• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

10 Tips to Deal with Holiday Weight Gain

tsek0s

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
This was originally written and run back in 2008 (and I believe every year since then) and as we enter the holiday season again (with Halloween candy finally leaving the aisles, thank goodness), it?s just as relevant now as it was then. So without further adeiu, I give you the annual running of 10 Tips to Deal with Holiday Weight Gain. Enjoy!For the body obsessed or even normal dieters, the holiday period from around October through to January can be a true minefield. Between the specific holidays of Halloween (mercifully passed), Thanksgiving and Christmas, along with endless goody baskets and parties, folks can run into problems maintaining the habits they strive to follow the rest of the year.A lot of strategies exist to deal with this time, especially among the body obsessed, although I?d consider few of them particularly healthy from a mental or psychological standpoint. One is to become a social pariah. Can?t control your food at parties? Simply skip all of them. While this might avoid food issues, it?s also a way to make your friends and co-workers think you?re an anti-social asshole. Which is fine, I guess, if you are an anti-social asshole. But it won?t do much for your inter-work relationships.Another common one is to take the needed meal or food (e.g. turkey, broccoli, plain sweet potato) with you in a Tupperware bowl. I?ve heard of folks doing this at Thanksgiving dinner, usually so that they can sit and look down upon their family members with an air of superiority. ?Oh, I can?t believe you?d eat that, that?s why you?re fat.? Newsflash folks, not only are we talking about a borderline eating disorder at this point (see also: orthorexia/Chris Shugart), that kind of insanity just makes your family uncomfortable. So don?t do it. Better to stay home than be an asshole.Of course, at the other extreme are the dis-inhibited eaters who just go completely crazy and eat everything in sight, gaining a considerable amount of weight and fat in the three months of holidays. It can happen and I?m not saying that it can?t. Of course, if you?re a bodybuilder or powerlifter, you can just say ?I?m bulking? as you shovel down the third piece of cake but I?ll assume that you actually want to keep a lid on weight/fat gains during this time period. Balance please.As always, being a middle of the road kind of guy that I am, I?m going to suggest some strategies that, while not quite as disturbed as taking broccoli with you to Thanksgiving, also doesn?t put you in the trap of gorging on fudge. In no real particular order of importance, here are 10 Tips to Deal with Holiday Weight Gain from getting out of hand over the holidays.

1. Make Better Bad ChoicesI forget who I stole this idea from offhand but it?s nothing new. The simple fact, and I?ll come back to this in point 10, is that many people fall into the trap of ?If I?m going to eat junk, I might as well jam as much of the worst stuff I can down my food hole.? That?s silly.Instead, try to make better bad choices. Limit portions (you know that you don?t really NEED three pieces of cake to be satisfied). Pick the lower calorie or lower fat/high-carb stuff at the dessert table. People training hard can handle an influx of carbs acutely better than fat so pick that stuff. Maybe have a little bit of two or three different desserts, just get a taste and move on. You get the idea.

2. Take a Lowered Fat/Calorie Dessert or Dish to the PartyWhether a work party or holiday dinner, it?s not uncommon for people to bring their own thing to add to the food table. So make something that you?ve de-fatted or lowered in calories, there are zillions of recipes out there. And, please, I?m not talking about black bean ?cake? that you think tastes like the real thing.Find a happy medium between the high-sugar/high-fat stuff and clean eating. Most American desserts have about twice the sugar and butter that they usually need and, who knows, you might even convert someone into realizing that they can eat sweets without it having to be 1000 calories per piece.

3. Train with a Bit Higher Volume Prior to the EventOne of the best ways to increase the ?sink? for incoming calories is to deplete muscle glycogen. When you do that by using a higher volume (more sets, higher reps) of training, not only do you increase fat oxidation, you give incoming carbs somewhere to go for storage instead of being used for energy.You can simply bump up your volume a bit in the days before a specific event where you know there will be junk. Even a heavy training session on the day of the party can be beneficial here. And, bonus, you?ll be pumped at the party. Great for pulling that hot co-worker so you can both be really uncomfortable the next day at the water cooler.Train in a nice hypertrophy zone (get about 40 reps per muscle group) and you?ll increase protein synthesis so that incoming calories will support growth. Training also tends to acutely blunt hunger so if you train right before the party, you?ll be less likely to overeat. Well, unless you?re a typically dis-inhibited eater who falls into the trap of ?I trained, I deserve 10 pieces of fudge.?

4. Start with Lots of Lean Protein and Vegetables Before Hitting the Dessert TableThis one is for the body obsessed and dieters alike. Lean protein has the highest short-term satiating power (this means it keeps you full) and the high-bulk of vegetables helps to fill your stomach which also sends a fullness signal. I?ve yet to be at a holiday party that didn?t have a vegetable plate (limit the high-fat dip) or plate of cold cuts. Load up on that to get some fullness going before you hit the desserts. You won?t be as hungry and, assuming you don?t like eating yourself sick, this alone will do damage control.

5. Have a High-Protein Snack with some Vegetables or Fruit about 30′ BeforehandIf you?re in a situation where Number 4 won?t work or won?t be available, have a small snack before the party or dinner. Some lean protein, veggies and fruit about 30 minutes will give you a feeling of fullness and help to limit overconsumption of ?junk? at the party.

