• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Paleo-style eating: first impressions

DOMS

Metrosexual
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So...I've started eating a paleo-style diet. I should note that I started eating that way before I found out that it was a style of eating. I'd read so much on the ill effects of sugar and processed grains that I decided to cut back to next to nothing. But I knew I'd need carbs -- I'd already read about the downside to Atkins -- so I decided to eat fruit and vegetables. Then Dale and Capt'n turned me on to paleo. A friend gave me a copy of Primal Blueprint by Mark Sission. It's pretty much the paleo diet, but takes into account that we live in a modern world with modern considerations. In practice, it's a bit less restrictive than the paleo diet as outlined by Loren Cordain (who created the diet). Loren is a like a Shiite-Paleo Dieter (minus the suicide vest) and Mark is like a Catholic-Paleo Dieter (minus the child diddling).

I've been at it for almost six weeks, so my observations are just short-term.

First off, the fat continues to melt away. I've lost 8 pounds in the last 6 weeks. That includes posting higher numbers at the gym. I also drink plenty of water (I piss like race horse all day long). The point being that the loss has nothing to do with water or muscle loss. I'm willing to bet that I've lost more than 8 pounds of fat.

More important than that: eating has lost its urgency. I eat paleo-approved stuff all day long. I've only been hungry once -- just this morning actually. Then again, I just didn't feel like eating during the second half of yesterday. And that's the more important part. I used to crave all sorts of foods all the time. The physiological reason as given by Mark is that, because of over-consumption of carbs, the body goes into a vicious cycle of eating carbs -> high glucose (blood sugar) levels -> increased insulin production -> low glucose -> craving cabs -> eating carbs, ad nauseum. I can attest to this, anecdotally at least. Eating is no longer a driving force for me. I eat when I want to, which can be anywhere from two to eight times a day. Again, with that one exception, I haven't felt hungry since I started.

I don't count anything -- not calories or macros. I just don't care anymore. I simply eat the paleo-recommended stuff. Well...I do that about 85% to 95% of the time. I'm not abstaining from grains and sugar for ethical reasons, just personal health desires. So I don't beat myself up if I choose to eat a hamburger patty with a bun sometimes. And, just between you and me, I still sometimes eat Muddy Buddies or H?agen-Dazs ice-cream. Just don't tell anyone. I started at a much lower percent, but as I've eaten well, I find that it becomes easier.

I've also found that I'm less demanding when it comes to my food. For lunch today I ate a grilled piece of chicken (cooked plain, not even spiced) and slices of avocado. I would have never accepted such a "plain" meal before. But know I like it. And I mean that, I'm not forcing it down while regretting every bite, I really do like it. I also tend to eat my veggies straight. I'll go through a tomato or bell pepper like an apple.

Another things is that I can quite eat the foods that I could before. I ate a bowl of cereal a week ago (it was Cinnamon Toast Crunch, goddammit!) and I felt sick afterward. The idea of eating another bowl of cereal does not sit well with me anymore. This I'm familiar with though. I've been here before when I ate clean (albeit on a diet with grains).

Lastly, I've found that getting up each morning is getting easier. I'm not exactly jumping out of bed, but I'm not dragging ass, either.

Anywho...that's just my observations six weeks into eating paleo. YMMV.

It's good stuff. I'm starting a 4 week period of strict paleo starting tomorrow.

Good stuff DOMS!
I ate gluten and drank wine over most of dec-jan, put on 11lbs of bloat. It's taken me 3wks to shed it and a little more, but the 1st week was real hard getting back on track :(

Good stuff DOMS!
I ate gluten and drank wine over most of dec-jan, put on 11lbs of bloat. It's taken me 3wks to shed it and a little more, but the 1st week was real hard getting back on track :(

4 tbsp of unmodified potato starch in water throughout the day will keep your blood glucose under control and mitigate a lot of the damage that comes with eating shitty food. I take it every day. It helps build a healthy gut flora, lot's of guys are doing it, especially type 2 diabetics. My fasting BG runs 80 unless I am eating like shit, then it runs like 90. Before I started taking it my FBG ran between 99 and 105. I have T2D clients taking it and most of them see a 30 point drop in their blood glucose within a couple of weeks with no other change. It costs like $3.69 for 56 servings. It's resistant starch so you can't digest it, it makes it's way to your colon where healthy bacteria ferment it. Just don't heat it up or you will liberate the starch molecules. It also crushes your appetite.

