• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

DC Training

DaMaster

Board Rep
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm thinking of giving it a go for the next few months. Just to change things up a little. I know it's not a PL routine per se but I'm curious what you all think it's affect on my PL numbers would be at the end. Increase, decrease or nothing at all?

That's would be interesting. So you are a PL'er(competitive) or do you just train like one?
What type of program do you follow? Do you train mostly in 1-5 reps. Would a set of 8 be considered high reps or do you typically integrate higher volume assistance work?
I ask this because the outcome would likely depend on how much training you currently do in the glycolytic pathway. If this is over your head just let me know. No offense, I just never really know how much people really know about training. Ya know.
If you constantly train with high load and low reps then it's likely to dramatically effect your lifts. It's a hypertrophy based program and it's targeting the mostly type ll glycolytic fibers, because they will typically grow in size larger then some of the others types of fibers. Don't get me wrong, you are still pounding all of the type ll fibers but for maximum strength it's not totally necessary. Most PL will train for hypertrophy to assist in their lifts not for aesthetics.
This is very interesting to me as I consider myself a hybrid "powerbuilder". If I were you and I still wanted to maintain big #'s in my main lifts, while integrating a hypertrophy based program, I would still hit a main lift 2 times per week ramping up for a ME triple or double. That's it though. Just a few work sets with one peak set. The rest of the workout would be high volume assistance work DC style.
I am a strength coach and quite familiar with program development for many different athletes and goals so it's kind of easy for me. If you'd like some help setting a hybrid program up, let me know. Otherwise, stick with all DC style and see what happens. Please log it though, cuz I'd be very interested.
Sorry for the lengthy reply but I love this stuff!

I've only started PL'ing within the last year and had my first comp back in March. I;m looking to progress further and get my lifts up as much as possible. However, I prefer to have some aesthetics to go along with that power. "PowerBuilder" I like that. Look like a BB but compete as a PL'er.

I started with the 531 program and moved to Westside Conjugate. I like Westside and with it yes I do higher rep assistance work but the main lifts are pretty much 1-3 rep max after some warm up sets.

No, not over my head and no offense taken. Ive been in the gym biz for over 30 years now and was premed some years ago. Plenty of biology and exercise science studies under my belt. As a matter of fact I plan on going for my MS in exercise science soon.

So what you're suggesting is a hybrid Westide/DC type workout? Sounds reasonable. Definitely would log it here. Any suggestions you may have and I'm all ears. Never too old to learn something new.

Well it sounds like your paying attention to the right people. Both are excellent programs however Westside is definitely a more effective program for a competitive PL. However, I love the simplicity of 531 with so many variables to adjust to keep making progress. I am a big fan of a linear based program for main lifts and a more nonlinear approach for assistance work, almost like Westside. That's pretty much how I train. I know Wendler says don't fuck with his program but I just love fucking with it as often as I can. Well, every 4 weeks anyway.
I do think of you were to do a hybrid type program, you may want to simplify the various a bit and maybe stick with a more 531 type for main lifts and using DC for assistance. I think DE work may complicate things uneccessarily. But yes, hybrid is cool. I think you just need to stick with a little ME work and that will keep your CNS actively recruiting those powerful fibers.
I just think that is you train too much in the longer term systems you (your CNS) will become less effective at recruiting those fibers when you begin training for max strength.
I did a hybrid 531/german volume training program for 2 macro cycles a few months back and I definitely built muscle and improved conditioning but it did lower my 1rm for a few training cycles. A lot of this will depend on how long this training cycle Will be? DC can be brutal on the CNS if your not recovering well. You obviously have been in this game long enough to know your body.
What are your thoughts?

Well, I only planned on doing it till mid August. I go on vacation for 2 weeks then and won't be working out. So basically 2 months. I've always like trying things out myself and see how it works for me. I'm my own guinea pig.

Don't get me wrong I really like Westide and think I'm doing well with it. I don't feel over trained at all and I'm making progress. So I may just add in some DC style assistance work with it and see how that goes.

Well, I only planned on doing it till mid August. I go on vacation for 2 weeks then and won't be working out. So basically 2 months. I've always like trying things out myself and see how it works for me. I'm my own guinea pig.

Don't get me wrong I really like Westide and think I'm doing well with it. I don't feel over trained at all and I'm making progress. So I may just add in some DC style assistance work with it and see how that goes.

Hey bro, It is so funny that we were talking about this exactly. Check out this article by Jim Wendler on T-Nation. http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-rest-pause-6-week-challenge

LOL - I read that a while ago and forgot about it. I think I'll stick with Westide since I'm still making gains with it and just add some DC style accessory work here and there.

I'm going to take a couple of days off this week and do my max lifts by the weekend to see my progress then start another wave.

I did DC 7-8 years ago when I was dieting natty.... Short workouts very intense. Could do 3-4 muscles in 40-45min time. With 12-15min cardio gym time was short which made the workout do able when I was on low carb or just not feelin so hot. I'm sure it could so awesome things when bulkin or carbo loaded.

all in all I really liked it.

DC is great for packing on strength and some simple slabs of mass lol. Follow Dante's old school diet and training and you can easily put on weight every week. I liked it all in all only thing is it gets tough on the joints.

IML Gear Cream!
Very important to keep a personal log of the at least the real work set. Don't slack on this trust ms

^^^ this is a must with DC... Can't make real gains without it.

I have my GF and her son doing it and they're loving it. Keeping records is vital to it's success for sure.

A question. My GF has implants (under the muscle) and we're concerned that too much pec work will have an adverse affect on the implants over time. Move them or something. So far she's content with just doing pushups being that the weight won;t change over time. At least not appreciably. Any thoughts on this concern.

They should be in a pocket that's been made for the implant... So, I don't think there would any issue there. The wife benchs more then her body weight of a regular and doesn't have any issues with them moving around.

That's good to hear. I was just worried about them moving around. Got conflicting answers from the doctor and his nurse and I figured better safe than sorry. Besides, she's not into the colored dumbells. She's doing PL meets with me.

It all depends on how her pec/ implant feels especially when loading it with lots of tension. Every situation is different. My wife had no problem for almost 15 years and then started bothering her, so they came out :(.
Anyway, she shoukd start with reasonable volume and intensity and Guage as she progresses.
When scar tissue breaks up it can be quite painful. Flyer may do this more then presses.

It all depends on how her pec/ implant feels especially when loading it with lots of tension. Every situation is different. My wife had no problem for almost 15 years and then started bothering her, so they came out :(.
Anyway, she shoukd start with reasonable volume and intensity and Guage as she progresses.
When scar tissue breaks up it can be quite painful. Flyer may do this more then presses.

Thanks bro. We've discussed it over and over and she's going to forgo bench press for now and stick with pushups. She'll continue with the heavy DL and squats plus other lifts. Figuring it's not worth the chance. Besides we paid for boobs, does she really need more 'pecs'?

Back