• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Shoulder work for Bench increase??

sneedham

VP of LIFE
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I do not usually work shoulders for strength because IMO they get a lot of secondary and direct work through other exercises. My question is if I start to train them for more strength and size how much can I expect my bench to increase? I do not know if this question can be answered definitively but maybe some strong opinions....Thanks in advance..

I do not usually work shoulders for strength because IMO they get a lot of secondary and direct work through other exercises. My question is if I start to train them for more strength and size how much can I expect my bench to increase? I do not know if this question can be answered definitively but maybe some strong opinions....Thanks in advance..

Anterior Deltoid

At least you understand that the anterior deltoid get a lot of work.

If you preforming strength work, adding some anterior deltoid hypertrophy movements will be effective.

However, there is literally another side to this...

"You Can't Shoot A Cannon From a Canoe." Dr. Fred Hatfield

The foundation of a strong bench press lies in strong posterior deltoids, rotator cuff.

The stronger you posterior chain is the greater the foundation that you have to push from in a bench press.

Baseball Pitcher's Careers

Research shows that one of the reasons some major league baseball pitchers have long careers while other have short ones is posterior chain strength.

Pitchers with a strong rotator cuff usually have longer careers.

Pitchers with weaker a weaker rotator cuff traditionally have shorter careers.

Cannon and Canoe

Think of throwing (using your anterior deltoid) as your cannon.

Think of you external rotator cuff as the platform/foundation that you fire your cannon from.

Firing you cannon from a canoe isn't going to work.

You need to fire you cannon from a solid platform that doesn't move (battleship or from land).

Posterior Chain Battleship

Certainly, some hypertrophy anterior deltoid training will help.

However, even more importantly is increasing you strength and the mass of your posterior chain.

The posterior chain IS the platform you going to launch from.

Kenny Croxdale

Thank you,
I believe this is why I also have a muscle imbalance in this area thus shoulders tend to want to roll forward. I will work on your suggestions....

Back