• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

I work 4 jobs and I'm still struggling

Bowden

Elite Member
Reaction score
Volunteer Moderators of the world unite, you have
IML Gear Cream!
He expects that in this job market that he can get a well paying job with a liberal arts degree?
Pffftttt.

"he finally graduated in 2008 with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts from University of Missouri, Kansas City".

Here's what one week of juggling schedules and part-time paychecks looks like for Bingham:
- 24 hours waiting tables at Mexican restaurant Taco Republic. He makes tips plus $2.13, which is the federal minimum wage for tipped employees, like waiters.
-30 hours delivering sandwiches for Jimmy John's, which pays him $7.35 an hour, plus tips.
-3 one-hour massages, for a total of $60.
-9 hours as a receptionist at his former massage school. (The amount of money he makes working at the school isn't included in his $400 weekly pay, since it goes directly to repay $9,500 worth of student loans.)

I work 4 jobs and I'm still struggling - Dec. 12, 2013

By Emily Jane Fox December 12, 2013: 9:28 AM ET

131209153540-low-wage-jobs-bingham-620xa.jpg

Bobby Bingham works 4 jobs, shares a one-bedroom apartment with a roommate, has virtually no money saved and can't remember the last time he took a vacation.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Bobby Bingham works four jobs in Kansas City, Missouri, yet he has very little to show for it.

Bingham is 37 years old and has a college degree, but like many Americans, is stuck working many hours in low wage, part-time jobs.
Each week, he works a total of about 60 hours in his jobs as a massage therapist, a waiter at a Mexican restaurant, a delivery man for sandwich chain Jimmy John's and a receptionist at his massage school.
He brings home about $400 a week, or $20,000 per year, and has joined the nationwide movement of fast food protests fighting for higher wages.
"I've come to the point in my life where I wonder if I can ever support a family," he said. "I have no idea how that's ever going to logically happen."
Bingham's is an increasingly common story. The share of part-time workers who couldn't find full-time jobs surged during the Great Recession, more than double what it was in the preceding decade. Though their situation is improving now, more than 7.7 million Americans are still settling for part-time work, compared to about 4.1 million on average in 2006.
Related: The myth of the American Dream

Here's what one week of juggling schedules and part-time paychecks looks like for Bingham:
- 24 hours waiting tables at Mexican restaurant Taco Republic. He makes tips plus $2.13, which is the federal minimum wage for tipped employees, like waiters.
-30 hours delivering sandwiches for Jimmy John's, which pays him $7.35 an hour, plus tips.
-3 one-hour massages, for a total of $60.
-9 hours as a receptionist at his former massage school. (The amount of money he makes working at the school isn't included in his $400 weekly pay, since it goes directly to repay $9,500 worth of student loans.)

Wage wars: The fight for higher pay

Bingham shares a one-bedroom apartment with a roommate, has virtually no money saved and can't remember the last time he took a vacation.
This is not where Bingham thought he'd be. After struggling to make ends meet while also intermittently attending college, he finally graduated in 2008 with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts from University of Missouri, Kansas City. He had even higher hopes from his massage therapy degree.

"My family told me, 'just get your degree and it will be fine,'" he said. "A degree looks very nice, but I don't have a job to show for it."
But Bingham, like millions of other hourly wage earners, doesn't know if there is a possible path to a higher paying job. In fact, wages fell for the entire bottom 70% of the wage distribution during the Great Recession and its aftermath, according to research from the Economic Policy Institute.
And he feels like there aren't a whole lot of places to go from here. He can't afford to go back to school, and even if he could, Bingham said it wouldn't be worth it. He doesn't have time to take on a fifth job.

Related: Sick days: A luxury many hourly workers don't have

So he has turned to the fast food protests in hopes of improving his current situation.
He walked off work last Thursday as part of a nationwide day of action planned by union-backed groups like Fight for $15 and Fast Food Forward. Organizers say that workers in more than 100 cities were calling for fast food chains to increase their wages to $15 an hour.
Currently, the nationwide average hourly wage for fast food workers is just over $9 an hour, or about $18,500 a year.

The low-wage protest movement began with a small walkout by fast food workers in New York City in November 2012 and has since picked up steam. Strikes this past August drew fast food workers in 60 cities, organizers said.
Bingham said the protests are the only way he sees things getting better.
"The only choice I have is to go into work and do this," he said. "Looking around and seeing all these other people I work with, they don't see any other choices either."