4 tbsp of unmodified potato starch in water throughout the day will keep your blood glucose under control and mitigate a lot of the damage that comes with eating shitty food. I take it every day. It helps build a healthy gut flora, lot's of guys are doing it, especially type 2 diabetics. My fasting BG runs 80 unless I am eating like shit, then it runs like 90. Before I started taking it my FBG ran between 99 and 105. I have T2D clients taking it and most of them see a 30 point drop in their blood glucose within a couple of weeks with no other change. It costs like $3.69 for 56 servings. It's resistant starch so you can't digest it, it makes it's way to your colon where healthy bacteria ferment it. Just don't heat it up or you will liberate the starch molecules. It also crushes your appetite.

So like a damage control during the festive season?

Sounds great DOMS.
Don't know if I would have the discipline.
I do alright but my downfall is my daily non-diet, full 46g sugar 12 oz Mountain Dew.

The part about getting sick after eating something that just sounds so good is what happens to me when I eat fast food.
Smells great outside the Burger King, food Looks good, too. Tastes alright but not as good as you remember and the BAM...bloat, rumbling, toxic farts and blood stains in your underwear.

Keep it up and keep us posted.

Please get back to the child diddling in a suicide vest bit.

Good stuff DOMS!

It's not an horrific thing falling off the paleo-bandwagon. So long as you get back on that is.

The crazy thing is about this is that I can hear my body talking to me. It tells me when I'm really hungry or not. What I need (fat, meat, veggies, fruit and water). It's like a voice that's been talking the entire time and that I'm just now able to hear. Strange, but true.

I also just made some home-made creme fraiche. It has to chill until tomorrow though... :(

IML Gear Cream!
Sounds great DOMS.
Don't know if I would have the discipline.
I do alright but my downfall is my daily non-diet, full 46g sugar 12 oz Mountain Dew.

I got lucky. I eased my way into it before I knew what it was. That included going cold turkey with caffeine (soda).

The part about getting sick after eating something that just sounds so good is what happens to me when I eat fast food.
Smells great outside the Burger King, food Looks good, too. Tastes alright but not as good as you remember and the BAM...bloat, rumbling, toxic farts and blood stains in your underwear.

I went out to eat on a dinner date last Saturday. Poor choices were made. I suffered all the want until late Sunday night.

Keep it up and keep us posted.

Thanks, man!

Please get back to the child diddling in a suicide vest bit.

I try to make my writings fun for all. ;)

This...I will definitely look into.

The crazy thing is about this is that I can hear my body talking to me. It tells me when I'm really hungry or not. What I need (fat, meat, veggies, fruit and water). It's like a voice that's been talking the entire time and that I'm just now able to hear.

OK, now you're playing the crazy card. Hearing voices and everything.
One cuckoo truck on the way.
crazy-crazy-mad-straight-jacket-smi.gif

Next, you'll be hunting mammoths.

Very interested after reading your review of this DOMS. Think I will pick up the Primal Blueprint and see what it is all about.

Just wait until you get into the science behind it. It'll make you nauseated.

I thought that was the fun part. :)

I thought that was the fun part. :)

No doubt. But damn, I'm getting tired of the shit.

I take nothing at face value. I always do my research. So I went looking for the detractors of the paleo diet. The vast majority of them turn out to be meat-is-murder vegetarians. If you search on YouTube for "paleo diet", the top item is chick from TED "debunking" the diet. She outright lies about a ton of shit ("Human haven't evolved any traits to eat meat") and by omission ("trying to prove that humans aren't carnivores", we're omnivores). A lot of anti-paleo sites are Hindu, PETA, or the like. Science be damned. The other group is that-isn't-what-paleo-humans-actually-ate naysayers. They blather on about how the diet is wrong based on historical stuff, but a lot of what they says is qualified with "not clear" and "uncertain" and "must haves" bullshit. Also, neither address even the short-term efficacy of the diet.