6. Consider Intermittent Fasting on the Day of the EventIntermittent Fasting (IF?ing) is a recent dietary approach that involves not eating for 14-18 hours per day and then either having an ?eat period? of roughly 4-6 hour or even a single meal. There?s some interesting research on it and I?ll discuss it at a later date on the site. But it?s one good way to deal with holiday parties.Know that you?ve got a 7pm dinner party where there will be lots of yummy food? Try IF?ing (or only have small meals of lean protein and veggies) most of the day. Unless you go completely berserk, you?ll be unlikely to exceed your entirely daily caloric requirement in the one meal. If you can train beforehand, even better.

7. Consider a Short Mini-Diet in the Days Before the EventLet?s say you have an event or two coming up on the weekend and you know that there will be lots of food and you may have control issues. Well, consider doing a short, possibly hardcore diet in the days before. My Rapid Fat Loss Handbook would be perfect, 4 days of it can actually reduce body fat by 1-4 pounds (depending on your size) and you can schedule the free meal and/or refeed for your events. Call it pro-active damage control.

8. Ok, I Was Actually Kidding in the Introduction About the TupperwareLet?s face it, you know that nothing tastes as good as lean feels, you know how good discipline feels, you know that you?re better than all of those weak willed candy and dessert eaters; you read Chris Shugart?s insane ramblings and actually take his bullshit seriously. You know the truth. You know you?re better than them and 50 years from now when you?re old and decrepit, you?ll know that it was worth it, sticking to your diet 365 days a year and never actually enjoying a moment of life.So you go ahead and take your Tupperware with chicken breast, broccoli and sweet potato and eat it while everyone else around you actually gets some joy out of life and you feel miserable, alone, deprived and isolated. Know deep down that you?re not only physically superior but also morally superior.No, really, I?m seriously kidding about this, don?t do it. If you do, I hope someone pins you to the ground and force feeds you fudge until you throw up. Just because you?re an asshole.

9. Stay Off the Damn ScaleNo matter what happens, folks often see the scale spike up after a big party; this is especially true after Thanksgiving. The typical carb-depleted trainee is especially prone to this; the high-carb intake of your typical holiday event along with extra sodium both can jack up scale weight a bit. But you know deep down it?s not really fat. The simple fact is that, unless you go nuts, you can?t eat enough in a single meal to put on appreciable fat. It?s only water and it?ll come right back off in a few days.But stay off the scale anyhow.

10. Don?t Be Your Own Worst EnemyThis goes back to what I alluded to in point 1, a lot of people fall into a dreadful trap over the holidays, figuring that if they?ve eaten a little bit of junk food, clearly they?ve blown it and might as well retire to the corner with the entire tray of fudge and eat themselves sick.I?m going to quote from the foreword of my own A Guide to Flexible Dieting here:
Then the problem hits. Maybe it?s something small, a slight deviation or dalliance. There?s a bag
of cookies and you have one or you?re at the mini mart and just can?t resist a little something that?s not on your diet. Or maybe it?s something a little bit bigger, a party or special event comes up and you know you won?t be able to stick with your diet. Or, at the very extreme, maybe a vacation comes up, a few days out of town or even something longer, a week or two. What do you do?

Now, if you?re in the majority, here?s what happens: You eat the cookie and figure that you?ve blown your diet and might as well eat the entire bag. Clearly you were weak willed and pathetic for having that cookie, the guilt sets in and you might as well just start eating and eating and eating.

Or since the special event is going to blow your diet, you might as well eat as much as you can and give up, right? The diet is obviously blown by that single event so might as well chuck it all in the garbage.

Sound familiar? Yeah I thought it might. The above is amazingly prevalent and exceedingly destructive. Extremely rigid dieters fall into a trap where they let events such as the holidays become a problem because of their own psychology. They figure that one piece of dessert has ruined all of their hard efforts so they might as well eat ALL the dessert. Which is, of course, nonsense. Say that piece of dessert has a few hundred calories, or say 500 calories. In the context of a weekly plan that is calorie controlled with training, that?s nothing.Unless the person lets it become something. They figure 500 calories is the end of the world and eat an additional 5000 calories. Instead of just taking it in stride and realizing that it?s not big deal, they make it a big deal with their own reaction.Simply, don?t do that. Realize that there is only so much damage you can do in the short-term. Apply the other strategies in this article and realize, at the end of the day, what you did for one meal that week simply doesn?t matter if the rest of the week was fine. Not unless you make it.And that?s that, 10 strategies I hope will help you to enjoy the holidays. Eat a piece of cake for me.

A lot of good tips here. I myself typically DO indulge on the special occasions. I try to just get a good hard training session in the day of the event prior to eating big.

i just take care to eat most of my meals before i cheat bro..btw all the days i train hard so i do the same after that..but is important before you cheat to cover all your meals for the day :)

I?m actually a bit scared to tell my family exactly how I?m eating, as I?m afraid they?ll call me crazy? but oh well, they?ll see for themselves when I see them again in 2 months (my parents) and in 10 months (rest!)

Back