First Published: December 12, 2013: 4:49 AM ET

$15 minimum wage lol... knowing this country, they'll get it :coffee:

so dude has a lib arts, essentially gen studies degree..lowest possible credits to obtain
works four shitty jobs with lousy hrs and is bitching about not getting by?

try adding some credits to that and interning somewhere useful

so my brother in law has a sociology degree...utterly worthless and a bazillion bucks in student debt
he also works at a restaurant but heres the diff. He works at a 5 star , he made gen manager in a year so now he makes 12 bucks an hr and still ends up bartending or waiting tables at the restaurant..so he avgs like 20 bucks an hr. big money? no...but a helluva bigger diff then some schmuck whos working fast food where the expectation of service is pretty low.

why are people so lazy? skilled labor pays more

"So he has turned to the fast food protests in hopes of improving his current situation.
He walked off work last Thursday as part of a nationwide day of action planned by union-backed groups like Fight for $15 and Fast Food Forward. Organizers say that workers in more than 100 cities were calling for fast food chains to increase their wages to $15 an hour.
Currently, the nationwide average hourly wage for fast food workers is just over $9 an hour, or about $18,500 a year."

So go ahead and disband the unions and derail this mans last recourse of action or hope to try & better his work situation and life.

I don't place any stock in what the pope says, but he basically blasted capitalism in recent days...

Thoughts on Pope's recent comments about capitalism,

"The church has been in an incestuous and rather evil relationship with the worship of wealth for a long time. Unfettered capitalism has become a religion in its own right. Preachers promoting the health and wealth doctrine and evangelical ?Christian? leaders attracted to Ayn Rand ? like Paul Ryan ? have given up their duty to serve humanity over wealth".

$15 minimum wage lol... knowing this country, they'll get it :coffee:

if you think $15/hr is a lot of money, you've never made any meal money because it's peanuts. we got paid that in the mid 80's for landscaping work and $20/hr to shovel snow when we were in high school.

$150-$350/hr is a lot of money.

if you think $15/hr is a lot of money, you've never made any meal money because it's peanuts. we got paid that in the mid 80's for landscaping work and $20/hr to shovel snow when we were in high school.

$150-$350/hr is a lot of money.

it's a lot of money to sit in an air conditioned building and put mayonnaise on bread :coffee:

^^ This honestly...this should be the kind of work some teenager or someone with no education does...and even then you can better yourself with a skilled trade. I'm sorry but there it is. I think the real problem is insane inflation on everything with everyone using the excuse of outrageously inflated petroleum prices.

I work in a skilled trade now and avg (its piece work so its an avg) $60 an hr. This affords me the luxury of working part time so my daycare isn't excessive.. Any monkey with some knowledge of construction and the ability to use microsoft office products could learn my job in a week...but the truth of the matter is I think some people TRULY don't want to work.
Theres heavy lifting and travel involved in my job and that turns a lot of people off.

IML Gear Cream!
^^ This honestly...this should be the kind of work some teenager or someone with no education does...and even then you can better yourself with a skilled trade. I'm sorry but there it is. I think the real problem is insane inflation on everything with everyone using the excuse of outrageously inflated petroleum prices.

I work in a skilled trade now and avg (its piece work so its an avg) $60 an hr. This affords me the luxury of working part time so my daycare isn't excessive.. Any monkey with some knowledge of construction and the ability to use microsoft office products could learn my job in a week...but the truth of the matter is I think some people TRULY don't want to work.
Theres heavy lifting and travel involved in my job and that turns a lot of people off.

Now you got me back to thinking you have a dick.....:coffee:

My problem is that people like this can't make enough money to get by and I see fat fuckin trash at the supermarket buying steak and ice cream with govt access cards and putting that shit in the back of a 2 year old Escalade, And I know they ain't working at all.

