• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

question for experienced trainers

Skib

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
do you still ever get sore the day after a work out? sometimes i do, sometimes i don't... i guess it depends how hard i work the muscle group and how much time it had to recover... true?

soreness doesn't always equal a good workout

Usually I only get sore after coming back from a layoff, or switching up the routine and/or excersizes used for that bodypart.

Originally posted by Mudge
Usually I only get sore after coming back from a layoff.

Yeah if you take a little time off then you get really sore.Usually I don't get really sore,but I can still feel some soreness/tight especially when streching.

muscles

You muscles get used to the same thing everyday. Change things up like the others are saying. Try changing your routine or by going light for awhile and then back to heavy. The most important thing is not to give up and quit, if you keep at it you will make gains.

I hit every bodypart once a week. No two consecutive workouts are the same. (exp: one week I may start chest with Flat DB bench, the following week with Incline DB or Barbell Bench). I'm always sore the following day.

Originally posted by firestorm
I hit every bodypart once a week. No two consecutive workouts are the same. (exp: one week I may start chest with Flat DB bench, the following week with Incline DB or Barbell Bench). I'm always sore the following day.

I do the same type of chect routine one week start with flat then incline then decline i like it a lot and it allows me to hit them fresh :thumb:

Excellent way to go Mean. Muscle confusion and exactly what you just said.

the lower portion of my bicep gets so sore when switching from ez-curl bar to regular olympic bar.

IML Gear Cream!
Malachor, just be careful. That soreness is ok but be careful. That pain can "possibly" be tendon strain. Know the difference between sore and pain. I had the same thing your talking about and for at least 3 months now I have been having real problems with my left arm in that area. Serious tendon strain to the point that just flexing the bicep causes extreme pain.

Just like you, sometimes yes, sometimes no. If for some reason you WANT to get sore all you have to do is utilize negatives, accentuate stretching movements, add volume for a day, and/or change all exercises. These things can all stimulate soreness. That said, although its a nice feeling to get sore, it isn't a necessity for muscle growth (although I still believe you SHOULD be sore occasionally or you may not be pushing hard enough).

firestorm, i never really thought about it, it is more sore than anything else expect legs. it probably is some sort of tendon strain. it doesn't hurt more than a few days to a week though. and after i switch back i'm fine and i don't really feel it unless increase the poundage on curls.

Originally posted by gopro
That said, although its a nice feeling to get sore, it isn't a necessity for muscle growth...

exactly.

I get sore occasionally, typically if I change something, go a bit harder, etc., but definitely not every work-out...if you do get sore every single work-out you will be heading down the path towards overtraining.

You can get small tears in the tendons so definately listen to the bod. Lighter weights, and forcing yourself to keep tension on the muscle are easier on the body yet seriously punishing to the muscles (in a good way). I like to slow down the reps a bit more than what you will see most people doing in the gym.

Originally posted by Malachor
firestorm, i never really thought about it, it is more sore than anything else expect legs. it probably is some sort of tendon strain. it doesn't hurt more than a few days to a week though. and after i switch back i'm fine and i don't really feel it unless increase the poundage on curls.
Well then don't switch back. If it is taking at times up to a week then that is not a good sign. Some people just can't use a straight bar and visa versa. I stopped using it almost all together for curls because I acutally get a little swollen in that lower bi (inner elbow) area after using the straight bar and trust me it isn't a "pump". Throbbing, tooth ache sort of pain. Sometimes dull and when I flex the arm it is a sharp pain. I stick to DBs and EZ bar now. They hurt it too but nothing like the straight bar.

Some people would say rest it for a few weeks but that didn't help. I rested it since the big snow storm(shoulder Injury) in which I didn't train at all and I still feel it.

the only time i use the olympic bar for curling is when i'm at home or during the summer. i don't have an ez curl bar here and i would prefer not to spend the money and get one because i only work on about 3 months at home and 9 during school. it's a great time to change bars for stuff too. if the problem would continue i would stop, but right now i'm not feeling any sort of pain whatsoever. i always knew that straight bar curls could be more stressful on the elbow joints due to the hand positions, but i didn't know it would strain the tendon.

I'll tell you what though, if your going to use a straight bar place your hands at "outside" shoulder width and keep elbows close to the body. This is a more natural hand/forearm alignment. Closer grip causes your hands to take a natural inner angle which is not a natural alignment when you place a straight bar in your hands.
Take this test: place your ELBOWS on the table in front of you (equal to shoulder width or slightly further out) curl your arm so your hands are pointing towards the ceiling and clench your fists. Be sure your arms are in total alighment and forearms are not vering outwards (yet). Look at your hands and they will be at a downward angle (pinky finger lower then index finger. Now keep elbows in same postion but move forarms a bit outwards and you will see your hands take a more natural straight alighment. Hands going from looking like this \ / to this -- -- With hands in this position a straight bar fits more comfortably and causes less stress to wrists and elbow joints and connecting tissue.
Below is the hand position I'm trying to explain.
. O
\/|\/
. |

Different parts of my body also get more sore than others.
eg In general my legs get a lot more sore than my tri's

Back