God, I fucking hate people like that. They have their shitty beliefs and want to push them on other people. It's all kinds of fucking wrong when religious people do it, but it's oh-so-fucking-okay when they do it. I really fucking hate people like that; dicks and hypocrites.

IML Gear Cream!
So...I've started eating a paleo-style diet. I should note that I started eating that way before I found out that it was a style of eating. I'd read so much on the ill effects of sugar and processed grains that I decided to cut back to next to nothing. But I knew I'd need carbs -- I'd already read about the downside to Atkins -- so I decided to eat fruit and vegetables. Then Dale and Capt'n turned me on to paleo. A friend gave me a copy of Primal Blueprint by Mark Sission. It's pretty much the paleo diet, but takes into account that we live in a modern world with modern considerations. In practice, it's a bit less restrictive than the paleo diet as outlined by Loren Cordain (who created the diet). Loren is a like a Shiite-Paleo Dieter (minus the suicide vest) and Mark is like a Catholic-Paleo Dieter (minus the child diddling).

I've been at it for almost six weeks, so my observations are just short-term.

First off, the fat continues to melt away. I've lost 8 pounds in the last 6 weeks. That includes posting higher numbers at the gym. I also drink plenty of water (I piss like race horse all day long). The point being that the loss has nothing to do with water or muscle loss. I'm willing to bet that I've lost more than 8 pounds of fat.

More important than that: eating has lost its urgency. I eat paleo-approved stuff all day long. I've only been hungry once -- just this morning actually. Then again, I just didn't feel like eating during the second half of yesterday. And that's the more important part. I used to crave all sorts of foods all the time. The physiological reason as given by Mark is that, because of over-consumption of carbs, the body goes into a vicious cycle of eating carbs -> high glucose (blood sugar) levels -> increased insulin production -> low glucose -> craving cabs -> eating carbs, ad nauseum. I can attest to this, anecdotally at least. Eating is no longer a driving force for me. I eat when I want to, which can be anywhere from two to eight times a day. Again, with that one exception, I haven't felt hungry since I started.

I don't count anything -- not calories or macros. I just don't care anymore. I simply eat the paleo-recommended stuff. Well...I do that about 85% to 95% of the time. I'm not abstaining from grains and sugar for ethical reasons, just personal health desires. So I don't beat myself up if I choose to eat a hamburger patty with a bun sometimes. And, just between you and me, I still sometimes eat Muddy Buddies or H?agen-Dazs ice-cream. Just don't tell anyone. I started at a much lower percent, but as I've eaten well, I find that it becomes easier.

I've also found that I'm less demanding when it comes to my food. For lunch today I ate a grilled piece of chicken (cooked plain, not even spiced) and slices of avocado. I would have never accepted such a "plain" meal before. But know I like it. And I mean that, I'm not forcing it down while regretting every bite, I really do like it. I also tend to eat my veggies straight. I'll go through a tomato or bell pepper like an apple.

Another things is that I can quite eat the foods that I could before. I ate a bowl of cereal a week ago (it was Cinnamon Toast Crunch, goddammit!) and I felt sick afterward. The idea of eating another bowl of cereal does not sit well with me anymore. This I'm familiar with though. I've been here before when I ate clean (albeit on a diet with grains).

Lastly, I've found that getting up each morning is getting easier. I'm not exactly jumping out of bed, but I'm not dragging ass, either.

Anywho...that's just my observations six weeks into eating paleo. YMMV.

Dammit DOMS my eyes keep drifting to you avatar and I can't finish the damn article.... :thumbs:

It's shit like this.

