• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Smith squats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsilf

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I dislocated my shoulder at the end of last year. My range of motion is somewhat screwed yet so I cant grip the bar and hold it in the position to do squats. I recently started doing them on the Smith machine; I can flip the release and hold the bar on my shoulder with one arm this way. Am I still getting the same benefits as free weight squats doing this? Are the Smith machine bars Olympic weight? Anyone know what the assist is on those machines? Thanks in advance

In a weigh you are getting more out of it. See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism.

KRAZIEONE

The bar is 20-35 lbs depending on manufacturer. I personally hate the ROM of smith machines but if that's all you can do its still activating the muscles which is the goal so I would say Crush it!

In a weigh you are getting more out of it. See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism.

KRAZIEONE

interesting point of view...seems like guys can do more weight on a smith machine so i'm not sure i agree
but it is better then not lifting at all

Yes. You actually can. Because it stabilizes for you also. Which is good for max weight

KRAZIEONE

Thanks for all of the info guys....so you're saying 315 is more like 290ish on there?

IML Gear Cream!
I like the smith, cause my shitty gym doesn't have barbels I've gotten use to it. I find it supportive of my lower back and I can go heavier, really loading up my quads - and they've never been bigger.

I also like to put a bench under my arse to take it to failure.

I like the smith, cause my shitty gym doesn't have barbels I've gotten use to it. I find it supportive of my lower back and I can go heavier, really loading up my quads - and they've never been bigger.

I also like to put a bench under my arse to take it to failure.
the bench thing is a good idea, im going to use that!

:homo:

No 315lbs is still 315lbs lol. Its stable so you can push out extra reps knowing you can just spin the bar and rack it if you get in trouble

KRAZIEONE

No 315lbs is still 315lbs lol. Its stable so you can push out extra reps knowing you can just spin the bar and rack it if you get in trouble

KRAZIEONE

No, im saying if I load the bar up for 315 like normal, it wont be the same because the bar is less lol

And fuck that homo shit. Nobody calls me a homo when I'm doing 410 pound calf raises on the smith rack. Who gives a fuck what people think being safe isn't a bad thing

KRAZIEONE

KRAZIEONE

You are not getting more out of a smith machine than a standard squat, and what are you talking about upward resistance? Squatting requires stabilizing high weight through an entire range of motion. A smith machine takes most of that work out of the lift. All you have to do is press up.

Now, I know the guy is hurt, and in a situation like that I agree that smith machine squats are better than no squats, but everything you just said is incorrect.

IML Gear Cream!
You are not getting more out of a smith machine than a standard squat, and what are you talking about upward resistance? Squatting requires stabilizing high weight through an entire range of motion. A smith machine takes most of that work out of the lift. All you have to do is press up.

Now, I know the guy is hurt, and in a situation like that I agree that smith machine squats are better than no squats, but everything you just said is incorrect.

I'd rep u if I were near a pc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and you have yours. That doesn't make me incorrect. Have you ever even tried to do it on a smith rack to even see what I'm talking about? Because one my gym resist you as you go up. Either way who fucking cares. It works and my 25" thighs and 18" calves don't lie. I'm sure what you do works for you and that's great. The question was raised about opinions on smith rack squats I gave my answer. The end ......

KRAZIEONE

Well everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and you have yours. That doesn't make me incorrect. Have you ever even tried to do it on a smith rack to even see what I'm talking about? Because one my gym resist you as you go up. Either way who fucking cares. It works and my 25" thighs and 18" calves don't lie. I'm sure what you do works for you and that's great. The question was raised about opinions on smith rack squats I gave my answer. The end ......

KRAZIEONE

I'm not expressing an opinion. I am stating facts. Standard squats are not even in the same universe as a smith squat at building mass. That's not opinion. That is the conclusion reached by every fucking professional bodybuilder to ever get somewhere in the sport. Professional bodybuilders do not skip squats. They might throw in some smith squats for variation, but the core of leg training revolved around the BB squat. They even call it the fucking BB squat.

See with a barbell plus weights there is no upward resistance except the weight. But w the smith rack you are fighting the weight plus the resistance of the cable mechanism

Okay. What the fuck are you talking about? What upward resistance? Do you mean gravity? When you lift free weights, you have to control 3 axises at once, x,y,and z. You have to fight gravity along with controlling 3 dimensions of space all at once. There is no harder fucking thing to do than to control a free weight. Smith machine exercises are not equal to free weights, and 315 on a smith is not 315 on a squat rack.

There is a reason that there are no smith machine power lifting events, and that reason is the smith machine is lame. Anybody who has accomplished anything knows it. You will never see Olympic smith machine lifts, because no body cares about people lifting in a smith machine. You are a moron, and I think you are a liar , too. I demand pictures of these massive legs you keep talking about, because I just don't believe you. After the stupid shit that I have heard you say, your credibility is suspect.

Ninja Edit: Oh, will you homos stop signing your fucking name. The internet has been around for a while, so there is no excuse to not understand how a message board works. Your name is next to your post, so signing it is redundant. It makes you look like you just learned about the internet 3 days ago.

Lol kelju :lol: :thumb:

Ya know, this is just ridiculous. Lol. I do both squats free weight and smith rack I really don't care what you think. I do what I do. What the fuck do you care what I do lol. I'm new to this board but after being called a moron cause I am saying I like doing both. I don't even care about this. I'm 40 and just too old to deal with a dick measuring contest. I have good legs I have for 20 years. I am an athlete and have been for a long time. The poor guy hurt his shoulder. He can't hold the bar so I presented him why I like the smith rack and trying to help a guy. Jesus Christ. Whatever go do another 3cc of cyp and leave me alone. Lol. Killin me. Sorry man to the guy who started the thread. I was just letting you know you can still get a good leg workout in and be safe.

KRAZIEONE

^^^ I'll agree, smiths don't replicate the real deal but they have their place. Welcome to IML where everyone is hormonally imbalanced ;)

Lol captn' thanx for the break. That made me laugh. Yes we are all imbalanced. But I don't think being called a moron cause I'm trying to help a guy is right. We all have the things we like.

KRAZIEONE

Lol cmon man. I gotta do what I gotta do. I just cant hold the bar right now on normal squats
in your case i understand, my advice would be to hammer out hack squats

And fuck that homo shit. Nobody calls me a homo when I'm doing 410 pound calf raises on the smith rack. Who gives a fuck what people think being safe isn't a bad thing

KRAZIEONE

well they should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back