• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Size - lighter/volume or low/heavy ?

TattooedCarrot

Skinny Tattooed Guy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I had started my newbie workouts based on sets of about 8, less as I fatigued. I'm now being told by a fitness instructor hired by my employer (a Police Dept.) that while that may be good for strength, in order to gain SIZE (I'm a wiry hard-gainer) that I need to go lighter with reps in the 12+ range and do many more sets instead. This person says for me volume is more the key to hypertrophy and gaining size than is the heavier weights and lower reps.

What???s your take guys (and gals)?

Thanks ??? TC

You could try it for six weeks if you want and if that don`t work just lower it. You never know untill you try it everyone responds differently.

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
I had started my newbie workouts based on sets of about 8, less as I fatigued. I'm now being told by a fitness instructor hired by my employer (a Police Dept.) that while that may be good for strength, in order to gain SIZE (I'm a wiry hard-gainer) that I need to go lighter with reps in the 12+ range and do many more sets instead. This person says for me volume is more the key to hypertrophy and gaining size than is the heavier weights and lower reps.

What???s your take guys (and gals)?

Thanks ??? TC

This person is talking out of his butt! You were on the right track with sets of 8. In fact, I'd do some sets as low as 4 reps. Higher reps are a less efficient way of building size, particularly in the newbie stage.

obviously that guy has no idea what he's talkin about size would be 4 or 8 toning is usually 15-20(there are some strength exercises that u do 15reps like calves or forearms, but those are the exception)

I hope they fired that guy?

Wow, ok now this sucks getting conflicting info. I did feel like the more volume lighter weight gave more of an aerobic workout.

Then if I go back to sets of 8, what kind of overall volume would you recommend and how many times per week would be best for growing?

On the high volume I was doing like 15-20 sets until I couldn't move for large muscles and 8-10 for small on a 3-day split 3 days a week. So essentially I was hitting each muscle once a week, but hitting it hard.

Thanks for the guidance !!

well buddy,
i think u r bid hard on ur self. try to cut down your nos of sets and try to pyramid ur weight e.g for bar curls do 1 warm up set with as much reps as possible the weight should b light. then do 3 working sets pyramiding ur weight. go for it for about 4 weeks u will improve ur physique a lot.try 2 cut down ur rest b/w sets.
JUST DO IT :cool:

Muscles grow as a response to overload. There are many ways to overload a muscle however the most effecient way is through heavy resistance. If you are a newbie and natural that would also mean low volume, high intensity, heavy training.

Back