• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Paleo-style eating: first impressions

IML Gear Cream!
Most certainly! I'm not an expert of anything, I'm just putting what I know out there. If that 70 pound loss involves a high level of fat, then get ready for the fat to just melt off. I'm just going from 214 to down around 195 and that's what happened to me.

I started fluctuating between 215-220 before Paleo 4 years ago and planned to go to 195, I hadn't been below 200 since college 15 years ago. I'm currently at 185 and perfectly happy. I also fast once a week for 18-24 hours.

You shouldn't avoid carbs, especially if you are training in the glycolytic energy pathway. Potatoes, and tubers are fine, as is fruit,

Now that's interesting. The Paleo diet book my wife bought shows potatoes as being on the do not eat list. It says people living in the Paleolithic era would not have had the tools to dig them up with so they wouldn't have eaten them.
I'm not yet familiar with the term glycolytic pathway, will they discuss that in the Paleo book? I mean I can figure out what it means by breaking glyco lytic down but I'm not sure I totally understand it. Can you elaborate on it? Thanks.

Now that's interesting. The Paleo diet book my wife bought shows potatoes as being on the do not eat list. It says people living in the Paleolithic era would not have had the tools to dig them up with so they wouldn't have eaten them.
I'm not yet familiar with the term glycolytic pathway, will they discuss that in the Paleo book? I mean I can figure out what it means by breaking glyco lytic down but I'm not sure I totally understand it. Can you elaborate on it? Thanks.

Glycolytic means sugar burning, so higher intensity stuff such as weightlifting. Prehuman ancestors likely ate tubers and dug them up. Digging in the ground with a stick was certainly a step or 2 before developing atlatls and spears and hunting game. So if you want to say that digging up tubers is too recent, eating muscle meats on the reg is even more recent so I'm not sure which book you have. Some of the older stuff is kind of dated on the Paleo diet and I know a few people who have said certain thing were bad in teh past have rescinded a lot of it. The Paleo diet isn't really about not eating foods that weren't available back then, olive oil wasn't available back then and is really healthy, same with broccoli. The paleo diet is about identifying foods that may be problematic because they are novel from an evolutionary standpoint. Potatoes are fairly innocuous, but if you eat white potatoes remove the skin. The primary foods to avoid are grains, legumes and dairy as they contain novel proteins that we cannot break down, leaving long chains of peptides for bacteria in our gut to ferment. Some people can get away with eating small amounts of certain grains, legumes or dairy, and some grains and legumes are less problematic than others. Raw dairy also appears to be less problematic than pasteurized. I eat 2-3 sweet potatoes a day. The other things to avoid are seed oils like canola and soybean oil. Stick to olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee. Olive oil is ok because of it's strong track record in clinical research, those other oils are potentially inflammatory and have no scientific backing.

I found this on potato skins:

If the first thing you do before cooking a potato is peel off the skin, you're not alone. Although many people choose to peel the skin away from the potato before cooking and eating, leaving the skin on could be a healthier choice. The potato skin not only adds fiber and nutrients, but it also helps the flesh of the potato retain its nutrients.

Awesome, thanks for the info on potatoes guys!

Dale is saying remove the skin 1st, I'm hoping he can enlighten me :)

It makes sense to me to leave the skin on to help keep the nutrients in. I'm not sure if Dale meant to remove it before cooking or just to remove it before you eat it. What do you say Dale?

The skin has problematic proteins that we have a difficult time digesting. It also contains antinutrients that affect absorption of other nutrients. Don't look at potatoes as a nutrient source, look at them as a starch source. It probably won't kill you to eat the skin, I just avoid it because when you remove most other starch sources potatoes take center stage.

Dale is the skin problematic for sweet potato as well?

Not that I am aware of. Most eat the sweet potato skins.

The white ones with a purple flesh mashed with a little coconut oil ... Thanks me later :)

I started fluctuating between 215-220 before Paleo 4 years ago and planned to go to 195, I hadn't been below 200 since college 15 years ago. I'm currently at 185 and perfectly happy. I also fast once a week for 18-24 hours.

I think this is where I'm headed.

I weighed myself again today and I'm still at 201. Crazy. That makes is a total of 13 net pounds lost, with somewhere around 4 pounds of muscle gained. I'm still a weak bitch, but I did a 1RM of squats at 360.

I think I'll start a sticky for a Paleo thread if we can get more peeps to jump in. I can post a bunch of blogs and stuff like that. The human gut project is one of my faves, but there are tons and I have written a few blogs going behind the science of Paleo and tips.

I'd be interested for sure Dale, just 3 days into Paleo and hit my first carb fog but otherwise I feel great.

Sticky it is

I made this thread a sticky because the discussion is great for all levels of paleo dwellers.

Dale - I'd love to see a sticky covering your blogg and other resources!

I'd also be down with a sticky.

What is a "carb fog"?

Brain fog from a lack of carbs. When you remove carbs there is a small period of time where you are not yet metabolizing fat effectively due to high insulin levels and a lack of carbs in the diet. Coconut oil is a good way to circumvent this issue. So could eating Paleo friendly carbs like fruit and tubers.

IML Gear Cream!
I made this thread a sticky because the discussion is great for all levels of paleo dwellers.

Dale - I'd love to see a sticky covering your blogg and other resources!

I'll try to get on it this weekend.

Brain fog from a lack of carbs. When you remove carbs there is a small period of time where you are not yet metabolizing fat effectively due to high insulin levels and a lack of carbs in the diet. Coconut oil is a good way to circumvent this issue. So could eating Paleo friendly carbs like fruit and tubers.

Ah, good to know. I don't think I went through that because I really eased into low carbs. By the time I started paleo I was already more-or-less eating that way.

I need to change my Die-t. Im going to get down with this. :winkfinger: Good info Doms.

Glad to share, man!

I love this diet. I'm never coming off. The health benefits are just too great. I mean, I like the weight loss, but that's just icing on the cake.

Now I know I'm not the only one.

A business acquaintance and I discovered that we both do paleo. During the conversation he mentioned how, after eating grain-free for some time, he realized that his body was talking to him. "I'm hungry. I want vegetables. No, I don't want spinach. I want a carrot." Stuff like that. Which is exactly how I am now. So it's something that you should look for after you start eating paleo -- it took about three weeks for me.

6 days into Paleo and I feel great, have had zero hunger and being very strict and it shows. Brain fog is gone and it is nice to feel satisfied after a meal yet still eat what I want.

Back