My problem is that people like this can't make enough money to get by and I see fat fuckin trash at the supermarket buying steak and ice cream with govt access cards and putting that shit in the back of a 2 year old Escalade, And I know they ain't working at all.

when I was 16 I bagged at the local grocery store.. can't tell you how often I saw this when taking these scumbag's groceries out to their cars :coffee:

I blame this fucked up mentality on the schooling system. It has effectively brainwashed almost Everyone into thinking they cant make any money without getting a college degree... which is not true at all. if people would stop bitching and waiting for big brother to wipe their ass and wash their dishes after dinner, and get up start THINKING for themselves and get creative they could put together a nice income fairly quickly. I moved down to FL and within 2 years I was making over 100k with just skilled labor and mostly part time one off jobs. But I hustle, I don't wait for a job in the paper I ask people if they need help, I check craigslist for people looking for help, I advertise on there too, and now I am well known enough that I don't have to advertise and I'm still as busy as I want to be. I am also the only income earner in my home. My wife stays home and homeschools my son because I don't want any parts of the school system, its fucked and makes brainwashed retards for the most part.

This guy could do so much better if he bought a lawn mower and started cutting grass on the weekends, but I bet that never occurred to him. and now all these people are strapped with school debt and most will default, the schools know it but it makes good little non thinking citizens so they do it anyway. The school bubble is bigger than the housing bubble it just hasn't popped yet...

oh one more thing if min wage goes up then so do expenses for the most part. I know lam disagrees here. so there still stuck at the bottom but witheven more people because everyone who made $15/he before is not a minimum wage earner and now considered at the poverty line where they were middle class+/- before. so raising min wage while it seems great, actually does quite a bit to destroy middle class. everyone wants more middle class but this is nto the way. entitlements do not help one think for themselves. Remember back when you did not have a calculator how you could actually do most math in yoru head. but now that you have something to do it for you even basic math seems nearly impossible...

I made $20k a year working part-time while going to school full-time so fuck that guy.

As soon as I read liberal studies i laughed. Thats a bogus degree, its like having no social life and going into communications. Just like in the military your choice your rate your choice your fate. My wife wanted to be an athletic trainer knowing they make peanuts compared to P.A's and Physical Therapists with the same education just a different path. She makes 20$ an hour with a masters and our PA's make 10-13k a month. She choice that path and i told her i dont want to hear her bitch about it. If she wants to complain go to PA school.

There is no reason a McDonalds worker should make 15$ an hour maybe if your the floor manager, I can see better benefit packages for full time staff but lets get serious how hard is it to work an assembly line for fast food. If you expect to take care of your family with no education and your only talent is making a dbl 1/4 lber then your screwed you better take your ass to night school and use some of that financial aid and gov't money for education.

here is my observation some one who is 30 years old working fast food is lazy, does not want to challenge or better them selves. there may be a 1% that got stuck there and doing it because its there only option after losing there good job but in the median of people a 30 year old working a job made for a teenager is not motivated at all. Giving more money to people for no reason at all because they refuse to better them self will not help the economy. If you are proven to not be able to manage finances do you really think the additional minimum wage is going to go to savings and caring for their family?

I believe in providing to those who bust their ass and work hard, not give a hand out to everyone because you feel guilty there is a poor class in America. Shit our poor class is richer then 99% of the worlds poor class. If your lower income and you have a roof, flat screen tv and a ps3 you cant be bitching that much. Go to Thailand then complain.

so dude has a lib arts, essentially gen studies degree..lowest possible credits to obtain
works four shitty jobs with lousy hrs and is bitching about not getting by?

try adding some credits to that and interning somewhere useful

You nailed it sister. Go ahead and get the degrees in lib arts, women's, black, native studies, then try to translate those to the work world. Better off trying to become the best barrista at Starbucks. You will make more money.

here is my observation some one who is 30 years old working fast food is lazy, does not want to challenge or better them selves.

As someone that grew up among the poorest people in the nation, I make this one observation: the vast majority of poor people deserve to be poor. They make no real effort to change their station. They don't try to save money by purchasing less or putting it into an account. They don't take advantage of resources such as the library, Internet or cheap (sometimes free) educational programs. "But, but, they don't know any better," is the common plaintive wail I hear when in reply to my statement. What, they don't know you can make more? They don't see middle or upper class people? They don't know about learning from library, Internet or schools?

