:lol:

You are freak ;) J/K

OMG the dating thing is the worst, my dates think I'm a freak too. "Sorry we can't go to the Olive Garden because I'm gonna want pasta and OMG the unlimited supply of Bread Sticks" It is a pain to date because my dates just give me weird looks because everytime I go out to dinner I get steak and broccoli or chicken and broccoli. Or sneaking shakes into the movies, not being able to drink. I could go on and on and on.............

Yup its a pain in the ass at times but its my choice and YES, I do want it bad enough so I'm gonna do it. :thumb:

And in the meantime, while I eat my chicken and flax, if anyone does find that balance let me know :D

Nope because I believe there is no such thing as limited daytime hours...

I can usually get around to everyone that I need to when I need to

In other words, we don't sleep down here in South Florida!

Originally posted by kanun
Don't you feel that sometimes bodybuilding gets in the way of having a social life?

I can totally relate. It is especially hard after mountain biking because most mountain bikers love to gorge themselves on crappy food and tons of beer after group rides. It's extremely hard to resist after busting your ass for three hours and you're starving.

Most of my non-biking friends are broke mofos who don't dine out, so that's not really an issue. When we do though, they know I eat healthy so they've gotten used to me ordering healthy items off the menu.

I find the most difficult people to eat healthy in front of are my coworkers and my family.

IML Gear Cream!
IAB ... what is the harm in having a beer with your biking friends? From what I understand, you lift weights to you can enjoy biking more and you're not that concerned about bb per say ... is that a correct assumption?

Originally posted by naturaltan
IAB ... what is the harm in having a beer with your biking friends? From what I understand, you lift weights to you can enjoy biking more and you're not that concerned about bb per say ... is that a correct assumption?

That's correct, but I also want to keep a lean look. I've worked hard to lose 16 lbs and I'd like to keep it off. I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a lot of muscle on my narrrow frame. I usually ride three or four times a week, and multiple beers after every ride adds up to a lot of empty calories. That said, I will have two or three beers once a week after a ride.

cool! That's sort of what I thought.

Re: Re: Bodybuilding VS Social Life

Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I find the most difficult people to eat healthy in front of are my coworkers and my family.

I agree! Coworkers are the absoolute worst:rolleyes: You get the people that always comment "eatting AGAIN?" "what is THAT?" "Why are you eatting THAT?" Or you get the ones who feel the need to report to you what they ate during the day and ask for your thoughts...which they don't listen to anyway:rolleyes:

My family has already accepted the fact I am a plastic tubberware carrrying junkie. In fact my Mom lent me her huge Igloo cooler for me when I went away to CT this past weekend:laugh:

Re: Re: Re: Bodybuilding VS Social Life

I am a plastic tubberware carrrying junkie.

I hear you on that. At the end of the week I probably take home 2 bags of tupperware from work....

Then you get the ones that ask "how do stay so thin when you eat all the time?" I just grin and say bingo!

Last year when I first really changed my eating habits it was easy cause Fade was eating clean too and my son had just started going to the gym, just started high school and wanted to lean out and get cut (for the girls, you know he's a little stud ;) ) anyway...

After the holidays I wanted to get back on track only this time it was really hard b/c fade was eating all kinds of junk. It got to where I couldn't send him to the store b/c he'd come back with ice cream and key lime pie and all kinds of crap. Really made it difficult for me. Fortunately, he is finally getting back on track which is making it much easier for me to eat clean again.

My co-workers are used to my eating habits... one of them used to BB when she was younger with her first husband, so I actually have someone to talk to about this kind of thing!!!

Look how discustingly out of shape so many people are, and my answer is thusly no. I am fine with cheating now and again, but overall I try to stick to the dieting guns somewhat.

I say FUQ EM ALL...
You should not become what you are fighting against because of others...
If you really want this,you will do it!!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I am generally on a rollercoaster type deal. I may like to party alot during the summer, but then during fall I may go into a training/diet kick. I train all throughout the seasons, I am just more intense during the non-partying ones. I guess it is a self-set form of periodization. As a result of this, I generally keep 2 sets of friends: The ones I party with, and the other ones who I camp/fish/do outdorr things with. i figure that the reason I am doing this is to prolong my life, but what is life without a little fun every now and again.

IML Gear Cream!
When I was competing and trying to reach certain goals, I just didn't worry about them. Besides, most of the time friends are highly over-rated. lol

Or you get the ones who feel the need to report to you what they ate during the day and ask for your thoughts...which they don't listen to anyway

OMG this happens to me almost everyday! :rofl: You get to the point you just say screw it and nod your head up and down and agreeing with everything they say.

Jodi...Leslie...I totally know what you mean...why do people think they need to tell me what they've had to eat so far...like I care...it's ok once and awhile but damn...it happens like...welll...hmmm.....TOO OFTEN:yell: :mad: :headbang: :evil2: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Originally posted by Dale Mabry
I am generally on a rollercoaster type deal...

I feel the same way. I'm always trying to find a balance between health/fitness and being a young guy who wants to have fun with his friends. I usually lose control a little during the warmer months, and get down to business when its colder. My friends all know by now how dedicated I am and are generally cool about it. The hard part is having the will power to drink a few beers while they're throwing back 12. :cry:

The most difficult problem with being this into bodybuilding isn;t sticking to the diet/training, it is explaining to people why you do it. lol

I agree Jodi, dating is hell.

I also hate when people ask why are you eating that? or Is this okay to eat? Is this bad? Do you ever cheat? Do you ever eat this? Don't you ever want to eat this stuff?

I just think, Yeah I;d love to eat that junk. But then right when I am about to eat it I look around at the people eating crap foods and seeing their bodies and the kind of shape they are in I remember why I eat clean.

I have no social life. :( But I can take my shirt off at the beach.....when I am not bulking of course:D

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
and multiple beers after every ride adds up to a lot of empty calories.

Also blocks the body from being able to absorb water.

Back