• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

How dirty should I go?

animale66

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey all -

General question I'd like to post to the group and get some opinions. I'm 31 years old, a former fatty who's been training for ~4 years and am a dual sport athlete (and desk jockey by day). I did my first powerlifting meet this last October (did "meh" as a Class III lifter) and my first bodybuilding show this month (where I did decent for a Novice in NPC). Bodybuilding is my passion and true hobby, but I do enjoy powerlifting in the offseason (as it's an activity I can do with my friends).

I'm 5'7", a definite middleweight around 180lbs (contest weight around ~160) and have run plenty of cycles before. After having finished this show though my strength is rebounding like CRAZY (I attributed it to the german volume training I was hitting prior to prep - my body's been THIRSTY for heavier lifts!).

Anyway, I'm enjoying the new found strength gains and have found that proper loading with LOTS of shitty-shitty sucrose/lactose carbs (think cookies and ice cream primarily) are really the kicker for getting my strength levels up. My concern though is that I don't want to make "too much work for myself" when it comes time to cut.

Million dollar question - how much of a focus should I put on "keeping it clean" versus "eat for pure energy"? I'd love to hear especially from those who participate in both sports.

For reference, I am not currently counting macros per se, but my protein intake is around 230g and can eat to my size pretty well. I'm at the point where I'm eating at my "comfort" level and am fully stable with bodyweight (though I'm pushing the scale up as I can). I have a lot of wiggle room to move up or down in size and have made the jump from 150lbs - 200lbs so many times I've lost count. I'm still damned vascular in my arms/legs and have a bit of belly fat but nothing that bothers me right now, and I'd estimate around 10-12% bodyfat. I'm attaching pics (and welcome constructive feedback always).

My long term goals would be to be at least a Class I lifter (405 squat, 315 bench, 500 deadlift while under sub 200 lbs) *AND* be able to qualify and compete on a National level as an amateur (with zero interest in "going pro"). Currently I'm around 300 bench, 400 squat, 430 deadlift (though I've not done 'em all on the same day under meet conditions).

Attachments

• snipped.png
    snipped.png
    292 KB · Views: 22
How dirty should you go... well as a RAW lifter not too dirty :) but a little!

Lets be clear hear, being fat doesn't move weights, especially among the RAW guys. When training PL you have more diet FLEXIBILITY to enjoy some wings and a pizza, but the rules don't just go out the window.

Rules: Low fat consumption around workout window
High Carb consumption around workout window
Low carb on non lifting days
High carb on lifting days
Keep dirty foods to a minimax :) if thats even a word.

Remember your goal is to compete in a certain weight class. The LEANER you can be and the more MUSCULAR you can be within that class the more weight you can move... muscle moves weight not fat.
now I say LEANER because well... as you know in BB prep there is a point where you are purposefully getting so lean its almost unhealthy, your body is in rejection, your strength is down, and you feel like crap... this will NEVER be your goal in PL training.
The leanest you can be while still scarfing down 6 meals a day of primarily chicken, steak, salmon, and rice. Fruits, some vegetables if possible (who cares lol), and throwing in the occasional pint of icecream because you damn well deserve it after maxing is just fine.

Hey all -

General question I'd like to post to the group and get some opinions. I'm 31 years old, a former fatty who's been training for ~4 years and am a dual sport athlete (and desk jockey by day). I did my first powerlifting meet this last October (did "meh" as a Class III lifter) and my first bodybuilding show this month (where I did decent for a Novice in NPC). Bodybuilding is my passion and true hobby, but I do enjoy powerlifting in the offseason (as it's an activity I can do with my friends).

I'm 5'7", a definite middleweight around 180lbs (contest weight around ~160) and have run plenty of cycles before. After having finished this show though my strength is rebounding like CRAZY (I attributed it to the german volume training I was hitting prior to prep - my body's been THIRSTY for heavier lifts!).

Anyway, I'm enjoying the new found strength gains and have found that proper loading with LOTS of shitty-shitty sucrose/lactose carbs (think cookies and ice cream primarily) are really the kicker for getting my strength levels up. My concern though is that I don't want to make "too much work for myself" when it comes time to cut.

Million dollar question - how much of a focus should I put on "keeping it clean" versus "eat for pure energy"? I'd love to hear especially from those who participate in both sports.

For reference, I am not currently counting macros per se, but my protein intake is around 230g and can eat to my size pretty well. I'm at the point where I'm eating at my "comfort" level and am fully stable with bodyweight (though I'm pushing the scale up as I can). I have a lot of wiggle room to move up or down in size and have made the jump from 150lbs - 200lbs so many times I've lost count. I'm still damned vascular in my arms/legs and have a bit of belly fat but nothing that bothers me right now, and I'd estimate around 10-12% bodyfat. I'm attaching pics (and welcome constructive feedback always).

My long term goals would be to be at least a Class I lifter (405 squat, 315 bench, 500 deadlift while under sub 200 lbs) *AND* be able to qualify and compete on a National level as an amateur (with zero interest in "going pro"). Currently I'm around 300 bench, 400 squat, 430 deadlift (though I've not done 'em all on the same day under meet conditions).
NM I guess I didn't read it. All.. Anyways ^this guy and McDousche are our resident pl ers

Awesome - thanks CK... I'll see if I can moderate my cookie and ice cream addiction some...

Sugar's like crack cocaine after a prep... and even more addicting when you get your short term goal outta it (strength in this case)!

Awesome - thanks CK... I'll see if I can moderate my cookie and ice cream addiction some...

Sugar's like crack cocaine after a prep... and even more addicting when you get your short term goal outta it (strength in this case)!

Haha I understand that, but after a few weeks or months depending on the person you will quickly start growing excess fat that is now going to benefit you too much in PL

Sure some big old fat guys are strong but if your goal is to get strong being fat isn't the golden ticket

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

For whatever it's worth, esp when you've got an aspect of making a weight for competition and maybe doing some extreme short time cutting or water drop, give consideration to the impact on your body. The mess I've seen some Bikini girls become after an overly aggressive or short-term mega swings in diet is really sad to see. Even if for the big guys it doesn't matter that much, it still has to be really brutal on the body that has to take all of these stresses. So I'd lean towards not going ultra sloppy sugar / fat / sodium laden stuff, but rather approach it like a cheat every now & then.

Back