If people only did what they'd seen before, then we'd all be ape sitting in tree flinging shit at each other. There's a reason that, as you move up the fiscal ladder, there are less and less because it's a simple fact that it mirrors the percentages of the population that want to put forth that much effort. "Hey, there are those people that are born into wealth!" I've heard that one, too. Behind each person that was born rich is, someone in their ancestry, a person that made the wealth. I know it's also "in" to talk about how lazy the rich are and that they don't know anything of value. It's true that some don't, but most do. Why? Because their parents teach them. Either explicitly or simply by watching. Want on a book on that? Read "Rich Dad, Poor Day" by Robert Kyosaki (don't bother with any of his other books, he simply rehashes). "But look Paris Hilton! He grandfather made the money and she's just living off of it!" You might give as a specific example, which would show that you're not getting it. Yeah, she's living off her inherited wealth, but she was also smart enough to make herself her own business. She had her own TV show, merchandise, appearances, and more. That woman that you thought was stupid still probably made more money on her own than you did.

Don't misunderstand me, far too many of the financial elite are abusing their power at our cost, but not all of the do. Nor does that have much bearing on one's individual ability to attain a better standard of living. What's also true is that most people take the easy path, the life less traveled...and they bitch and moan the entire time, looking for a free handout.

Not every poor person deserves to be poor. Those are the men and woman who will end up doing something to move up from that low financial station. The rest will remain, deservedly so, at the bottom. Put another way, the way out for those that shouldn't be poor are already there.

Sometimes those fancy cars are right off the dealer lots. Pop in for a test drive and keep it long-term. That's how some people can afford them.

IML Gear Cream!
I made $20k a year working part-time while going to school full-time so fuck that guy.

I made 28k-30k while going to school. However, I think that ruined me. I didn't know how lucky I was at the time, and I always thought that things were suppose to get even better. I wish I had never gone to school. It was the worst mistake I ever made. I would be debt free and happier.

As someone that grew up among the poorest people in the nation, I make this one observation: the vast majority of poor people deserve to be poor. They make no real effort to change their station. They don't try to save money by purchasing less or putting it into an account. They don't take advantage of resources such as the library, Internet or cheap (sometimes free) educational programs. "But, but, they don't know any better," is the common plaintive wail I hear when in reply to my statement. What, they don't know you can make more? They don't see middle or upper class people? They don't know about learning from library, Internet or schools?

If people only did what they'd seen before, then we'd all be ape sitting in tree flinging shit at each other. There's a reason that, as you move up the fiscal ladder, there are less and less because it's a simple fact that it mirrors the percentages of the population that want to put forth that much effort. "Hey, there are those people that are born into wealth!" I've heard that one, too. Behind each person that was born rich is, someone in their ancestry, a person that made the wealth. I know it's also "in" to talk about how lazy the rich are and that they don't know anything of value. It's true that some don't, but most do. Why? Because their parents teach them. Either explicitly or simply by watching. Want on a book on that? Read "Rich Dad, Poor Day" by Robert Kyosaki (don't bother with any of his other books, he simply rehashes). "But look Paris Hilton! He grandfather made the money and she's just living off of it!" You might give as a specific example, which would show that you're not getting it. Yeah, she's living off her inherited wealth, but she was also smart enough to make herself her own business. She had her own TV show, merchandise, appearances, and more. That woman that you thought was stupid still probably made more money on her own than you did.

Don't misunderstand me, far too many of the financial elite are abusing their power at our cost, but not all of the do. Nor does that have much bearing on one's individual ability to attain a better standard of living. What's also true is that most people take the easy path, the life less traveled...and they bitch and moan the entire time, looking for a free handout.

Not every poor person deserves to be poor. Those are the men and woman who will end up doing something to move up from that low financial station. The rest will remain, deservedly so, at the bottom. Put another way, the way out for those that shouldn't be poor are already there.

there is actually a web site that will allow you to self teach your self ivy league and MIT material for free. You get all the material and E-Books. My brother in law told me about this site. He just had a guy apply for an aerospace engineering job with a GED only. He wasnt going to hire him, but wanted to meet him to see what gave him the idea he could apply for a job that maybe only 2% of America could qualify for. Were talking about redesigning satellites, and high end engineering. The guy brought in a binder with all of his research, CAD, and showed him concepts he has designed while self educating him self. He basically got an MIT education without the paper.

My brother in law was blown away that he gave him a practical test to make sure it was his work and the guy was hired on the spot. Told him he had a 6 month probation window at 80k and if he proves him self because it is a risk hiring him then he will get a contract and bump to 120k with housing and a car supplied to him.

