• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Reducing intensity to increase intensity

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all, I understand that one of the key to successful weight lifting is to always increase the intensity from workout to workout, let's say by increasing the weight lifted. But in a book that I've read some time ago, it was suggested that from time to time we should also reduce the intensity a little bit, before pushing forward again. So for instance we are increasing the weight from 70% RM, next workout 80%, next 90%, and then we should reduce to say 85% or 80%, before we push again to higher weight. The book said that without this strategy we cannot keep increasing the weight.

What do you all think?

- Josh

Several training methods use that scheme, for example, 6-8 reps one day, 8-10 another, 10-12 (or even 15) another. HST uses, 15 reps for 2 weeks, 10 for 2 weeks, then 5 for 2 weeks.

I would not really call that intensity, intensity to me, is more akin to how hard you push yourself in the gym, i.e. forced reps, going to failure every set versus only on the last set, and so on.

Doing 15 reps to failure is I would say more intense than going to 5, it starts out easier but it wears me out alot more.

You don't necessarily have to use this specific strategy that your book outlined, but I do somewhat agree simply by the fact that you can't go 100% all the time. I don't think that the intensity should be decreased as much, more so you need variety in your training, for instance always doing reps at 80%1rpm, your body will adjust as a certain amount of time.

There are a number of ways to increase intensity, and there are several ways to recover from intense workouts. For instance, the book you have read relies on a cycling protocol to allow for recovery from intense workouts. Other options to recover would be to reduce volume and/or frequency or to take 1-2 weeks (or more) off from training.

Back