• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Bodybuilding Is Not A Sport

IML Gear Cream!
Bodybuilding is not a sport! To me, a sport requires you to be athletic and there is no athleticism in bodybuilding. Lifting heavy weights, eating right and having excellent genetics does not constitute athleticism in my eyes.

opinions vary

this is kinda dumb its like kids in high school tellin the cheerleaders that cheerleading isnt a sport who give a shit if it is or isnt some people think it is and others dont get over it

Bodybuilding as a sport because you don't do anything strenuous during the actual competition, regardless of what you do to look like what you are, the physical part does not take place during the actual competition, you are simply posing now you can argue that posing is a sport I suppose but the strenuous part of bodybuilding isn't done in competition and therefore can not be factored in when assessing the definition of the event. Bodybuilding is more like working on a peice of clay for years and years and showing it off, so if Bodybuilding is a sport so is Show & Tell.

You try doing a routine (fitness routines frequently involve gymnastics) after training and dieting, it is strenuous to get on stage and pose.

I think a more interesting question is why people on a BBing board would not want something that they participate in some way to be considered a sport?

x
x
x
T

Bodybuilding is not a sport! To me, a sport requires you to be athletic and there is no athleticism in bodybuilding. Lifting heavy weights, eating right and having excellent genetics does not constitute athleticism in my eyes.

ath·let·ic (th-ltk)
adj.
1. Of or befitting athletics or athletes.
2. Characterized by or involving physical activity or exertion; active: an athletic lifestyle; an athletic child.
3. Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build. See Synonyms at muscular.

Of which one is athleticism.

:)

x
x
x

T

The question posed is, "is weight lifting a sport".

First of all, lets cut the bullshit, and go straight to the dictionary. Which at least 5 people already have.

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
???noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

ath·lete /ˈæθlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ath-leet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
???noun
a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

There is no "in my opinion". There is no "my belief". There is no room for subjective thought. Bodybuilding competitors are athletes in every sense of the literal word, and competitive bodybuilding is a sport in every sense of the literal word.

Now, finally will people stop the nonsense. If you don't think bodybuilding is a sport, you are wrong. This isn't about opinions, this is about the literal fucking meaning of the words in question. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Webster, otherwise shut the fuck up.

I definitely consider pro bodybuilders athletes, as far as bodybuilding being a sport per se I can see room for debate and how many view a bodybuilding show as a "beauty pageant" since there is nothing athletic about the competition itself and it is extremely subjective.

I definitely consider pro bodybuilders athletes, as far as bodybuilding being a sport per se I can see room for debate and how many view a bodybuilding show as a "beauty pageant" since there is nothing athletic about the competition itself and it is extremely subjective.

sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
???noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

So, you believe that posing and flexing requires no skill? If so, why do bodybuilders take classes in just posing? Also, do you consider the competitors to have no physical prowess? Also, do you think that bodybuilding competitors lack a competitive nature?

I am disappointed to hear you say that there is room for debate.

I'm sure that half of you guys saying that bodybuilding is a sport also don't believe golf is one.

I'm sure that half of you guys saying that bodybuilding is a sport also don't believe golf is one.

Golf is sport. It is one of the most hand-eye coordinated sports there is. I think hitting a golf ball is harder than hitting a baseball. I can crush a baseball, I played gold for 4 years and still can't hit a descent shot.

Hunting on the other hand is not a sport.

IML Gear Cream!
Golf is sport. It is one of the most hand-eye coordinated sports there is. I think hitting a golf ball is harder than hitting a baseball. I can crush a baseball, I played gold for 4 years and still can't hit a descent shot.

Hunting on the other hand is not a sport.

Agreed. I can't understand hunters. Why do you want to kill an animal?

Why, when the odds are overwhelmingly in your favour, that's not sport.

How about we enclose of an area and release some lions, jaguars, wolves and feral dogs into the same area as you. Now that evens it up a bit. That's sport.

First of all, lets cut the bullshit, and go straight to the dictionary. Which at least 5 people already have.

There is no "in my opinion". There is no "my belief". There is no room for subjective thought. Bodybuilding competitors are athletes in every sense of the literal word, and competitive bodybuilding is a sport in every sense of the literal word.

Now, finally will people stop the nonsense. If you don't think bodybuilding is a sport, you are wrong. This isn't about opinions, this is about the literal fucking meaning of the words in question. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Webster, otherwise shut the fuck up.

Yes, I know better than all the experts and reference material that humans have developed over the millenia.

Well said, I cannot believe the hubris at times, 'In my opinion'..................

Unless you are an expert in the field, your opinion is just that, your opinion, it doesn't mean NADA

x
x
x

T

Yes, I know better than all the experts and reference material that humans have developed over the millenia.