It really falls under how bad you want something. It doesnt matter if its a job, a sport, or a video game. If you want to excel at things you have to make sacrifices. There are stories of pro gamers (yes im a geek im an IT) that lived on couches and barely had cash to pay bills just so they can game all day and practice. There is a guy that calls him doublelift was homeless and now hes an international star in the gaming community.

If i worked at McD's and knew thats all i could do and didnt want to educate my self the first thing i would ask is what do i need to do, to earn a management position then bust my ass to that. Then once i get there ask the next question what do i need to do to get to the next higher position. If you setting for burger maker you will all ways be a burger maker. We should not adjust your salary because you have no drive to better your self.

just to point out the obvious, 10 years ago gas was less than $1 a gal. so on average I paid $35 a week in fuel. and a 2 bedroom apartment cost me $800 a month now I spend about $800 a month in gas and an average apartment is more than $1500. $15 dollars an hour is about $600 a week before taxes I make about that much in one day, doesn't seem like that much money.just sayn

What the fuck is Bobby Bingham smiling about then, I would be embarrassed as a 37 year old man with a college degree to even let that go public, evidently he planned to fail, or failed to plan, LOSER

What the fuck is Bobby Bingham smiling about then, I would be embarrassed as a 37 year old man with a college degree to even let that go public, evidently he planned to fail, or failed to plan, LOSER

wow I totally missed that...what a fucking loser lol :daydream:

lets not forget that our govt is destroying the value of dollar which plays a huge role as well. And we can thank the federal reserve for that as it turns 100 years old this month while it devalued the dollar 96% since it's creation.

"So he has turned to the fast food protests in hopes of improving his current situation.
Currently, the nationwide average hourly wage for fast food workers is just over $9 an hour, or about $18,500 a year."

So go ahead and disband the unions and derail this mans last recourse of action or hope to try & better his work situation and life.

I don't place any stock in what the pope says, but he basically blasted capitalism in recent days...

Thoughts on Pope's recent comments about capitalism,

"The church has been in an incestuous and rather evil relationship with the worship of wealth for a long time. Unfettered capitalism has become a religion in its own right. Preachers promoting the health and wealth doctrine and evangelical ?Christian? leaders attracted to Ayn Rand ? like Paul Ryan ? have given up their duty to serve humanity over wealth".

Did you notice yet that the pope is announcing that the Catholic church is selling the Vatican mansion that the Pope lives in, all other Church property around the world and donating the proceeds to feeding and sheltering the poor and homeless?

As to "this man", he needs to understand that the opinion of other people in the world is that they do not owe him a living wage and he is not entitled to other peoples money by the government taxing those people and then redistributing their income to him just because his father screwed his mother and nine months later he was born.

oh one more thing if min wage goes up then so do expenses for the most part. I know lam disagrees here. so there still stuck at the bottom but witheven more people because everyone who made $15/he before is not a minimum wage earner and now considered at the poverty line where they were middle class+/- before. so raising min wage while it seems great, actually does quite a bit to destroy middle class. everyone wants more middle class but this is nto the way. entitlements do not help one think for themselves. Remember back when you did not have a calculator how you could actually do most math in yoru head. but now that you have something to do it for you even basic math seems nearly impossible...

Try looking into where some companies allocate their cash after operating expenses.
Many of them could afford to pay their workers a living wage without raising prices, but in the case of companies like Wal-Mart they use it to buy-back 15 billion dollars worth of stock and pay out dividends so that the owners of the company and their executives that own stock in trusts and stock options and their investors receive that cash in capital gains and dividends that are taxed lower than ordinary income is.

At the same time they give their low wage and benefit employees directions to federal and state welfare offices in all the states they operate in so those employees can apply for food stamps and other taxpayer funded welfare programs.

Something very wrong here.
It's called corrupt capitalism, the end of trickle down supply side economics.
All boats are not being lifted at the same time corporate profits are at an all time high.
The result is a destabilization of society, a large increase in the numbers of people in the working poor economic class and an increase in socialism.

And you think that raising the minimum wage will fix this issu? it will only make it worse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It isn't really a minimum wage issue, it's a stagnant wage issue.

Back