The spokes-bitch for Dairy Australia said:

"To get the same amount of calcium as one serve of dairy you would need to eat 32 brussels sprouts, 21 cups of raw chopped spinach, 11 cups of diced sweet potato, six cups of shredded green cabbage or a cup of dry-roasted almonds," she says."Core food groups exist for a reason: they provide vital nutrients in quantities that other foods can?t."

All the pre-dairy humans must've lived a life of osteoporosis.

Zucco also cites recent research which shows that rather than contributing to obesity and cardiovascular disease, dairy products are linked with weight loss and improved heart health.

Good fucking god. Don't get me wrong, I still include a little dairy (just sour cream and creme freiche) in my diet, but she's trying to make it sound like a health food.

The truth is that I didn't even think about calcium intake in my diet. I just figured that I'd be getting enough from the veggies and meats. I just knew that bitch was full of shit. Just more outright lies and lies by omission. The answer to the question of calcium in a paleo-diet is found here, BTW. To the article's credit, they do mention how it works in the next paragraph. The article is actually pretty good, so you should read the whole thing.

I don't have all the answers to everything, but I'm smart enough to know what I'm being so obviously jerked around.

And the US News & World Report ranking stuff? Can you say, "arbitrary"? It sickens me the shit that passes for news these days. Especially in my own country.

Dairy fats highlight in my diet. Grass-fed butter, double cream, creme fraiche - it's all creamy goodness!

Dairy fats highlight in my diet. Grass-fed butter, double cream, creme fraiche - it's all creamy goodness!
Can you say Kerry Gold? I can get grass fed beef easy but grass fed butter is a Costco run, and even then....

Yeah I hear Kerry gold is the benchmark in the US.

No doubt. But damn, I'm getting tired of the shit.

I take nothing at face value. I always do my research. So I went looking for the detractors of the paleo diet. The vast majority of them turn out to be meat-is-murder vegetarians. If you search on YouTube for "paleo diet", the top item is chick from TED "debunking" the diet. She outright lies about a ton of shit ("Human haven't evolved any traits to eat meat") and by omission ("trying to prove that humans aren't carnivores", we're omnivores). A lot of anti-paleo sites are Hindu, PETA, or the like. Science be damned. The other group is that-isn't-what-paleo-humans-actually-ate naysayers. They blather on about how the diet is wrong based on historical stuff, but a lot of what they says is qualified with "not clear" and "uncertain" and "must haves" bullshit. Also, neither address even the short-term efficacy of the diet.

God, I fucking hate people like that. They have their shitty beliefs and want to push them on other people. It's all kinds of fucking wrong when religious people do it, but it's oh-so-fucking-okay when they do it. I really fucking hate people like that; dicks and hypocrites.

Yeah, the people who debunk it often erect huge strawmen or tackle issues that were resolved in the Paleo community 5 or so years ago. If you want to have your head spin, check out this hour-long presentation by Robb Wolf here. There is a lot of bull shit in what most people do as Paleo (I call it meat orgy paleo) and applying a type of logic in avoiding one food while ignoring it in other foods, such as phytates which are high in grains but higher in nuts. IMO, the nuts and bolts of it are that there are evoutionarily novel proteins that humans can't digest in certain foods (Pasteurized dairy, grains, and legumes). This means they can make it to the bacteria in your gut and change your microbiome in a bad way. I have a blog I am publishing on this tomorrow, I'll post it here.

It simply comes down to the point that you shouldn't be eating processed food. About the only one I can think of that's healthy is Olive Oil because there is so much science behind it. Everything else is up in the air, so it is basically eat at your own risk. If you get a chance, read or watch some videos on Pottenger's cats. It shows how processing food can have a dramatic effect on a species over the course of 3 generations. The form of processing they use is cooking, so the results aren't directly applicable to humans as cooking was an integral step in our evolution, but it is a novel form of processing to cats that they would need to adapt to. In his studies, they didn't adapt well, most were neurologically fucked up and by the 3rd generation a large chunk of them were sterile.

Dale - are you posting a copy of your blog article on this thread? If not will you link to it in this thread plz.

Back