T

I don't buy that. I have been playing REAL sports (basketball, soccer, kickboxing) all my life and the activity you engage in called bodybuilding is not a fucking sport. The bottom line, you can be a super-dedicated workout animal, bench press 400lbs for 20 reps, but at the end of the day what you're judged by is ... "oh, look how pretty his feathers are..."

Sorry, but this is not how it works in sports. Again, my point is not to devalue all the dedication, commitment, knowledge, and drugs it takes to build a competitive physique, but simply to point out, that you are not athletes. As a real athlete in ever sense of the word, I do not want to be likened to bodybuilders. Bodybuilders share many of the same characteristics as do hardcore athletes, however, the end activity is still not a fucking sport. I'm through.

Allow me to illustrate:

This is athletes playing a sport:
rugby.jpg

This is bodybuilders posing on stage:
bodybuilders.gif

This is athletes playing a sport:
SoccerPic.jpg

This is bodybuilders competing:
stage3.JPG

Cheap and cheesy, I know. But this thread calls for it. Now get real, please.

Wow never get in to law ;)

You are missing the argument totally, the definition of a sport is judged by the scored event more or less.

The scored event in bodybuilding is barely more physical than a high school play, what bodybuilders do before and after the Show are completely irrelevant when classifying an event, the only thing that can be taken in to consideration is the activity at the event.

Here's my point in essence: Nancy is the most in shape person on the planet, Nancy likes to make balloon animals competitively, the core workouts make it so she can blow up balloons faster. Now because Nancy works out so much before making balloons she wants to classify balloon making a sport.

Essentially that is what the argument for Bodybuilding as a sport is.

I don't buy that. I have been playing REAL sports (basketball, soccer, kickboxing) all my life and the activity you engage in called bodybuilding is not a fucking sport. The bottom line, you can be a super-dedicated workout animal, bench press 400lbs for 20 reps, but at the end of the day what you're judged by is ... "oh, look how pretty his feathers are..."

Sorry, but this is not how it works in sports. Again, my point is not to devalue all the dedication, commitment, knowledge, and drugs it takes to build a competitive physique, but simply to point out, that you are not athletes. As a real athlete in ever sense of the word, I do not want to be likened to bodybuilders. Bodybuilders share many of the same characteristics as do hardcore athletes, however, the end activity is still not a fucking sport. I'm through.

Im on the fence on subject..

But would you consider power lifting a sport?

What about Strongman?

Bodybuilding no.

PLifting - yes
Strongman - yes.

well, doesnt that mean, that they are just showing off their hard work in a different way? I mean powerlifters lift to get strong, BB lift to get big. They both have point based competitions, and both are a lot of work.

How is PL different than BB? (from a sport perspective)

Like I said im on the fence, but no one has really presented a really solid argument from either side.

BB to me is like an artist or a sculptor. They are using there knowledge and tools to create a ascetic piece of work. Upon which they get graded and rewarded for there accomplishments by the guidelines set forth.

A PL or strongman uses there training in an event, and competes using those talents, much like any other athlete.

I don't see why it is such an insult to BB'ers. I don't doubt or undermine the work they do, but a competition is just that a competition. Just cause the compete doesn't make it a sport.

IML Gear Cream!
If it's not a sport then why does it hurt like one?

I have a question for everyone: Is competitive juggling a sport?

So, you believe that posing and flexing requires no skill? If so, why do bodybuilders take classes in just posing? Also, do you consider the competitors to have no physical prowess? Also, do you think that bodybuilding competitors lack a competitive nature?

I am disappointed to hear you say that there is room for debate.

Is dancing a sport too because it takes a lot of skill. Dancers are athletic, skilled, strong, coordinated, but I don't think most people see dancing as a sport either.

The point is I think most will say a sport has to have an objective measure, i.e. getting the ball in the hoop, or whatever.

I used to argue the opposite that bodybuilding was a sport, but I see it more as of a way of life, when taken to the pro level bodybuilders are most definitely athletes, but I cannot say that posing on stage makes it a sport the way I consider NFL football a sport.

Powerlifting is a sport, you either lift the weight or you don't, one of the reasons it's in the Olympics and bodybuilding is not. Although I am not sure why many events are in the Olympics and bodybuilding is not, i.e. figure skating and gymnastics, the reason I say those two is because the judging is very subjective like bodybuilding judging is.

I have a great way of determining if it is a sport or not, even though it is not in the favour of bodybuilding (yet).

It is a sport when it is in the Olympic Games

x
x
x

T

Yeah even though that is the only venue I would react this way but I would die laughing if they went from the javellin to posing in skimpy swim trunks

I have a great way of determining if it is a sport or not, even though it is not in the favour of bodybuilding (yet).

It is a sport when it is in the Olympic Games

x
x
x

T

Baseball and Fastball have been dropped from the Olympics, so are they no longer sports?

Back